Thread: Lamptron FC5 issue?

Lamptron FC5 issue?

On two seperate occassions now while gaming all my fans stopped spinning. I am using a Lamptron FC5 with 3 1850 GT's connected to each channel. The display is still lit and reading 0 rpms. Tried adjusting the knobs and nothing changed. All fans dead. Powered off the PC for a couple minutes and restarted. Everything worked correctly upon restart.

I am at a bit of a loss and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what might be causing this. When the fans stop it doesn't take long to feel the heat coming out of the sytem. I am worried if it does it when I'm not there it may burn up something as the water heats up very quickly.

If it matters, I am running two loops. 1st loop is 2 D5's with EK dual top with tube res, 2 Fester 360 rads, 2x480's with EK blocks, EK classified MB block. 2nd loop is 2 DDC's with EK dual top with tube res, 1 Thermochill 360, EK Supreme HF. Corsair HX1000 powering everything. No overclocking yet, still trying to burn everything in.

Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by Spikelo3; 07-06-2010 at 08:42 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looks like a power supply failure on the lamptron. If the display is still lit up i guess it means either the control circuit has got a bad contact (maybe a bad solder), or that the VRM's are fried... ? the GT's current draw is very low so i doubt it would happen like that. Maybe you have a short somewhere in your fan cables ? How did you do them ?

24/7 running quiet and nice

Thanks gmat. I checked the molex power connector but it was seated correctly, disconnecting and reconnecting didn't work. The fans were soldered together and each wire is individually heat shrink wrapped then sleeved. It has only happened twice in about 2 weeks of run time thus far. I was leaning toward the something amiss with the lamptron, but I don't have another to try out atm.
    Last edited by Spikelo3; 07-06-2010 at 09:29 AM.

If they're all soldered together and terminating at a 3pin, just grab one of the 3pin to molex adapters that came with your GTs and plug them straight into your PSU to make sure they come on.

I can tell you that I have been using a lamptron non display controller for over a year and it's been good. I just finished a build for a buddy and got what I thought was the same controller, but it appears to be a new revision and it couldn't power on the three GTs if it was set to 5V. Like you, I wired 3 1850s together and only the first two would start. If I switched to 12V, they would start and then continue to run if I switched to 5V.

I tested my wiring on both my lamptron and sunbeam controllers and all the fans turned on at 5V and 7V respectively, but not on his newer revision. His version had a second PCB with voltage regulators and a chip whereas mine was simply the switches with the PCB traced to fan headers. I ended up removing all the PCBs from his controller and manually wired up all the fan headers, switches and molex power so just the switches were used and it works like a champ now. Obviously, you can't do this cause you need the display but just giving you the heads up that I also had similar issues with a lamptron controller.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Did you only retain the 1st fan rpm wire ? You have to connect all 3 +12V together, all 3 0V together, but keep only 1 rpm signal wire (and NOT solder the 2 other fan rpm signal wires to it).

24/7 running quiet and nice

@gmat, yes only 1st fan rpm wire used. i cut it off the other 2 fans in each chain. i really don't think its the fans as i really took my time to do a good job on them.

whats weird is it works fine the majority of the time. it worked fine all last night no issues. is it possible the controller itself could be overheating after a long session which causes the fans to shut off? i dunno, i'm stumped.

i think i will just pick up another one when Gary gets them in stock and see if it continues or not. i don't have another controller to try out unless i steal my wifes