Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad bios flash

Xtreme Member

Bad bios flash

Flashed my Gigabyte 890fxa ud7 to the latest beta bios today,F3c3,now my board wont post at all,tried everything,cant even get to the bios screen,just keeps cycling as far as C1 on the lcd post chips,then starts again.Changed ram,no difference.Can any of you good people help,i'm at a loss as to what to try next.

I thought this board was supposed to be "dual bios",if one became corrupt the second one took over,not on my board,lol!!
    ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME, I7 5960X, 16Gig GSKILL DDR4 2666, CUSTOM WATERCOOLING[/SIZE]

Xtreme Member
    Hi.

Press the "clear CMOS" button that the mobo has and read the manual to use the BIOS xpress recovery with that ur problem should be solved.
    SAINT19

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.". Albert Einstein.
    Max overclock archived, 1090T @ 6.5GHz

Phenom II X6 1090T BE @ 3.8GHz and NB @ 3000MHz both with 1.325V on BIOS
    Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 Rev. 2.0 with F4 BIOS
    Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600 8-8-8-21-1T
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning 2GB
    Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD + Hitachi 2x500GB HDD
    EK Supreme HF Full Nickel + MCP655-D5 + MCR320-QP

you must take a look to the DUAL BIOS technology of GIGABYTE motherboards, i think that probably your bios is failing so you have to activate the second one, they call it "BACK UP BIOS", that would be the solution or just write a letter to the gigabyte support service, they have to give you an advice about what do you have to do.

try this:

when you turn on your computer inmediatly appear a gigabyte logo with some options below it, i mean ( press supr-->enter setup) (press f8 -->boot options) (press.....bios flash)

you must choose the bios flash utility then you won't flash your bios again with the latest version F3c3 i mean before this version or the original state, just try this way if you won't get anything write another post.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saint19 View Post
    Hi.

Press the "clear CMOS" button that the mobo has and read the manual to use the BIOS xpress recovery with that ur problem should be solved.
    Done the clear cmos many times,makes no difference,removed battery,etc,etc,still no post,as i said,i cant even get to the bios screen.
    ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME, I7 5960X, 16Gig GSKILL DDR4 2666, CUSTOM WATERCOOLING[/SIZE]

Does the gigabyte logo appear after you turn on your computer?, if not i insist, write to the gigabyte service support, i have been reading some post about the problems with corrupted bios and probably you have a bad OC configuration or something like that.

Xtreme Member
    Use the wire to short connect the Vcc ang GND pin of the primary BIOS, then boot. (Check the datasheet of your BIOS IC)
    It should post with the backup BIOS, then remove the wire, and Flash your BIOS.
    This saved my EP45 one year ago..Worth trying again...

Xtreme Member
    Well i got my replacement UD7 today,got the latest bios from Gigabyte,F3D,flashed,and guess what,same bloody thing,wont get past C1 on the post led's,exactly the same problem as my previous board.God i am mad at the moment.I am sure theres something wrong with the bios,or q-flash.

Back it's going,another RMA,begining to loose faith in Gigabyte boards,how can i get the same problem twice,F2a bios,no problems,any F3,trashes board.

Brilliant Idiot
    short pin7 to ground...........on bios chip to avoid the need to rma.

It will force to boot off backup bios.

I have yet to see a f3 bios roll out from giga nor have they informed me of one.......not sure if your even flashing right bios for 890FX-UD7.
    Last edited by chew*; 07-20-2010 at 10:51 AM.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post

I have yet to see a f3 bios roll out from giga nor have they informed me of one.......not sure if your even flashing right bios for 890FX-UD7.
    As far as the pin shorting goes why wouldn't gigabyte just tell their customers that?

For Rev 2.0:
    http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList...7_v2.0_f3d.exe
    Smile

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    As far as the pin shorting goes why wouldn't gigabyte just tell their customers that?

For Rev 2.0:
    http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList...7_v2.0_f3d.exe
    I think the reasons are obvious.

Average joe goes to short pins, slips shorts to something else. Talks smack about how giga sux when a slight of hand is real reason board is fried....rma's board.

Etc it's an unsupported way to force board to backup bios.
    heatware chew*

Xtreme 3D Team

Average joe goes to short pins, slips shorts to something else. Talks smack about how giga sux when a slight of hand is real reason board is fried....rma's board.

Thanks

I wonder why the board doesn't switch to the backup bios correctly, both of my boards do at least
    Smile

Xtreme Member

Thank's for the replies guy's,but i am so angry right now,why would flashing to F2a have no problems,as soon as i try the F3d,it's a no go,just my opinion,but the F3s must be seriously flawed,to have the same thing happen twice,that's not normal,both times got the update succesful message,then goes to reboot and only gets as far as C1 on the post led's.

I take it you do use Q-Flash chew*,if not,what do you use on your Giga's.??

PS i'm not a noob in this game,lol!!!!
    Last edited by moorhen2; 07-20-2010 at 11:18 AM.

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by moorhen2 View Post
    Thank's for the replies guy's,but i am so angry right now,why would flashing to F2a have no problems,as soon as i try the F3d,it's a no go,just my opinion,but the F3s must be seriously flawed,to have the same thing happen twice,that's not normal,both times got the update succesful message,then goes to reboot and only gets as far as C1 on the post led's.

I take it you do use Q-Flash chew*,if not,what do you use on your Giga's.??
    I use DOS for everything
    heatware chew*

Xtreme Member
    I use DOS for everything
    Yeh,i should go back to the old way of flashing,lol!!

Contacted vendor again,getting another replacement,after being told by "snotty nosed kid" in technical support "when you get the new board dont flash the bios",LMAO!!!!!

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by moorhen2 View Post
    Yeh,i should go back to the old way of flashing,lol!!

Contacted vendor again,getting another replacement,after being told by "snotty nosed kid" in technical support "when you get the new board dont flash the bios",LMAO!!!!!
    did you try chew's tip?

If you dont have any wire or a paperclip just take something that you dont use like a case fan and cut the wire/strip it...I've got one here I use to jump the PSU when I'm leak testing my WC setup.
    Smile

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    did you try chew's tip?

If you dont have any wire or a paperclip just take something that you dont use like a case fan and cut the wire/strip it...I've got one here I use to jump the PSU when I'm leak testing my WC setup.
    Thank's Beep,but boards been collected.

I am Xtreme
    F3D ain't working here either (always backups the bios and laods F1)

Honestly I think someone was sacked in the Gigabyte bios department as the F8D for the EP45T UD3P had boot issues too...
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post
    F3D ain't working here either (always backups the bios and laods F1)

Honestly I think someone was sacked in the Gigabyte bios department as the F8D for the EP45T UD3P had boot issues too...
    Thank god for that,i thought i was going mad,i'm not the only one then,your lucky,at least you got it to boot to F1,my two boards would'nt even post.

just saw the F3D was available to install

.. you saved me a whole lotta pain flashing this .. Thanks ... waiting for full F3 then eh.
    Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD7
    RAM: Dominator GT DDR3 1600 (CL6)
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
    GFX: TRI-FIRE ASUS Radeon HD 5870
    PSU: Corsair HX 1000
    HDD: INTEL SSDSA2M080G2GN
    HDD2: WD RAPTOR (Data)
    Case: 800D Obsidian
    Cooling: --- Hose pipe from the back yard

Xtreme Member
    Just been on the Gigabyte UD7 forum i use,two more people on there have killed there boards after flashing to F3D,it does seem to be a serious issue with the bios i think.

I am Xtreme
    Apparently it's a bios solely for PCB 2.0 rev... but my board is a 2.0 rev and still it doesn't work...
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeghoofd View Post
    Apparently it's a bios solely for PCB 2.0 rev... but my board is a 2.0 rev and still it doesn't work...
    I think all retales are Rev 2.0,same as mine.I thought all bios's were sent out to testers before release,something has gone wrong along the line.

Xtreme 3D Team
    Yep, all retail UD7's are Rev 2.0.

I REALLY, REALLY dislike Gigabyte's revision process...IMO design the board right the first time or make a new model. My 890GPA-UD3H is a Rev 1.0 board. (There were a few retail 1.0's I believe and these were also sent out to reviewers)
    Smile

Hi,
    just to check the pin 7 is the you are referring to is the Hold# pin rite?

Bios chip spec sheet reference :http://www.mxic.com.tw/QuickPlace/hq...Mb,%20v1.1.pdf

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by redpixy View Post
    Hi,
    just to check the pin 7 is the you are referring to is the Hold# pin rite?

Bios chip spec sheet reference :http://www.mxic.com.tw/QuickPlace/hq...Mb,%20v1.1.pdf
    confirmed.
    heatware chew*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast