Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: CPU-360 Midplate Testing

Xtreme Guru
    Vapor: can thicker brass plate of yours impact bending of waterblock base unlike thinner ones from Bei or stock one?

Admin
    .002in difference in thickness (between stock and brass) wouldn't do that, IMO. .005in difference between Bei's and the brass plates, maybe. But definitely not 4-5C, that's just a massive difference that I can't explain. Contact has been great with every midplate, as well, so the bow is doing its job regardless of the slight thickness differences.

Admin
    Final HS2 numbers are in, graph is updated a few posts up.

Stock: 76.27C, 1.61GPM
    HS1: 75.25C, 1.51GPM
    HS2: 75.11C, 1.32GPM

Going to make HS3 right now (and kill HS2)....1mm wide channel, 30-31mm tall.

Xtreme Guru
    Vapor: maybe try experimenting with different width of that channel near ends or near middle?

Admin
    Goofed on turning HS2 into HS3....oh well. Testbed needs to get to testing other stuff now anyway, so not the end of the world

Final results:

All the Bei Fei plate results are obviously not conclusive...never figured out the source of the 4-5C fall off

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    All the Bei Fei plate results are obviously not conclusive...never figured out the source of the 4-5C fall off
    And especially not with most of them being a loss of GPM, one up to 0.75GPM !
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

Admin
    That was just the Dots plate, which was expectedly restrictive. I'm talking about the Jagged/Double (not shown since I didn't let them complete a full run) that were 4-5C behind Stock but should have performed comparably. Those two plates basically invalidated all the testing on the other Bei Fei plates.

Xtreme Addict
    Wait, so you tested 2 plates that were basically the same as the stock plate, yet they showed 4-5C worse temps?
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    Mondays:

Admin
    Essentially, yeah. Double and Jagged have roughly the same impingement as the stock plate (Double has a little more, Jagged has a little less), use the full array of microchannels, but perform way out of bounds. Even a free-flow plate should perform within a degree or two of stock, so something is definitely awry that I can't attribute.

Some sort of flow bypass is the most fitting, but I don't see where that would happen

Xtreme Guru
    I'm thinking about bypass at fault aswell, afterall, most of heat exchange of modern waterblocks with micro-pins/micro-channels comes from turbulence, so if by less thick plates some 5% of flow bypasses those channels (by going least resistance way), here one gets worse temps, as water not going through those channels takes less heat from block. Can you try some mod to make those plates a tiny bit thicker? As in some silicone mode variation or something .. whatever that's easiest to do with current plates at hand? Have you tried to measure insides of block where the plate is placed?

Admin
    Based on flowrate vs. temp testing I've done with the CPU-360, bypass figures would need to be closer to 80%, not 5%, to achieve a 4-5C drop. Flowrate figures weren't indicative of this (flowrate was lower than stock....if bypass were that high, flowrate would be much higher if microchannel restriction stayed constant).

I'll repeat, testing on this topic is done.

In talks with Koolance about bringing a plate with a narrowed jet to market

Chasing After Diety
    Bump...

TIM have you seen these yet???
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    Bump...

TIM have you seen these yet???
    Yes. Sending some new stuff to Vapor to try out...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Koolance View Post
    Yes. Sending some new stuff to Vapor to try out...
    You hear that Vapor? More testing and writing to do .
    Mondays:

Xtreme Guru
    Poor chap

Admin
    The best kind of testing to do is the testing you want to do....and I definitely want to do this

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    The best kind of testing to do is the testing you want to do....and I definitely want to do this
    Given your experience, that's a great compliment. Thank you.

Tim

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234