View Poll Results: Would you buy an Opteron SMP board for enthuthiasts?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, preferably from Supermicro

16 16.84%
  • Yes, preferably from Tyan

12 12.63%
  • Yes, preferably from Asus

38 40.00%
  • Yes, preferably from MSI

13 13.68%
  • Yes, preferably from Gigabyte

26 27.37%
  • Yes, prefer other manufacturers

13 13.68%
  • Yes, 4 sockets please!

24 25.26%
  • Nope.

12 12.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Would you buy an Opteron SMP board for enthuthiasts?

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by pokipoki View Post
    I guess the moment is just not here yet.

Looking at the poll results so far, Asus is the top choice for boards, with many interested in 4P as well. Did we have an Asus rep here at XS in the past?
    Yes, movieman is trying to get ASUS to release a modded BIOS to the public. So far he's not making too much progress. ASUS is working on it though, I believe.
    Last edited by BeepBeep2; 07-07-2010 at 01:28 PM.
    Smile

Xtreme Addict
    JF, do you know if Zambezi would be capable to work in 2p board if a mobo maker wanted to make one?
    LEO!!!!
    amd phenom II x6 1100T | gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 . .
    2x2gb g.skill 2133c8 | 128gb g.skill falcon ssd
    sapphire ati 5850 | x-fi xtrememusic. . .
    samsung f4 2tb | samsung dvdrw . .
    corsair tx850w | windows 7 64-bit.
    ddc3.25 xspc restop | ek ltx | mc-tdx | BIP . .
    lycosa-g9-z2300 | 26" 1920x1200 lcd .

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    Yes, movieman is trying to pay ASUS to release a modded BIOS to the public. So far he's not making too much progress. ASUS is working on it though, I believe.
    That's not what I said.
    I said I'd be willing to toss Asus $200.00 towards making a proper adjustable bios.. Very different.
    I don't know anyone inside Asus with the power to get that done or I'd have called and asked..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Brilliant Idiot
    Thing is, there's no loss. Just flaming at a computer screen because a multi-billion dollar corporation won't listen to a group of about ~20 people.

Even 64NOMIS has seemed to ignore this thread.
    Tbh....it may seem ignored.....but i assure you it's not.

I can also assure you I am probably in hot water for not ignoring it myself but tbh it's the only way i can currently give anything on intel a run for the money so i figure it's justified.
    Last edited by chew*; 07-07-2010 at 01:34 PM.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    That's not what I said.
    I said I'd be willing to toss Asus $200.00 towards making a proper adjustable bios.. Very different.
    I don't know anyone inside Asus with the power to get that done or I'd have called and asked..
    Fixed.

*Hides*
    Smile

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by crazydiamond View Post
    JF, do you know if Zambezi would be capable to work in 2p board if a mobo maker wanted to make one?
    No, it does not have the HT links, it is designed for 1P systems.
    While I work for AMD, my posts are my own opinions.

http://blogs.amd.com/work/author/jfruehe/

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post

I can also assure you I am probably in hot water for not ignoring it myself but tbh it's the only way i can currently give anything on intel a run for the money so i figure it's justified.
    No reason anyone should be upset with you.
    There's a idea here and people exploring it.
    Hell, we could find out that the chips won't OC a 100MHz or OC to the sky.
    That is the point; finding out.
    Not a reason for anger on anyones part and honestly, I can't see any downside to AMD.
    Fixed.

*Hides*
    You better hide or that last birthday you just celebrated will be just that..Your last!
    "I am 15 going on 16" ..whoops, nope!"
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Banned Movieman...
    You better hide or that last birthday you just celebrated will be just that..Your last!
    "I am 15 going on 16" ..whoops, nope!"

Xtreme Member
    That's not what I said.
    IIRC, back in the days of Asus PC-DL & NCCH-DL (xeon boards), bios mods were requested by a member at 2cpu.com (HFU I think), who was/knew a techie at one of the main Asus distributor in the US. I guess they have the clout or the sales volume to make such requests via official support.

These bios mods were not overclocker-friendly, but the basic voltage, multiplier and FSB options were there, although not extreme. Memory straps were achieved via BSEL pin-mods, so it was a combo of hardware and bios tweaks. Memory latencies are done using software in windows. Hardware mods ensures no overclocking can be performed in a server operating environment, just by enthuthiasts. But the bios mods didn't happen overnight, it took quite some time.

Another good enthuthiast board was DH-800 (xeon) from Iwill (now defunct). Iwill also released DK8N which allows Opteron overclocking. Both boards were a hit back then, but Asus PC-DL was cheap and popular.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by pokipoki View Post
    IIRC, back in the days of Asus PC-DL & NCCH-DL (xeon boards), bios mods were requested by a member at 2cpu.com (HFU I think), who was/knew a techie at one of the main Asus distributor in the US. I guess they have the clout or the sales volume to make such requests via official support.

These bios mods were not overclocker-friendly, but the basic voltage, multiplier and FSB options were there, although not extreme. Memory straps were achieved via BSEL pin-mods, so it was a combo of hardware and bios tweaks. Memory latencies are done using software in windows. Hardware mods ensures no overclocking can be performed in a server operating environment, just by enthuthiasts. But the bios mods didn't happen overnight, it took quite some time.

Another good enthuthiast board was DH-800 (xeon) from Iwill (now defunct). Iwill also released DK8N which allows Opteron overclocking. Both boards were a hit back then, but Asus PC-DL was cheap and popular.
    Your close but the Asus PC-DL was excellent because for $200.00 new you could buy the board, scrounge up apair of 1600/512/400 D1,xeons pin mod the socket( u shaped wire stuck into 2 sockets and bingo: 3200/512/800 ifI remember right.
    Also XS's DDTUNG was involved in figuring out the volt mods for them.
    Hell, he ran those on DC work and had them to such a fine pitch he was out doing my 3year newer Irwindale dualie..
    OT but back in 2004 Isold almost 100 of those 1600 D1's on ebay for $70.00/each before I knew how much they were worth!
    They were going for double what I was selling them for.

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post

Well, if AMD don't want to step up to the plate and increase their competitiveness, what can you do apart from choose the other team that gives you what you want?

On a seperate note, why do so many people want to see Asus make the mobo/BIOS? Gigabyte would be a much better option.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ket View Post
    Well, if AMD don't want to step up to the plate and increase their competitiveness, what can you do apart from choose the other team that gives you what you want?

On a seperate note, why do so many people want to see Asus make the mobo/BIOS? Gigabyte would be a much better option.
    Yes,Gigabyte does make a excellent board but Asus has the board out right now that will work with the right bios and from what I've seen so far working with it the last month it is an excellent board..
    Check out the features.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-643-_-Product

Xtreme 3D Team
    That board could potentially support 4-way crossfire, Quad Channel DDR3 and 24 overclocked cores if a desktop board *whistles* /facepalm
    Smile

Ah, that explains it then

ED - beepbeep, wheres those results you were gonna do?

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Addict
    I'd be more worried about them if they were trying to compete in a market that would gain them nothing. Besides, it isn't like Intel invented and markets the SR-2.

They would be gaining quite a lot I would imagine. How many more Xeons do you think intel have shifted since the SR-2 came out? I'm going to guess a extra 20%.

"Prowler"

Cooling:

Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme 3D Team
    Ah, that explains it then

ED - beepbeep, wheres those results you were gonna do?
    Results?

Sorry, I'm a very confused kid at this time of my life.

EDIT:

The RAM, or 4850/5770?
    Smile

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    That board could potentially support 4-way crossfire, Quad Channel DDR3 and 24 overclocked cores if a desktop board *whistles* /facepalm
    Realistically just 2 vid cards,read the specs
    They would be gaining quite a lot I would imagine. How many more Xeons do you think intel have shifted since the SR-2 came out? I'm going to guess a extra 20%.
    No,nowhere near there..Not even a 1/2 of one percent.
    Stop and think of how many xeons Intel sells..
    20%..
    If Intel had sold an extra 20% xeons because of the SR2 board EVGA would have to build another plant to produce the boards..
    Just a guess but I'd think that if EVGA hits 10,000 board sales they will be thrilled, thats 20,000 cpu's..
    Think on the millions Intel sells yearly..

Results?

Sorry, I'm a very confused kid at this time of my life.

EDIT:

The RAM, or 4850/5770?
    Both If you think your confused now.. give it another few years. I had a friend yelling at me via text just because she disapproves of me visiting a strip club for a hour or two on my birthday lol.

"Prowler"

Cooling:

Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Realistically just 2 vid cards,read the specs

No,nowhere near there..Not even a 1/2 of one percent.
    Stop and think of how many xeons Intel sells..
    20%..
    If Intel had sold an extra 20% xeons because of the SR2 board EVGA would have to build another plant to produce the boards..
    Just a guess but I'd think that if EVGA hits 10,000 board sales they will be thrilled, thats 20,000 cpu's..
    Think on the millions Intel sells yearly..
    I was guessing Xeon sales were fairly low in comparison to mainstream parts, after all, only big business has interest in the Xeons really. With the SR-2 coming in Xeons suddenly become desirable to medium businesses who need a server or two, folders, and even to some general consumers who have the knowledge. The SR-2 makes a Xeon almost look as consumer orientated as a Core2 or i5/7.

"Prowler"

Cooling:

Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Member
    Well, if AMD don't want to step up to the plate and increase their competitiveness, what can you do apart from choose the other team that gives you what you want? ...snip.
    Well... there are other processor platforms like Cyrix, powerpc, and heaven forbid Intel. :P Because, you know those first 2 are still hanging around, somehow. I just find it crazy that Intel has their fingers so deep into the PC, Server, AND Mac market, that the idea of marketing a dual proc motherboard with the capabilities that the enthusiasts are asking for seems like a no-brainer.

Does anyone know what kind of sales the SR2 is seeing, since it's continually mentioned here?
    ==========================================
    XClio 1000, Gigabye GA-MA790XT-UD4P
    AMD Phenom II 955BE @3.2 GHz, Noctua NH-D14
    CORSAIR 950TX 950W, 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600
    Sapphire 4850x2 CFX
    Win7 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by stangracin3 View Post
    and the more i type the more BS comes out of my keyboard. LOL

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ROFLCOPTER!!!!!

There is maybe only about a thousand of sr-2 already sold and you know xeon are for server ???? Big company buy those cpu in rack of thousand. Seriously sr-2 might have helped the sale of xeon cpu of about 0.01% and i quite optimistic right now.Seriously atleast please read everything people say in the thread you post in before you say anything because JF-Amd gave us the real statistic of xeon used for desktop usage( which is around 2.5% of the sales of xeon).

The only thing we are asking JF-Amd is that if he could help us contact some bios developping team to have atleast a contact at supermicro/tyan/asus... so then we can work it out for some beta bios.
    Quote Originally Posted by DDtung
    We overclock and crunch you to the ground

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456