Thread: Bottom Mount Radiators

OVERCLOCKAHOLICS

Bottom Mount Radiators

For those of you running double or triple bottom mounted radiators laying horizontally, which way does the air flow? Does the air come up from under the radiator and blow hot air on the GPU's or suck on the case and blow the hot air out of the case and on the desktop?

Thanks,

Xtreme Member
    well I set mine up on the bottom and cut the bottom of the case out, set the fans pulling air from outside the case to inside... the air coming out and into the case was 2c above room temp... so not hot by any far stretch of the imagination

it actually dropped the temp on my gtx260 quite a bit.

Xtreme Member
    I might have some. I will have to check the backups on the server. I will see what I can find

In my old setup I had a 360 rad up top and a 240 rad on the bottom both as intake for positive pressure because I hate dust.

If you have you bottom rad as intake sucking fresh air from the outside, you might want to get some taller replacement feet as well.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by S3RV0 View Post
    In my old setup I had a 360 rad up top and a 240 rad on the bottom both as intake for positive pressure because I hate dust.

If you have you bottom rad as intake sucking fresh air from the outside, you might want to get some taller replacement feet as well.
    I never understood how positive pressure prevented dust. Don't you bring more air into the case (air carrying dust) when you set more fans to intake than exhaust?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Polizei View Post
    I never understood how positive pressure prevented dust. Don't you bring more air into the case (air carrying dust) when you set more fans to intake than exhaust?
    I guess its easier to use dust filters on rad openings than sealing all the ventilation holes, gaps and etc.

Phil

i7 4GHz ♦ Asus R2G ♦ OCZ Intel XMP ♦ Asus 5870 ♦ Crucial M4 ♦ Swiftech ♦ Koolance

X4 3.5GHz ♦ Biostar 890GXE ♦ OCZ AMD BE ♦ Asus 8800 ♦ WD Veloci ♦ Swiftech ♦ XSPC

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Polizei View Post
    dust doesnt get inside corners and other openings on the case because its being forced in postive pressure though the fan holes.

Vs.

Negative pressure, where every opening inside your case, even small cracks, can get caught with dust.

How realistic is it?
    Meh... dust gets everywhere eventually, you cant fight it, it is one thing that will outlast even the mighty roach.
    But if you think you can honestly seal your case up well enough to implement positive vs negative... then i think you have a U2 rack.
    Last edited by NaeKuh; 07-06-2010 at 08:44 PM.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    dust doesnt get inside corners and other openings on the case because its being forced in postive pressure though the fan holes.

Vs.

Negative pressure, where every opening inside your case, even small cracks, can get caught with dust.

Polizei has point ... the more i think of it .. the more questions i get .. how much negative pressure are they? axial fans arent centrifugals, they cant generate enough pressure to create a semi-vacumn let alone vacumn to draw in the dust

it is possible to create a semi-vacumn state for packaging etc ... but to do so, requires a loud vacumn cleaner not just that, centrifugal motor

i've seen air leakage testing on homes where a large centrifugal motor is placed on the front door and the whole house (windows/doors) is shut tight. even with the differential air pressure, leakages doesnt have any dust around it

did we made a wrong assumption on the positive/negative pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by OC Maximus View Post
    Have any pictures?
    This is old but, now I have a push/pull setup with the fans mounted outside the case, fans/case/rad/fans, and blowing into the case

Last edited by GOZ; 07-06-2010 at 10:11 PM.
    Primary Rig

Manufacturer: GOZ
    Processor: Q9550 @ 4.0GHz cooled by H2O
    Mobo: GIGABYTE EP45-UD3P
    Memory: 8gig Kinston Hyper X 1066
    Hard Drive: 2x 74gig Raptors in Raid 0/WD 640
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280
    Monitor: BenQ FP202W
    Sound Card: Creative XTreme Gamer X-Fi
    Speakers/Headphones: Logitech Z-5500 5.1/PS3 HeadSet
    Keyboard: Razer Lycosa
    Mouse: Razer Death Adder
    Mouse Surface: Razor DESTRUCTOR
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Cooled by

MC-TDX
    D5
    HWlabs 240GTX
    and a crap load of yates

Xtreme Guru
    Polizei: in general:
    Dust protection: dust filters on fans blowing in + positive pressure. (or dust filters on in-fans + any air pressure even negative one and air-tight case, to not suck up dust together with un-dust-filtered air from outside through holes in case/manufacturing gaps between details/gaps between 5.25 devices and mirriad of other small gaps any case has)
    To get positive air pressure in simpliest way - to put more fans (if of similar performance) blowing in, then blowing out. You have to take into account drop of airflow when there are dust filters on fan, so it's not as simple as +1 fan blowing in. You can check resulting air pressure with something as simple as some smoke or flame of lighter if you put it at some fanless venthole of case .. to which direction it skews (or if smoke to where it gets blown off or sucked in)?
    I wouldn't try to airtighten case. It's hard to achieve + might result in some uglyfication . Positive air pressure way simplier to achieve.
    Last edited by Church; 07-06-2010 at 10:47 PM.