Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a leak!

Xtreme Member

I have a leak!

I finally got everything installed, now I have a small leak near one of my rad fittings, the way the rad was threaded, it made the fitting go in at a weird angle, but it felt secure. I was filling the loop, when I hear the sound of bubbles, and sure enough theres a leak at the rad.

What should I do to make it stop leaking, and/or how can an I drain it and fix the angle?
    Last edited by Artemis; 07-10-2010 at 07:16 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Artemis, please resize them, so we can see it properly. Unlike with watercooling, pics aren't better when they're bigger .
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

Xtreme Member
    fixed

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The angle of the fitting won't let the o-ring seat properly. Just use some teflon tape on the threads and you should be good to go.
    Intel I7 920 D0 @ 4.2g------------EK Supreme HF
    EVGA X58 SLI LE------------------EK-FB EVGA X58 LE
    nVidia GTX 580----------------------EK-FC580 GTX
    6g Corsair DDR3----------------DDC 3.2 w/ Petra's top
    OCZ 120g Vertex SSD------------------PA120.4
    WD 150g Raptor
    WD 500g
    ASUS Xonar DS
    HX1000 psu
    Silverstone TJ07 case

Xtreme Member
    You can't achieved a proper seal at such an angle and do try to reseat the fitting. The O-ring will need to be compressed to prevent leak.

Phil

i7 4GHz ♦ Asus R2G ♦ OCZ Intel XMP ♦ Asus 5870 ♦ Crucial M4 ♦ Swiftech ♦ Koolance

X4 3.5GHz ♦ Biostar 890GXE ♦ OCZ AMD BE ♦ Asus 8800 ♦ WD Veloci ♦ Swiftech ♦ XSPC

Xtreme Member
    The radiator thread seems to be at an angle, I tried the tape, but it just started leaking again a few minutes later. anyway I can re-thread the fitting to fit the angled rad?

I am Xtreme
    Grainy and blurred pics are useless. We need clear pics to see what you see and to be able to recommend a course of action.

Tape does not work on these style threads.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

rma

Xtreme Member
    Is that a swiftech rad?

Try getting 'fatter' O-Rings. I couldn't fit my 1/2'' ID 3/4'' OD bitspower fittings on the swiftech rad without a pair of those. They are about double the size (fatness) of the ones that came with the fitting itself, and they make a great seal - hand tightened only, and not a single leak yet.

Xtreme Member
    Nah.. its the awkward angle that's causing the problem. Is this a new rad? Nevertheless, you should contact Swiftech for help.

Phil

i7 4GHz ♦ Asus R2G ♦ OCZ Intel XMP ♦ Asus 5870 ♦ Crucial M4 ♦ Swiftech ♦ Koolance

X4 3.5GHz ♦ Biostar 890GXE ♦ OCZ AMD BE ♦ Asus 8800 ♦ WD Veloci ♦ Swiftech ♦ XSPC

Xtreme Member
    Yeah its new.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by facboy View Post
    rma
    I'm thinking this as well but I'd like to see some clear pics just to make sure it's something he can't really do anything about without voiding the warranty first.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Addict
    BP compression fittings did not work on my swiftech mcr rad, since swiftech threads are recessed, and the BP fitting is too large to fit into the recessed area, so the BP fitting metal hits raised outer edge of swiftech metal around the threads, and so impossible to put any pressure on 0 ring.

Unless swiftech rads have been redesigned, since I bought them.

EDIT: I just tried BP rotary, even it wont fit on my swiftech rad, still too large to fit in recessed area. When I had mcr220 in loop I just used regular fitting on it. It is the same issue with EK reservoirs, the recessed area is too small for the relatively larger BP fitting diameter, but rotary works on those.
    Last edited by rge; 07-10-2010 at 08:20 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I changed the tape and re-attached the fitting now. Few minutes without a leak, hoping for the best!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rge View Post
    BP compression fittings did not work on my swiftech mcr rad, since swiftech threads are recessed, and the BP fitting is too large to fit into the recessed area, so the BP fitting metal hits raised outer edge of swiftech metal around the threads, and so impossible to put any pressure on 0 ring.

Unless swiftech rads have been redesigned, since I bought them.

EDIT: I just tried BP rotary, even it wont fit on my swiftech rad, still too large to fit in recessed area. When I had mcr220 in loop I just used regular fitting on it. It is the same issue with EK reservoirs, the recessed area is too small for the relatively larger BP fitting diameter, but rotary works on those.

That's the same problem I ran into - but the fat O-Ring solved it. Now it's tight leak free with about 1mm between the fitting and the rad surface.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by jumper2high View Post
    That's the same problem I ran into - but the fat O-Ring solved it. Now it's tight leak free with about 1mm between the fitting and the rad surface.
    Thanks for info...I had wondered if that would work, next time I am using one I will do that.

Xtreme Addict
    Either a big momma O-Ring or use a real barb, I fear tape might not be 100% permanent leak seal in that case.
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tool_462 View Post
    Either a big momma O-Ring or use a real barb, I fear tape might not be 100% permanent leak seal in that case.
    Seemed pretty tight.

I have alot of micro bubbles on the side of my res, will they just work themselfs out? All the big bubbles seem to be gone, I rocked the case back and forth a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by rge View Post
    Looks like they rads was redesigned because im running a CC5 BP compression fittings and it's sealed well enough without problems.
    P.S: I bought rad in like 2 weeks ago.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    Seemed pretty tight.

I have alot of micro bubbles on the side of my res, will they just work themselfs out? All the big bubbles seem to be gone, I rocked the case back and forth a few times.
    A few flicks and pinches of the tubing and res will take care of the last few small bubbles.
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tool_462 View Post
    A few flicks and pinches of the tubing and res will take care of the last few small bubbles.
    tapped on the res with a scewdriver and stuff but theres still tons of bubbles stuck on the res wall, no more visable ones in the tubing.

Xtreme Member
    Air will most likely get trapped in the radiator, so you should (if you can) tilt the case around so that a bubble could escape through the exhaust hole of the radiator.

Mine isn't mounted yet firmly (just sits on top of the case at the moment) - and when ever I move it a bit, bubbles run out of it.

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    ^ +1

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    tapped on the res with a scewdriver and stuff but theres still tons of bubbles stuck on the res wall, no more visable ones in the tubing.
    air like that took about 24hours to clean out fully in my loop.

Xtreme Member
    Also I can hear the water going through my GPU block isthat bad?

And here is a video of my loop specs in info:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=perkj2kYjtI

You cant really see all the bubbles in the video, I took it with my phone.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    if you just put the loop together it's normal, it will go away after a few hours to a day
    Intel i7 980x / 3001B331
    HK3.0+LaingDDCPRO+XSPCRX360+1xMCR220
    EVGA Classified X58+EK FB
    6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 7-8-7-20(TR3X6G1866C7GT)
    ASUS GTX580
    Enermax Revolution+85 950w
    Corsair Obsidian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast