Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Apple's iPhone 4 press conference (good news for iphone 4 users)

XS_THE_MACHINE
    I wonder why they couldn't just put the antenna where NO ONE would grab it. Like on top of the phone maybe?
    "Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting"

clicks to save kids

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] moddolicous View Post
    I wonder why they couldn't just put the antenna where NO ONE would grab it. Like on top of the phone maybe?
    lol true, thats generally where a atenna sits, Dont know why they put it where everyone usually grabs the phone by

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iTravis View Post
    nice find. that was hilarious

Xtreme Mentor
    bad technical design!!!!!
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ownage View Post
    Blown out of proportion, and everybody's falling far it. A bit like the US gov and press f!cked Toyota bigtime.
    Blown out of proportion by Who? Nobody asked JObs to make his press release/pseudo apology. There was a problem picked up and reported by a major reviewer (Consumer Reports), and Apple responded. They could have just kept quiet. Apple users would have never admitted there was an big issue.
    Asus Rampage Extreme x58, T.R.U.E. Copper
    I7920 SLBEJ 21 x 210, 6GB DDR3 Mushkin 1683
    Win7x64, 4870X2 Quad-fire + 240GT PhysX

3dMark06 - 30,048 3dmark Vantage - 32,414

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme X.I.P.
    there are 2 antennas, not one, and putting it on top would result in weak reception, they use as much of the frame for the antenna as possible
    its not about squeezing the phone, its about slightly shorting the two antennas by touching the thin split between them.
    pressure does help, but as long as your hands are dry it might not do a lot... try it with sticky sweaty summertime hands and its a different thing

if you ask me the point that was really outrageous is that they were charging 30$ for a 1us$ rubber string that fixes a design issue...
    is this blown out of proportion? hell yeah! but really, if you hype up a product like this and claim its the best of the best, you cant make a stupid mistake like this and then try to get away with it by blaming your customers... the reason it got blown out of proportion is because its apple and because of their arrogance... if this would have happened to htc samsung or nokia, it wouldnt have been blown out of proportion... why? theyd admit it and try to solve the problem...

apple hypes their phones up to the level of a ferrari car, well ferrari wouldnt get away with a flawed new model either, even if its a tiny flaw...
    people KNOW they pay extra but they are ok with it as long as they get the illusion of having the best...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by texasreefer View Post
    Apple users would have never admitted there was an big issue.
    How do you define "big issue"? Because most iPhone 4 users genuinely do not experience the reception issue on daily usage enough to consider it a "big issue".

You must have personally been affected by this issue? Have you returned your iPhone 4 for a full refund?

Quote Originally Posted by creidiki View Post
    We are a band of fearless modern-day alchemists who, for fun, run solutions through sophisticated, if overpriced, separator setups, and then complain when we succeed in separating said solution.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Buy a Moto droid and stop worrying lol it does just work
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Should I upgrade to the iCrap4? I have a SE k790i right now...it seems to perform worse as a phone and takes worse pictures.
    I BLEED TOXIC GREEN

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by iTravis View Post
    LOL

Funny thing, they love their customers but when they said there was a problem, no one at apple listened... only after it hit their stock and concerns about their brand image appeared they "responded".

I was really looking after the iPhone4 but it doesnt seem right to buy a phone with antena issues and that might get replaced really fast.

Xtreme Member
    Well a company gets to show its class when they release something thats got major issues and isnt working as intended.

Apple have clearly shown theirs , their arrogance is disgusting.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal_fantasy View Post
    How do you define "big issue"? Because most iPhone 4 users genuinely do not experience the reception issue on daily usage enough to consider it a "big issue".

You must have personally been affected by this issue? Have you returned your iPhone 4 for a full refund?
    I purchased an HTC evo on launch date, so NO I have not been affected by this issue. When a big dealer almost recalls a product, and to give free bumpers TO THE ENTIRE united states is big. Yet, your an Apple user and claim the problem is overblown. Those 2 dollar bumpers retail for 19.99....this is a big deal.
    Last edited by texasreefer; 07-19-2010 at 08:35 AM.
    Asus Rampage Extreme x58, T.R.U.E. Copper
    I7920 SLBEJ 21 x 210, 6GB DDR3 Mushkin 1683
    Win7x64, 4870X2 Quad-fire + 240GT PhysX

3dMark06 - 30,048 3dmark Vantage - 32,414

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am Xtreme
    i do notice with my evo there are some road where i dont get good signal when its on the dashboard, i move it to the passenger seat and its back to normal. (i use streaming music while driving) i cant tell if its the mount thats hurting the signal, or just its position in the car while im in a weak zone

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I purchased an HTC evo on launch date, so NO I have not been affected by this issue. When a big dealer almost recalls a product, and to give free bumpers TO THE ENTIRE united states is big.
    Right.. so you don't have first hand experience. Glad we got that out of the way.

The free bumper was given as a response to the media outcry, and not a response to the "defect" of the phone. If there were no hype, there will be no free bumper. "Almost" recalling a product... I'd like to see where you got that idea from. Apple certainly did not even consider recalling the phone. If I missed something, please point me to your source and I'd gladly apologise for my mistake.

Yet, your an Apple user and claim the problem is overblown. Those 2 dollar bumpers retail for 19.99....this is a big deal.
    Why are you putting words into my mouth? Where in my post did I "claim" the situation is "overblown" or even sound remotely trying to imply the same thing? I was speaking from experience, you were speaking from... people's opinion on the interwebz?

If you think something is overpriced then don't buy it. Why so serious about the price of a piece of rubber band for a phone that you don't even have? Are you doing this for us iPhone users? We must all have some serious money management issues or sanity problems that enables us to purchase £600 phones that can't even make a call and love it anyway. Please save us from Apple's grasp!

I really don't know what's worse, those that buys an Apple product and love it, or those that never bought the Apple product and hate it.

We are a band of fearless modern-day alchemists who, for fun, run solutions through sophisticated, if overpriced, separator setups, and then complain when we succeed in separating said solution.

I am Xtreme
    almost all accessories for any product are overpriced, some things are nicer quality or provide a unique function and worth almost their price, but those rubber guards are pennies to make, probably costs more to package and ship them than just produce them.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    almost all accessories for any product are overpriced, some things are nicer quality or provide a unique function and worth almost their price, but those rubber guards are pennies to make, probably costs more to package and ship them than just produce them.
    Then don't buy them? I really don't see what all the fuss is about. Did the price offend you personally?

I am Xtreme
    Then don't buy them? I really don't see what all the fuss is about. Did the price offend you personally?
    i dont see why you are so worried about me making general statements about supply and demand

Xtremeish
    I really don't know what's worse, those that buys an Apple product and love it, or those that never bought the Apple product and hate it.
    You really don't need to buy a product just to be able to criticize it, a simple practical test at the store or whatever is good enough in most cases.

I also think that rubber bumper is ridiculously overpriced, considering it's just a few grams of injection molded rubber. A person who does not flinch by that probably wouldn't flinch if a 0,8 liter bottle of water cost 15USD either.
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallenator View Post
    You really don't need to buy a product just to be able to criticize it, a simple practical test at the store or whatever is good enough in most cases.
    Note that I said "hate". I dig constructive criticisms. Not that would change anything that apple does, but at least it gets a conversation going. However there are those that makes it their life's mission to spread the hate of the Apple brand, making it as if every move Apple makes stench of money grabbing and marketing gimmicks.

The worst is when you post about your genuine experience without suffering from any problems, you're told that you just "don't know" there was a problem by someone that don't even own the product. How do you even carry on the conversation?

I really do not believe there are so many devoted Apple fans that are totally blinded by marketing, and none really sit down and have a look at their iProduct and think, hey, this is just a piece of rubbish, wrapped around in amazing marketing.

Apple must have done something right. you don't see only retards owning Apple products. Maybe, just maybe there is a reason so many people swear by Apple you don't see with any other brand?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i dont see why you are so worried about me making general statements about supply and demand
    Does your statement add anything to the conversation? Other then to whine about an overpriced product that many before you have already whined about?

I am Xtreme
    Does your statement add anything to the conversation? Other then to whine about an overpriced product that many before you have already whined about?
    your whining about people complaining, those people are complaining because we already have enough issues in most countries with money that we dont need apple coming in with awesome marketing, giving us a product we dont actually need, at a price most shouldnt be paying, just so they can show it off to their friends.

i was going over the manufacturing aspect of accessories. there use to be a day when i could by a cable or adapter from radio shack for 2$, now its 12$ for the same damn thing just because its used by an iproduct aswell.

Xtreme Addict
    I really do not believe there are so many devoted Apple fans that are totally blinded by marketing, and none really sit down and have a look at their iProduct and think, hey, this is just a piece of rubbish, wrapped around in amazing marketing.
    And I say you are wrong, the masses only know what they are told by others. They will refuse to think for themselves.

Ever worked retail? You'd have to pick up on this. If you've ever tried to break through to someone stuck on "But my friend told me (blatantly bad information) so I'm going to ignore you when provide (good information)" you know exactly what I mean.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    your whining about people complaining, those people are complaining because we already have enough issues in most countries with money that we dont need apple coming in with awesome marketing, giving us a product we dont actually need, at a price most shouldnt be paying, just so they can show it off to their friends.

i was going over the manufacturing aspect of accessories. there use to be a day when i could by a cable or adapter from radio shack for 2$, now its 12$ for the same damn thing just because its used by an iproduct aswell.
    Actually, no. I was actually sharing my experience with the device in question before you amongst some others expressed your distaste for Apple's pricing strategy.

And how would whining in an online forum help lower the price of iProduct-supported accessories? Look at it this way. Apple, being an American company, is making a killing selling their iProduct around the world. The money creates jobs for the local people and increase revenue for your debted government. So all round good thing. Wouldn't you agree? Whats a few dollars more for a cable or an adapter when it makes some of your fellow countryman richer?

Quote Originally Posted by MrMojoZ View Post
    And I say you are wrong, the masses only know what they are told by others. They will refuse to think for themselves.

Ever worked retail? You'd have to pick up on this. If you've ever tried to break through to someone stuck on "But my friend told me (blatantly bad information) so I'm going to ignore you when provide (good information)" you know exactly what I mean.
    That is a very blank statement. Why are there so much positive feedback on an Apple product, say iPhone 4, expressing that based on their own experiences, the phone is a great product. Are their experiences "told by others"? Are all the tech review sites that gave the iPhone 4 top scores just minions of Apple and should not be trusted? Are these the sort of "blatantly bad information" you were talking about? Where can I find the "good information"?

If, the Apple user used their product, and found it to suit their needs, even if it is under the spell of "what other people have told them". Wouldn't that mean it is a great product that the person genuinely appreciates? or is there a standard that all product have to satisfy to be regarded as "fit for purpose"?

I am Xtreme
    Actually, no. I was actually sharing my experience with the device in question before you amongst some others expressed your distaste for Apple's pricing strategy.

And how would whining in an online forum help lower the price of iProduct-supported accessories? Look at it this way. Apple, being an American company, is making a killing selling their iProduct around the world. The money creates jobs for the local people and increase revenue for your debted government. So all round good thing. Wouldn't you agree? Whats a few dollars more for a cable or an adapter when it makes some of your fellow countryman richer?
    i did say almost all accessories are like this, not just apple ones. when you work in retail you see this all the time. people buy a printer then they have to buy a 20$ usb cable to go with it, MOST, and i promise you the number is more than 50%, complained about having to buy something they know is dirt cheap, because you NEED it for the product to work right.

That is a very blank statement. Why are there so much positive feedback on an Apple product, say iPhone 4, expressing that based on their own experiences, the phone is a great product. Are their experiences "told by others"? Are all the tech review sites that gave the iPhone 4 top scores just minions of Apple and should not be trusted? Are these the sort of "blatantly bad information" you were talking about? Where can I find the "good information"?

If, the Apple user used their product, and found it to suit their needs, even if it is under the spell of "what other people have told them". Wouldn't that mean it is a great product that the person genuinely appreciates? or is there a standard that all product have to satisfy to be regarded as "fit for purpose"?
    alot of the negativity is coming from how apple is handling this. they make just 1 new phone, htc has made a dozen different phones this year. so apple needs to swing and hit, htc can miss a few times and not affect every owner. so for steve to email people back saying, "no, deal with it and hold it right", is kinda a slap in the face for anyone who had respect for them. apple tries to sell an image more than a product, that image is about high quality and functionality. we can easily see its not that expensive to make a phone, this one just has glass on the back and front and people think it costs 2x as much. the other part of the image about quality is hurt when they have a clear issue that many people can see coming just from watching the conference. was it lack of testing? or lack of caring? or an attempt to sell more bumpers? all are bad answers, and i cant think of any right answer that apple can give.

Xtreme Addict
    Apple must have done something right. you don't see only retards owning Apple products. Maybe, just maybe there is a reason so many people swear by Apple you don't see with any other brand?
    Sure Apple did something right. They made a good smartphone. But so have several other companies. The fact that Apple has such a huge marketshare even in the presence of roughly technically equivalent products indicates that there is something more then just technical features at work here.

I find your argument to be a common one that dismisses the power of social pressure on human beings. Despite some people's wish to forget that fact, we are a social species. We also rely on emotions more then we would care to admit. Things like group pressure, media hype, familiarity, vanity, name recognition, appeals to emotion, etc have a huge effect on people's buying decisions. I'd wager they have as much, or more, of an effect as technical features. If those things didn't have a large effect on people's purchasing decisions then companies wouldn't dedicate so much money to marketing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast