Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: CPU-360 Midplate Testing

Admin

Cool CPU-360 Midplate Testing

So what one do you guys think will perform the best?

Bei Fei made the plates a few months back....finally getting to testing now, I have all but the top one.

Might also be interesting to see if some fine mesh or a combination of plates works well together

OVERCLOCKAHOLICS
    HKesque has my money. No scientific thought behind it, just a guess.

I'm looking at picking up a Koolance CPU-360 so this will surely be an interesting test.

Chasing After Diety
    Diamond... followed by Jagged.

However if were talking more then standard pumping power, i think dots would be supreme.
    Would cause the most turbulance and theoretically increase efficiency, unless the base was limited.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Top one..just because its the one you're missing.....

Second place will be the orginal single slot, third place the upper right two slot variety.

Better yet try taking the winner and radiusing the leading edge for a nice smooth nozzle entry...that alone should be worthwhile.

Looks like a good variety there..keep us posted.

Admin
    Ya, I don't really know what to think with these....I think M-pede stacked with Double might be interesting. Diamond + fine mesh (from a faucet aerator) might be interesting too.

FWIW, Stock isn't shown in the pic, but it's just a wider single.

Radiusing is a good idea to reduce restriction too, hmmmm.

Maybe the winner will be modeled by Koolance and they'll come out with a CPU-361 or something

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    Ya, I don't really know what to think with these....I think M-pede stacked with Double might be interesting. Diamond + fine mesh (from a faucet aerator) might be interesting too.

FWIW, Stock isn't shown in the pic, but it's just a wider single.

Radiusing is a good idea to reduce restriction too, hmmmm.

Maybe the winner will be modeled by Koolance and they'll come out with a CPU-361 or something
    I think the pedes won't do well. I tested a privately made block with a fairly large open desing that didnt do well. Seems like when the nozzle plate is too open with an intricate open design, there is only movement at the perimeter of the opening pattern. Water at the center of those nozzle types is essentially sitting still.

Actually I think the single slot would do well if radiused. Its pretty surprising how much a little radius can do at inlet losses like that. In pipe design you can see upwards of a 30% or more improvement..so if the nozzle plate itself is causing a majority of the pressure drop, you should see a worthwhile gain trying the dremel radius thing..

Chasing After Diety
    mmm vapor take a dremel and step your original base.

LOL.. i know you have a rev.1 base, so if you step the stock base you wont cry.

Nice, very much looking forward to the results.

Admin
    So, ehhh, thoughts on how to test these?

6 mounts X 9 plates = 54 mounts

How about:

If mount 1 is within 1C of stock average, it gets a 2nd mount.
    If the best of the first two mounts is within .5C of stock, it gets a third mount.
    If the best of the first three mounts is better than the stock average, it gets a fourth mount.
    If the best of the first four mounts is at least .1C ahead of stock average, it gets a full 6 mounts.

That should filter the bad ones out and cut down my testing without any false negatives, hopefully.

(testing M-pede now and it's pretty clear it's not going to be within 1C of stock)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think they are all beautiful! But them I am partially biased........

I could have sworn that I send the "missing one"

I still have more I will send you one when I get back from MA.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MV-G
    3770K 5.00
    7970 1200/1700
    GSkill 2400
    Seasonic Platinum 1000
    Silverstone TJ08-E
    - Koolance AC-370 - Swiftech MCP-35X - Phobya Xtreme 200mm Rad - Koolance VID-AR797 -
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USA National Debt

Xtreme Mentor
    I have been happy with the stock plate, but I would be interested to see how much extra performance you can grab just by swapping the mid-plates out. A .5c won't be worth it, but 3-4c might.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Utnorris View Post
    A .5c won't be worth it, but 3-4c might.
    holy cow 3-4c would be a land slide win you are aware of that right?

the top 5 only space themselves out by 1-2C at the most.

Admin
    I think .5c over stock is realistic, based on my Supreme HF tests....

(stock CPU-360 is probably better than stock/P3 of the Supreme HF)

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    holy cow 3-4c would be a land slide win you are aware of that right?

the top 5 only space themselves out by 1-2C at the most.
    Exactly my point. It seems like an awful lot of trouble to get .5c.

I think .5c over stock is realistic, based on my Supreme HF tests....

(stock CPU-360 is probably better than stock/P3 of the Supreme HF)
    Which is what I would expect. This is why we need a different approach to water block designs. We are fighting to get .5c more from the current designs and quite honestly, the design has not changed it quite some time. A .5c is not going to help you push your system any harder and if anything makes you wonder if we have hit the limits of water cooling. If so, then why buy any new blocks over the current blocks?

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Chasing After Diety
    We are fighting to get .5c more from the current designs and quite honestly, the design has not changed it quite some time.
    did you not hear me rant to the general public that we are stagnet now in water?

Bring on the TECS!
    WTF happened to HWLab's Evap radiators??????? They kinda went POOF out of existence.

Xtreme Addict
    This guy and his TECs.

I say go ahead and mount them all as you usually would, Vapor. Take your time and savor this one.
    \Project\ Triple Surround Fury
    Case:
    Mountain Mods Ascension (modded)
    CPU: i7 920 @ 4GHz + EK Supreme HF (plate #1)
    GPU: GTX 670 3-Way SLI + XSPC Razor GTX670 water blocks
    Mobo: ASUS Rampage III Extreme + EK FB R3E water block
    RAM: 3x 2GB Mushkin Enhanced Ridgeback DDR3 @ 6-8-6-24 1T
    SSD: Crucial M4 256GB, 0309 firmware
    PSU: 2x Corsair HX1000s on separate circuits
    LCD: 3x ASUS VW266H 26" Nvidia Surround @ 6030 x 1200
    Games: AoE II: HD, BF4, MKKE, MW2 via FourDeltaOne (Domination all day!)

Admin
    Exactly my point. It seems like an awful lot of trouble to get .5c.

Which is what I would expect. This is why we need a different approach to water block designs. We are fighting to get .5c more from the current designs and quite honestly, the design has not changed it quite some time. A .5c is not going to help you push your system any harder and if anything makes you wonder if we have hit the limits of water cooling. If so, then why buy any new blocks over the current blocks?
    Basically free performance for Koolance though

Plus, half a degree would put them past the Supreme HF and kryos XT in my tests, and should be attainable.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanSmooth View Post
    This guy and his TECs.

I say go ahead and mount them all as you usually would, Vapor. Take your time and savor this one.
    Don't have 9+ days to test these, unfortunately.

I think my filtering should work pretty well.

Xtreme Guru
    I'm somehow betting on single line, as probably most restrictive and possibly giving best temps (thinking of differences between HF plates ..)

did you not hear me rant to the general public that we are stagnet now in water?

Bring on the TECS!
    WTF happened to HWLab's Evap radiators??????? They kinda went POOF out of existence.
    OT but i've seen you type this a couple of times now and cannot hold back any longer .

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/stagnant

Xtreme Mentor

Bring on the TECS!
    Keep your TEC's, they're too inefficient. As far as your rant about water being stagnant (yes I can spell check), how far back does yours go? Mine goes back at least a year. While I appreciate free performance, no disrespect intended Vapor, but getting a .5c in temp performance is like getting 50Mhz more from your chip over stock. If HWBOT gave points for temps then I could see the purpose of the fine tuning for a degree or two, but since that is well within the margin of error and the results don't get you anymore performance out of your chip, I think it's like pissing in the wind. The blocks should have been tweaked at the factory, not here, not for a degree. I would like to see someone come out with a block that isn't just like the last block released. How about some more dual inputs, single output blocks? Or a block made out of titanium with pins the size of needles so you could have a couple thousand in a square inch area? I mean it would be nice to see someone take a chance on something different, make a prototype and toss it to the wolves to see what they think instead of just copying what has already been done so many times before that it's hard to see the difference besides cosmetics. No one has changed the way we mount the blocks, no one has come out with a true FC block that covers the CPU, NB/SB and mosfets, no one has tried anything new in at least three or four years. It's to the point that when someone asks "What's the best block to get?" the only reply is "What looks best in your build?".

Ok, I will now step off the soapbox and end my rant.

Desk Build

W/C System

Xtreme X.I.P.

How about:

If mount 1 is within 1C of stock average, it gets a 2nd mount.
    If the best of the first two mounts is within .5C of stock, it gets a third mount.
    If the best of the first three mounts is better than the stock average, it gets a fourth mount.
    If the best of the first four mounts is at least .1C ahead of stock average, it gets a full 6 mounts.

That should filter the bad ones out and cut down my testing without any false negatives, hopefully.

(testing M-pede now and it's pretty clear it's not going to be within 1C of stock)
    That should be plenty accurate considering you previous best to worst mount was only .8c apart.

Nozzle testing is always tedious..you might even just test at one pumping power too..

Xtreme Addict

The Koolance quick disconnects come to mind... if you could somehow keep the block mounted while changing the plate, that would be excellent. Unfortunately I can't help that process!
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtreme Guru
    ..No one has changed the way we mount the blocks, no one has come out with a true FC block that covers the CPU, NB/SB and mosfets ..
    I recall reading thread @XS about such. Others probably can help with finding url to it ..
    I myself see problem with it just like with anything integrated - no way to upgrade/change single component of it. And as there is full board cover in it aswell = it's single motherboard specific. No-no for me.
    I'm all for innovations/new ideas .. except when they do more harm then good/make little sense in price/effectiveness/upgradeability/etc. Making something different but without practicality behind is just an DIY experiment 'because i can' with no impact/improvement on industry.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    I recall reading thread @XS about such. Others probably can help with finding url to it ..
    I myself see problem with it just like with anything integrated - no way to upgrade/change single component of it. And as there is full board cover in it aswell = it's single motherboard specific. No-no for me.
    I'm all for innovations/new ideas .. except when they do more harm then good/make little sense in price/effectiveness/upgradeability/etc. Making something different but without practicality behind is just an DIY experiment 'because i can' with no impact/improvement on industry.
    I was just using it as an example, nothing more. My point is that all we see are the same old designs being rehashed. It's like an Iphone, sure they are cool, but there really has been any "game changing" design to the Iphone since the second model, mostly because it is a pretty damn good phone and it just works. Same thing with CPU blocks, nothing new with the current designs. Until someone decides to do something radical CPU blocks for the most part will perform within a few degrees of each other.

Desk Build

W/C System

Never go full retard
    Until someone decides to do something radical CPU blocks for the most part will perform within a few degrees of each other.
    Funny thing is, I've been reading that statement since P4 Northwood's and yet there are new CPU blocks coming out all the time. Look at the comparison between the Apogee GT and the Supreme HF, we have over 5C separation in performance... is that what we consider a few degrees? To me, 5C is quite a margin when you consider the medium we're using to cool our gear.

However, I still choose the single slot midplate.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast