Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ASUS Working on MARS II Dual GTX 480 Graphics Accelerator

Xtreme Addict
    Well if you guys can't cool it then you probably shouldn't buy it.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Ch@pS View Post
    You guys don't seem to understand the point of the "Mars II", let me explain.

Mars II:

Normal high end graphics card:

understand?

LOL but that chicken eat more grain
    WILL CUDDLE FOR FOOD

Quote Originally Posted by JF-AMD View Post
    Dual proc client systems are like sex in high school. Everyone talks about it but nobody is really doing it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hmm the winter is coming....

Quote Originally Posted by creidiki View Post
    We are a band of fearless modern-day alchemists who, for fun, run solutions through sophisticated, if overpriced, separator setups, and then complain when we succeed in separating said solution.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Ch@pS View Post
    You guys don't seem to understand the point of the "Mars II", let me explain.

Mars II:

Normal high end graphics card:

understand?
    It's all about the coque

why are tantalum caps not used on this one?

Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6
    Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.4Ghz (Zalman CNPS9700 LED)
    Corsair Twin2X4096-6400C4DHX @ DDR2-1066
    RIP GeForce 9800 GX2 715/1720/1050
    2 x 500GB WD Caviar SE (RAID 0)
    Corsair HX-620W
    ACER P243WAID 1920 x 1200

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by snoid_zero View Post
    why are tantalum caps not used on this one?
    Why should there be?

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    Cherry picked GPU's, awesome PCB design,
    run two of them and have a third slot for PhysX.
    1. how? custom bin from nvidia? i doubt it...
    how do you pretest a massive bga chip like this please?
    way way way too complicated and time consuming = expensive
    2. awesome pcb design... better than that of highend non ref 480s? dont think so... and even if, you are only going to notice it on ln2...
    3. so these are going to be dual slot only? i find that very hard to believe... and even if... quad 480 sli... with a dedicated physix card... right... why dont you just bolt 2 more 480s to the side of the case? that probably improves your gaming experience even more... its hard to measure, but its true! you can feel it, give it a try! ^^

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    1. how? custom bin from nvidia? i doubt it...
    how do you pretest a massive bga chip like this please?
    way way way too complicated and time consuming = expensive
    2. awesome pcb design... better than that of highend non ref 480s? dont think so... and even if, you are only going to notice it on ln2...
    3. so these are going to be dual slot only? i find that very hard to believe... and even if... quad 480 sli... with a dedicated physix card... right... why dont you just bolt 2 more 480s to the side of the case? that probably improves your gaming experience even more... its hard to measure, but its true! you can feel it, give it a try! ^^
    I like your style of comedy.

ASUS recieves chips. ASUS tests chips. Good chips go in non reference 480's. Really good chips go in MARS 2.

As for awesome PCB design I was meaning fitting that many MOSFET's and power phases along with memory and two GPUs on a single PCB that is THAT small.
    Smile

Xtreme Addict
    I'd buy 2 of these rather then 4 GTX480 just so I'd have room left over for a raid card, sound card, etc.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Solus Corvus View Post
    I'd buy 2 of these rather then 4 GTX480 just so I'd have room left over for a raid card, sound card, etc.
    I thought about this too. But with that noise and heat, you better go with 4x single slot water-cooled 480s and still have space left for your raid and sound cards (assuming you'll be using classified or some other mobo that has 6 or 7 pci-e slots).

Xtreme X.I.P.
    :P
    ASUS recieves chips. ASUS tests chips. Good chips go in non reference 480's. Really good chips go in MARS 2.
    how???
    you either need a custom bin machine which would cost 100k us if not a LOT more than that, or youd need custom 480 pcbs with a pressure bga strap on socket. ive seen those sockets for memory chips, but thats sub 100pin and thats already buggy, getting good contact with those sockets is a huge pita... especially if you actually have to cool the chip actively somehow...
    its not impossible, but i find it very hard to believe that anybody does this right now... nvidia probably has a custom bin machine, but i HIGHLY doubt any of their partners have one, or that nvidia gives them access to them or gives them custom bins...

its not impossible, but unlikely...
    very unlikely...

sorry, without any infos about how asus supposedly does this, i call
    the only time i can imagine something really gets binned if there are 2 versions of one product that use the same pcb... then yeah, sure, its easy and viable to bin... otherwise its just not viable...

Xtreme 3D Team
    :P
    how???
    you either need a custom bin machine which would cost 100k us if not a LOT more than that, or youd need custom 480 pcbs with a pressure bga strap on socket. ive seen those sockets for memory chips, but thats sub 100pin and thats already buggy, getting good contact with those sockets is a huge pita... especially if you actually have to cool the chip actively somehow...
    its not impossible, but i find it very hard to believe that anybody does this right now... nvidia probably has a custom bin machine, but i HIGHLY doubt any of their partners have one, or that nvidia gives them access to them or gives them custom bins...

its not impossible, but unlikely...
    very unlikely...

sorry, without any infos about how asus supposedly does this, i call
    the only time i can imagine something really gets binned if there are 2 versions of one product that use the same pcb... then yeah, sure, its easy and viable to bin... otherwise its just not viable...
    What about gigabyte's "Super Gauntlet binning" or whatever it is

How many of these things are you really expecting them to sell? They will probably be priced at 1k.
    Smile

Xtreme Addict

How many of these things are you really expecting them to sell? They will probably be priced at 1k.
    A thousand dollars would be a bargain considering two of these cards already cost that much.

Considering this is an absolutely unique product(not a existing product with pumped up ram), this is going to be very expensive for Asus to make.

The cooler on this chip is going to have to be the mother of all air coolers if it makes it to production. Honestly they should sell it for 1400 MSRP and put a good water block and a premade water cooling solution ALA corsair h50.
    Core i7 920@ 4.66ghz(H2O)
    6gb OCZ platinum
    4870x2 + 4890 in Trifire
    2*640 WD Blacks
    750GB Seagate.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Solus Corvus View Post
    Mars is cold.
    Mars II is not.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    good question.. i wondered what they mean by that for a while...
    they never explained it either, and since there is only one product based on that pcb, i find it hard to believe they really bin them...

Xtremely Bad Overclocker
    racing games should feel great with that wind in your hair from those two outside mounted 480's

Mars II - well somehow I hope we can set one under ln2 on GC 2010 like we did with Mars I back in 2009 but apart from that I would never consider buying it myself...I would go for some solar cells first

And for the question "What was first - chicken or egg?":

Last edited by SoF; 07-20-2010 at 04:01 AM.
    | '12 IvyBridge - "ticks different"... | AwardFabrik IvyBridge round I by SoF | AwardFabrik IvyBridge round II by angoholic & stummerwinter
    | '11 The SandyBridge madness... | AwardFabrik / Team LDK OC-Season 2011/2012 Opening Event
    | '10 Gulftown LaunchDay OC round up @ASUS RIIE | 3DM05 2x GPU WR LIVE @Cebit 2010 @ASUS MIIIE | SandyBridge arrived @ASUS P8P67

| '09 Foxconn Avenger | E8600 | Foxconn A79A-S | Phenom II 940 BE | LaunchDay Phenom II OC round up
    | '08 7.438s 1m LN2 | AMD 1m WR LN2 | 2nd AOCM | Phenom II teasing
    | '07 100% E2140 | 106.5% E2160 | 100% E4500 | 103% E4400 | 5508 MHZ E6850 | 7250 MHZ P4 641 126.5% by SoF and AwardFabrik Crew all on Gigabyte DS3P c? and LN2...
    | '06 3800+ X2 Manchester 0531TPEW noHS 3201MHZ c? | 3200+ Venice noHS 3279MHZ c? | Opteron 148 0536CABYE 3405MHZ c? all on Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI compressorcooled

| '05 3500+[NC], 3000+[W], 2x 3200+[W], 3500+[NC], 3200+[V] 0516GPDW

Quote Originally Posted by saaya
    sof pulled a fermi on all of us !!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123