Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Rock Solid Dependable Hard drive

Xtreme Addict

Question Looking for Rock Solid Dependable Hard drive

Anywho, I need an internal drive for gaming. Needs to be rock solid dependable because it will get a lot of use. Any suggestions? I need about 400 to 500gigs or so. No more than that.

I always get nervous when buying a hard drive... cause I had a storage drive fail on me once. Took me years to get my stuff back that I had on it... some of it I never did.

Is there some kind of review site that posts up stress test, durability, and dependability results for hard drives?
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Xtreme Addict
    /ALL/ drives fail. If you want something that has high availability go for a raid setup. For 24x7 pounding you are looking at enterprise (i.e. mainly drives that have a SAS connector; sata drives are at best tier-2 worst tier-3) Basically consumer drives are geared toward a 8 hour duty cycle and low queue depth.

For 3rd party review, there pretty much is no site that has a public listing of reliability for drives that has any value. People seem to think that studies of 5, 10, 1,000 or even 10,000 drives are 'good' when in reality you need 100,000 or even a million drives over several years to come up with a verdict and by then that particular model is no longer being sold so it's more of a historic review than a practical one.

If you need ~500GB and don't care as much about performance get 2 500GB drives and do a RAID-1 (or three of them; one being a hot spare); If you want performance get say 8 73GB drives (2.5" 15K savvios; or even SSD's) make a raid-6 out of them which would also give you ~500GB and the higher spindle count/drive count will let handle larger queue depths. Likewise you can add another drive to that as a hot spare just like above. (Generally you look for about 10% of your drive capacity to be hot spares for high availability; but that also depends on how fast you can get replacement drives).

But from what you are implying above is that you do not have backups either which with that in mind I would probably just get two drives in a raid-1 and buy another drive and use as a backup (acronis; norton; whatever) of your data. No raid level is a replacement for backups.

|.Server/Storage System.............|.Gaming/Work System..............................|.Sundry...... ............|
    |.Supermico X8DTH-6f................|.Asus Z9PE-D8 WS.................................|.HP LP3065 30"LCD Monitor.|
    |.(2) Xeon X5690....................|.2xE5-2643 v2....................................|.Mino lta magicolor 7450..|
    |.(192GB) Samsung PC10600 ECC.......|.2xEVGA nVidia GTX670 4GB........................|.Nikon coolscan 9000......|
    |.800W Redundant PSU................|.(8x8GB) Kingston DDR3-1600 ECC..................|.Quantum LTO-4HH..........|
    |.NEC Slimline DVD RW DL............|.Corsair AX1200..................................|........ .................|
    |.(..6) LSI 9200-8e HBAs............|.Lite-On iHBS112.................................|.Dell D820 Laptop.........|
    |.(..8) ST9300653SS (300GB) (RAID0).|.PA120.3, Apogee, MCW N&S bridge.................|...2.33Ghz; 8GB Ram;......|
    |.(112) ST2000DL003 (2TB) (RAIDZ2)..|.(1) Areca ARC1880ix-8 512MiB Cache..............|...DVDRW; 128GB SSD.......|
    |.(..2) ST9146803SS (146GB) (RAID-1)|.(8) Intel SSD 520 240GB (RAID6).................|...Ubuntu 12.04 64bit.....|
    |.Ubuntu 12.04 64bit Server.........|.Windows 7 x64 Pro...............................|............... ..........|

Xtreme Member
    Consumer-level RAID would NOT be the best choice for rock solid disk space.

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD6000HLHX 600GB 10000 RPM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136555

And back it up to this:
    Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136319

Using this software:
    Acronis True Image Home 2010
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-012-_-Product
    The Money Trap = Intel i7 3930K | Corsair H100 push/pull fans | ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | 16GB (4 x 4GB) G.Skill DDR3 2133 9-11-10 CR1 | 2 x EVGA 680 SC+ Signature SLI | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD - OS, 256GB Crucial M4 SSD - Games - backup WD HDDs | Klipsch ProMedia | Cooler Master HAF 932 | Antec TPQ-1200w | Dell U2711 2560 x 1440 27" | Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit | APC RS1500

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by OS-Wiz View Post
    Consumer-level RAID would NOT be the best choice for rock solid disk space.

And back it up to this:

Using this software:
    Or if he doesn't need quite the speed of the raptor get 2-WD blacks.
    Newegg had the 750's on sale for $59.95 yesterday.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Member
    Internal? Of all the drives I've ever had, my Western Digital drives have been the strongest. In fact, I have a 35 gig drive from 2000 that is just now starting to fail. So that's where my suggestion lies: Western Digital.
    ==========================================
    XClio 1000, Gigabye GA-MA790XT-UD4P
    AMD Phenom II 955BE @3.2 GHz, Noctua NH-D14
    CORSAIR 950TX 950W, 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600
    Sapphire 4850x2 CFX
    Win7 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by stangracin3 View Post
    and the more i type the more BS comes out of my keyboard. LOL

Western Digital Caviar Black Comes in 500,640,750,1TB sizes. Fast and reliable. Don't take my word for it though check the review out in the link.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Surely the enterprise sata drives should be more reliable eg wd re3, re4

Uber Raid King
    if you want a single drive, the blacks are fast and reliable, as long as the shipper does a good job packing them. i did receive two DOA though from the egg about a year ago, but from what i understand they are much better with drives now. of the other 6 that i received, and the two replaced drives, i have never had any issues. none they are great spread out on four different rigs. not all work as OS drives, but they are great regardless, two in raid 0 are plenty quick.
    for ultra reliability, however, i would recommend using RAID 1. you will need redundancy. then still have a backup plan on a separate disk, i use acronis, but W7 backup utility is really good as well. if you have a home server that is probably the best option for backing up.
    i know the tremendous importance of data integrity. i just returned from my honeymoon in galveston. had a wonderful time. on the sixth day of the vacation my ocz vertex in my lappy bricked, destroying ALL photos that i had put on there of the previous six days, and i had tons of pics, i love to take pics! went to air museums and NASA and moody gardens so ton of pics. i have never had a vertex fail on me, so it was surprising.
    lucky for me im an uber nerd, cause i had pics on an external harddrive i brought (just in case) AND a 16gb flash drive. triple redundancy FTW!!! could have been catastrophic though.
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

Quote Originally Posted by adsyf View Post
    Surely the enterprise sata drives should be more reliable eg wd re3, re4
    This.

If you don't want to pony up the cash for an enterprise drive, my WD velociraptor and blacks haven't let me down yet.

I used to use WD back in the day exclusively, but after being burned by the Hitachi deathstar and the Seagate 7200.10 disaster, I've been back with WD for a few years and I'm not looking back.

I do plan on getting an Intel G3 SSD when they drop though, but for mechanical drives, I personally like WD.

Xtreme Addict
    "deathstar" ROFL I've heard about those.

I haven messed with raid in years. I don't even remember how to do it.... or where I got the software for it. Will windows XP even work with a 500gig drive? I know I've gotten it to work with 300's and 200's, but never tried a 500.

Also, I'll need the drive to be able to work with both XP and Win7, so I'll need to know what type of format to use. I'm installing Win7 as a secondary OS later this year or early next year, for DX10 and 11. Or I might wait for the next OS so I can use 12.
    Last edited by Judaeus Apella; 07-06-2010 at 01:13 PM.
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Xtreme Member
    "Rock solid" means high reliability--which means low bit error rate (BER) and high mean time between failure (MTBF).

By using SAS drives instead of SATA, you can get a BER improvement from 1 in 10^15 to 10^16, and an MTBF improvement from 1.2M hours to 1.6M hours.

Consumer-oriented drives are generally not rated for 24x7 use, have BER of only 10^14 and MTBF of 0.75M hours.

WD's Raptor (SATA) has 1.4M hr MTBF, but still only 10^15 BER. Seagate's Constellation and Barracuda ES.2 drives are SAS, but still only have SATA reliability specs.

You can further improve reliability by using a mirror or parity RAID. Most consumer-rated drives are not suited for use in RAID; although some people apparently get lucky, there are many reports of drive-drop outs.

For a concrete recommendation, most 450GB to 600GB SAS drives seem to have roughly the same cost per GB. I happen to like the Cheetah 15K.7 -- a pair of them in RAID-1 should be truly "rock solid."

Xtreme Addict
    Hmmm... those ARE nice, but I can't afford something like that. lol Wish I could, but I can't.

Anyone ever have any problems putting WD Blacks in RAID 1?? I need to know if I can do that with them, before I buy them. I've heard a lot of people have been having trouble putting some of the WD's in RAID.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Judaeus Apella View Post
    Hmmm... those ARE nice, but I can't afford something like that. lol Wish I could, but I can't.

Anyone ever have any problems putting WD Blacks in RAID 1?? I need to know if I can do that with them, before I buy them. I've heard a lot of people have been having trouble putting some of the WD's in RAID.
    Forget the hassle with consumer-grade RAID.

And back it up to this:

Using this software:
    The Money Trap = Intel i7 3930K | Corsair H100 push/pull fans | ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | 16GB (4 x 4GB) G.Skill DDR3 2133 9-11-10 CR1 | 2 x EVGA 680 SC+ Signature SLI | 256GB Samsung 830 SSD - OS, 256GB Crucial M4 SSD - Games - backup WD HDDs | Klipsch ProMedia | Cooler Master HAF 932 | Antec TPQ-1200w | Dell U2711 2560 x 1440 27" | Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit | APC RS1500

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Judaeus Apella View Post
    The Caviar Blacks work in RAID for some people. However, it seems to depend on the particular drives you get, as well as which controller you're using. Sometimes the failures happen right away, other times it's not for a while.

You might look at two WD RE3 in RAID-1; it's a RAID/24x7-qualified drive, and is available in a 500GB size, $79.99 at Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136294

Not as "rock solid" as the SAS drives, but pretty good for the price.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    I'd go for a raid-1 setup + frequent backups.

I've been using WD6400AA-KS/LS on an Adaptec 5805 controller for quite some time (several years) without any issues. (4R5, serving VMWare guests running 24/7)

I've also got the WD1001FALS (black) running for about a year or so on a PERC 6/i (4R5) and it's been working almost without issues.
    (the array had to be rebuilt once due to a drive dropping out, no data loss so I'm quite happy with it)

As for other drives, I've tried using the Seagate LP drives but I had to give up on them in raid and so they are running as single drives. (backup)

At the moment I'm doing initial testing on the Samsung F3 1TB drives, they are looking great so far on the LSI 9260 controller so they might be an option for raid as well.

As long as you do frequent backups you should be pretty safe using the
    WD Black series HDDs.
    -
    Hardware:

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by OS-Wiz View Post
    Forget the hassle with consumer-grade RAID.

And back it up to this:

Using this software:
    So... you quote me saying that I can't afford an expensive drive... and suggest another expensive drive? Are you high?

Quote Originally Posted by AceNZ View Post
    The Caviar Blacks work in RAID for some people. However, it seems to depend on the particular drives you get, as well as which controller you're using. Sometimes the failures happen right away, other times it's not for a while.

You might look at two WD RE3 in RAID-1; it's a RAID/24x7-qualified drive, and is available in a 500GB size, $79.99 at Newegg:

Not as "rock solid" as the SAS drives, but pretty good for the price.
    I have no idea what raid my system is using, but this is the link for my motherboard. >>>> http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=2887#ov<<<< All the specs are there but I don't see anything about what kind of raid controllers it uses. If I knew which ones it uses, I could email WD and ask them if the drive I want, works with those raid controllers. And if it doesn't, I could always buy a controller card (Which I really don't want to do to be honest. My system is cramped as it is.)

I've actually heard that the consumer line of Western Digital like the blacks is more dependable and better made than the more expensive ones like the RE3. I've seen several people mention it in customer reviews. One of them said that WD actually decided not to put much effort into making them work well with raid, to force people into buying their crappier more expensive line of drives... I hate it when companies pull that kind of @#$*.

I'd rather get the blacks since they have better reviews and cost less, and just make sure that the raid I use works with those drives.

Quote Originally Posted by Anvil View Post
    I'd go for a raid-1 setup + frequent backups.

I've been using WD6400AA-KS/LS on an Adaptec 5805 controller for quite some time (several years) without any issues. (4R5, serving VMWare guests running 24/7)

I've also got the WD1001FALS (black) running for about a year or so on a PERC 6/i (4R5) and it's been working almost without issues.
    (the array had to be rebuilt once due to a drive dropping out, no data loss so I'm quite happy with it)

As for other drives, I've tried using the Seagate LP drives but I had to give up on them in raid and so they are running as single drives. (backup)

At the moment I'm doing initial testing on the Samsung F3 1TB drives, they are looking great so far on the LSI 9260 controller so they might be an option for raid as well.

As long as you do frequent backups you should be pretty safe using the
    WD Black series HDDs.
    I've been hearing good things about the Samsungs too!! I was considering buying them but I just haven't heard enough about them.

Xtreme Addict
    Actually... you know what. This one looks like it could be better than the WD Black >>>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152181<<<

4% better customer reviews. Anyone know anything about this drive? Like review results, fail rates, any issues with RAID 1, etc?

Uber Raid King
    not to be rude....BUT....if your relying on review results then you are probably the one who is high. I never take the time to write a review about good products. who really does? and heres the thing, it may have a four percent better review rate, but what if they have sold a million less units of that particular device? Also, who in the world do you think are writing those reviews? mostly idiots who have no freaking idea what they are talking about. if you take the time to read more than fifteen of those reviews i bet you would be amazed at some of the BS that people put in there. and in order for them to be considered of 'high experience' all they have to do is click...ummm....high experience. people only usually overwhelmingly, i mean like ten to one, write bad reviews.
    read some reviews by reviewers, on hardware tech sites, and also ask in forums like you already have done. you have already gotten better advice in the eighteen posts in this thread than you will in a MILLION of them newegg "reviews"
    good luck in whatever you choose, either the black or this drive will suffice nicely.
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

Xtreme Enthusiast

WD Black has my vote

All the drives I have purchased in the last 2 years are WD Black series 2x640 32MB, 2 x 1TB 32MB and 1x1TB64MB. The ITB 64MB is now my mains OS drive. No failures in 4 years, touch wood.

But always back up your data, I have my Photos and Music collection on at least 2 external hard drives and backed up onto DVD once a year.
    24/7 PC CoolerMaster CM690 + 7 fans(its HOT as HELL in Shanghai) Intel Xeon E3 1230 3.3-3.7Ghz, 2x8GB DDR3 1600 G-Skill, HD GT630 2GB, Scandisk Pro 256SSD 2x2TB Green, 2x 3TB WD Green Data Drives. HTPC Q8400, EP45 UD3L 4x1GB Gskill6400, 1xWD Black 640GB,2x2TB WD Green, 2xWD 1TB Blue(RAID1), Sapphire 4530 512MB,

Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.

Mitch Ratcliffe, U.S. technology journalist and blogger

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by chinaguy View Post
    :

But always back up your data, I have my Photos and Music collection on at least 2 external hard drives and backed up onto DVD once a year.
    use Acronis true image 2010, Its such an amazing program.. I usually backup my full OS after a clean install making sure drivers etc are installed though, that way if i ever corrupt or crash my os from ram overclocking etc i just run the acronis recover disk and it recovers my clean install + the drivers, Should always schedule backups also, its your preference but i usually do it twice a week

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Quote Originally Posted by AceNZ View Post
    "Rock solid" means high reliability--which means low bit error rate (BER) and high mean time between failure (MTBF).

By using SAS drives instead of SATA, you can get a BER improvement from 1 in 10^15 to 10^16, and an MTBF improvement from 1.2M hours to 1.6M hours.

Consumer-oriented drives are generally not rated for 24x7 use, have BER of only 10^14 and MTBF of 0.75M hours.

WD's Raptor (SATA) has 1.4M hr MTBF, but still only 10^15 BER. Seagate's Constellation and Barracuda ES.2 drives are SAS, but still only have SATA reliability specs.

You can further improve reliability by using a mirror or parity RAID. Most consumer-rated drives are not suited for use in RAID; although some people apparently get lucky, there are many reports of drive-drop outs.

For a concrete recommendation, most 450GB to 600GB SAS drives seem to have roughly the same cost per GB. I happen to like the Cheetah 15K.7 -- a pair of them in RAID-1 should be truly "rock solid."
    I've also been looking at the cheetahs for a data disk, they look like great drives from what I've seen

Xtreme Addict
    Please stop recommending expensive hard drives.

I know they're all idiots. I take those reviews with a giant grain of salt. But fact is, it costs less, creates less heat, zanzabar seems to love them, they come in their own samsung bubble wrap shipping packaging no matter who I buy it from, and a lot of people seem to like them.

So... does anyone know anything more about this samsung drive?

Xtreme Guru
    Probably the most reliable 500gb drive on the market. I work with over 5,000 servers and we go through a lot of drives...

get two of those and use Windows 7's mirroring. Screw Acronis... I've never seen so many corrupted backup files as that program creates.

Don't buy the Samsung drive. It's not that reliable of a drive and it's slow as hell for a single platter.
    STARSCREAM
    3570k @ 4.6 GHz | Asus P8Z77-V LK | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | ASUS GeForce GTX550 Ti
    Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Corsair Force GT 120GB | SK hynix 128GB | Samsung 830 64GB
    WD Black 640GB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i
    Corsair AX750 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 | Antec P280 | Dell Ultrasharp U2410 | BenQ XL2420T
    ROCCAT Savu | Filco Majestouch-2 TKL w/Cherry MX Reds
    MEGATRON
    3770k @ 4.5GHz | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
    SK hynix 128GB | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60GB | WD Red 3TB (4) | Seagate 7200rpm 3TB (2)
    WD Green 2TB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i (2)
    Corsair AX650 | Corsair H80i

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've had good luck with WD and Samsung. I've had 4 (2 750gb and 2 1Tb)WD for 6 months running flawlessly and 2 Samsung 2tb ecogreens. I do like the WD more since they have a 5 year warranty.

BTW RAID ISN'T BACKUP, I've said it a million time and I'll say it a million more

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itznfb View Post
    get two of those and use Windows 7's mirroring. Screw Acronis... I've never seen so many corrupted backup files as that program creates.
    Lol i see i am not the only one that dislikes that program.
    In my experience (not as extensive as yours) windows backup (vista/2K8 and up never used the xp one) is more reliable then acronis and it comes whit the os.
    Last edited by xeon_1; 07-12-2010 at 09:40 PM.
    Intel i7 920 DO 12GB
    EVGA x58 SLI Classified radeon 4870x2
    Creative audigy 2zs
    3WD velocirpators 300Gb in raid 0 for os short stroked to 160Gb
    Areca 1222 with 8 samsung F4E4G 2Tb in raid 6
    Everything watercooled but the areca but that's planned

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast