Thread: alternatives to rotary adapters?

alternatives to rotary adapters?

Hey all.

I planning on doing away with my barbs and clamps as their ugly (IMO) and want to replace them with some 1/2" 3/4" compression fittings.

Problem is I have a Heatkiller 3.0LC which will not accommodate two compression fittings side by side (not enough space between the inlet and outlet holes)

So I thought at first to go with some 45 degree rotary adapters which would solve the problem, however I've read a fair few horror stories about leaking rotary fittings, It seems you have to be extreme careful with them and as I move my PC around at the weekends it just won't be practical.

So are there any alternatives?

Here's an image of my current setup

Thanks for reading, I would really appreciate any help

Xtreme Member
    Thats a pretty minimal setup

But seriously, not had any problem with rotaries apart from one 45° BP

I wouldn't worry about moving your computer around. Once you have aligned all the fittings (angled or not) and fitted the tubing they don't move that much. The rotatory function is just to get them into alignment really.
    | Completed: Project "Simples" | Custom TJ07 | P67A-UD3 | 2600K | GTX460 | MCR320+MCR220 | DDC 18W+XSPC Res |
    | In progress: Project "Weebeastie" | A70B | P6T7 WS | i7-970 | 4xGTX470 | PA120.3+RX240+TFC120 | XSPC Dual-Pump-BayRes |
    | In progress: Project "Gemini" | PC-P80B | EVGA SR-2 | 2xX5650 | 7100GS | PA140.3 | EK DCP-4.0 |

Xtreme Member
    hi. i am using bitspower 45 rotaries. bought them in april/may and they don't leak.a few things:

1. do not apply lateral force on them.
    2. the HK block specifically needs 45 rotary + compression. you cannot use the all in one type rotary.

i found out too late so i have mixed a barb + 45 rotary on my rig, it's not pretty but it works. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&postcount=144

wes
    Core i7 920 @4.31ghz (HK3.0+MCR320Drive) [DT Air/CPU @ 13c idle, 45c IBT]
    MSI GTX 295 Single PCB with EK 295 + MCR320 Drive + 1450rpmGT [DT Air/CPU @ 10c idle]
    Asus R3E . Corsair TX850 . OCZ 12Gb 1333mhz RAM

I'm still not feeling comfortable about using rotarys to be honest, are you guys sure that something like this won't work?
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/TFC-1...BSPP-High-Flow

Using two of those on a HK3.0LC? maybe take the thing that compresses the tubing off before installing them on the block?

Rotaries are completely safe, i dont know what the big deal is about not using them..

Have you seen them in person and attatched them to a block/compression fitting, they are fairly solid, and dont move once adjusted correctly.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iNoXiouZ View Post
    I'm still not feeling comfortable about using rotarys to be honest, are you guys sure that something like this won't work?

Using two of those on a HK3.0LC? maybe take the thing that compresses the tubing off before installing them on the block?
    Dude. that's a rotary.

Wes
    MSI GTX 295 Single PCB with EK 295 + MCR320 Drive + 1450rpmGT [DT Air/CPU @ 10c idle]

Xtreme Addict

I don't see why that wouldn't work for you. Personally I went with the enzo 45ᵒ rotary for the apogee xt...
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtreme Addict
    Though the earlier versions of BP's rotary fittings had some defects, that's all fixed now, and I haven't heard of a leaky BP rotary in a while. In fact the fitting you selected, the Feser rotary, is more prone to leaking than the BP version .
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

Xtreme Mentor
    The difference is that a 45 degree and compression create a second point of failure versus the one he linked too. With that being said, I use a crap load of BP 45's and have not had a single one give me any issues and I swap around my system almost on a weekly basis. I would not hesitate using a 45 adapter along with a compression fitting.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Ok just wanted to see if there was a different way... I'll just get the rotarys then, unfortunately I can't afford the BP's as there like £10 each, thanks for your replys guys.

Much appreciated.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Ok just wanted to see if there was a different way... I'll just get the rotarys then, unfortunately I can't afford the BP's as there like £10 each, thanks for your replys guys.

Much appreciated.
    Save up then, because the Feser rotary you linked to is prone to leaknig more often than the BP ones.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Utnorris View Post
    The difference is that a 45 degree and compression create a second point of failure versus the one he linked too. With that being said, I use a crap load of BP 45's and have not had a single one give me any issues and I swap around my system almost on a weekly basis. I would not hesitate using a 45 adapter along with a compression fitting.
    Ah. Thanks for clarifying.

Wes

Quote Originally Posted by Polizei View Post
    Save up then, because the Feser rotary you linked to is prone to leaknig more often than the BP ones.
    Dunno If I can justify £10 a fitting just so my loop looks better, would be about £100 in fittings

Xtreme Addict
    Dunno If I can justify £10 a fitting just so my loop looks better, would be about £100 in fittings
    Did you not read what he said? It doesn't necessarily look better, but at least it might save you a couple of hundred $ by not leaking all over your expensive hardware.
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    Mondays:

Xtreme Cruncher
    Or don't spend that much just to make it look better. If it works without the rotary 45 fittings, don't use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    Did you not read what he said? It doesn't necessarily look better, but at least it might save you a couple of hundred $ by not leaking all over your expensive hardware.
    hey man chill, I did read what he said and your just jumping to an assumption that if I can't justify £100 worth of BP fittings that I would just risk it with the cheaper ones.

I simply wouldn't do that, I trust what people have to say here and if they say the Feser's aren't good enough then I won't buy them.

Anyone know of any 45 degree compression fittings (non-rotary)?

Xtreme Addict
    hey man chill, I did read what he said and your just jumping to an assumption that if I can't justify £100 worth of BP fittings that I would just risk it with the cheaper ones.

I simply wouldn't do that, I trust what people have to say here and if they say the Feser's aren't good enough then I won't buy them.

Anyone know of any 45 degree compression fittings (non-rotary)?
    Sorry, kind of misstated my response, making it look rather angry .

Also, I'm going to go with Polizei's suggestion and advise you to go with no rotaries at all then. There are several strategies to bend tubing very tight without it kinking, but my favorite is heating up the tubing in boiling water with something inside to keep the tubing from collapsing (smaller OD tubing, rope, or something else) . While boiling it, keep it in the shape you want it to get. After about 10-20 minutes, cool it down. Just poor the hot water out, but keep the tubing in the desired shape. After that, remove whatever you put inside the tubing, and your tubing should be ready for use .
    Mondays:

As Alexandr0s said, the earlier 45º rotaries had some issues but it's all good now. Just make sure your tube isn't putting excessive tension on it and you'll be fine.

Technician
    I have 12 TFC rotaries bought from scan in 04/08 and 10 from specialtech bought 02/09. None have leaked and ive really abused some with tube tension. These have more play than the others in the base but still do not leak. I have complete confidence in the TFC rotaries and at £3.70 each its madness to buy the bitspowers for 3x the cost.

Not a TFC fanboy - the only TFC stuff I own is fittings

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    Sorry, kind of misstated my response, making it look rather angry .

Also, I'm going to go with Polizei's suggestion and advise you to go with no rotaries at all then. There are several strategies to bend tubing very tight without it kinking, but my favorite is heating up the tubing in boiling water with something inside to keep the tubing from collapsing (smaller OD tubing, rope, or something else) . While boiling it, keep it in the shape you want it to get. After about 10-20 minutes, cool it down. Just poor the hot water out, but keep the tubing in the desired shape. After that, remove whatever you put inside the tubing, and your tubing should be ready for use .
    Its cool man

BTW I'm trying to kind a way of fitting compressions on my HK preferably without rotary's, Not really looking to flex/bend my tubing, although what you said could come in handy if I was to use rotary's and needed at way to lessen the strain on the rotary fitting.

I found these: http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/Bi...lack_1044.html

What do you guys think? any good?

Xtreme Addict
    Its cool man

BTW I'm trying to kind a way of fitting compressions on my HK preferably without rotary's, Not really looking to flex/bend my tubing, although what you said could come in handy if I was to use rotary's and needed at way to lessen the strain on the rotary fitting.

I found these: http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/Bi...lack_1044.html

What do you guys think? any good?
    That should work, though you won't have full freedom of motion with that fitting. However since there is some tolerance due to the o-ring, you should be able to get it in the appropriate position.
    Mondays:

I am Xtreme
    Those may not point in the direction you need them to when tightened.

Personally, I say use comps that fit and avoid the whole mess in the first place, it's not like 3/8" I.D. tubing is going to affect temps to the point you or your OC would notice.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

yeah good point waterlogged, I don't get payed until the end of the month so I've got plenty of time to think about it. Thanks for everyone's help

Xtreme Guru
    i have over 30 compressions, about 12 45 rotarys and a few 90's, havent had one problem with these bitspower fittings... Im sure you will be fine mate..

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?