View Poll Results: Would you buy an Opteron SMP board for enthuthiasts?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, preferably from Supermicro

16 16.84%
  • Yes, preferably from Tyan

12 12.63%
  • Yes, preferably from Asus

38 40.00%
  • Yes, preferably from MSI

13 13.68%
  • Yes, preferably from Gigabyte

26 27.37%
  • Yes, prefer other manufacturers

13 13.68%
  • Yes, 4 sockets please!

24 25.26%
  • Nope.

12 12.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you buy an Opteron SMP board for enthuthiasts?

Xtreme Member

Would you buy an Opteron SMP board for enthuthiasts?

multiple choices allowed!
    Last edited by pokipoki; 07-05-2010 at 08:29 AM.

Xtreme 3D Team
    Yes, if it were from ASUS or...EVGA! *gasp*
    Smile

Banned Movieman...
    if i had the money EVGA would be my first choice

Xtreme Enthusiast
    any will do
    but do add in overclock feature
    Main Rig:
    Processor & Motherboard:AMD Ryzen5 1400 ' Gigabyte B450M-DS3H
    Random Access Memory Module:Adata XPG DDR4 3000 MHz 2x8GB
    Graphic Card:XFX RX 580 4GB
    Power Supply Unit:FSP AURUM 92+ Series PT-650M
    Storage Unit:Crucial MX 500 240GB SATA III SSD
    Processor Heatsink Fan:AMD Wraith Spire RGB
    Chasis:Thermaltake Level 10GTS Black

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Too difficult to say.... If supermicro had a team devoted to OCing, it would rock. They produce insanely good boards (I own a dual sockt opty board by them). Tyan isn't bad either (killed one of their boards, my fault, but super solid).

Asus can be hit or miss and not being able to downgrade to a previous bios sucks.

I've had good luck with MSI as well as biostar and gigabyte, and who knows who would make the best board.....

It's almost an impossible question to answer since no one has done this.
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Enthusiast
    No matter how much you try, you will not convince JF-AMD to do it, he don't think that we would ever justify the testing and support. What is annoying is that we aren't asking that they design Dual Processor Motherboards (A mostly Server only area) from the ground up for enthusiast, just that some of the current ones should have the necessary BIOS options for allowing enthusiast a decent deal of flexibility and that does perfectly the job. We are a niche market that could use Server platforms to suit our enthusiast needs, and they could provide that flexibility to allow us do so even if they aren't designing with us in mind. If the Motherboard is blow away for running out of specs, everyone knows who is responsible.
    Actually, I disliked when both AMD and Intel attemped to sell the 4x4 and Skulltrail, that were Dual Processor platforms, to enthusiast, because I prefer Server class components reliabily and style, as most of the enthusiast designers thinks that components should have tons of colors, fancy stuff and ton of trash that justifies a lot of price premium, while Server parts are stetically neutral, with a very clean look, and best of all, highly reliable as they are intended for 24/7 operation that I doubt that enthusiast parts do (They can do so as any good component, but they aren't intended to do so, in the same way that Server class parts aren't mean to be tweaked but should be able to do so finely).
    Last edited by zir_blazer; 07-05-2010 at 10:39 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It's not my call, I am the director of marketing, not product management (they make all of the product decisions.)

Let me give you 2 scenarios where this could hurt us:

1. Some bonehead decides to overclock a server because he has figured out how to do it. Server crashes. Bad. Data lost, database corrupted. CIO comes to find out what happend. "Servers shouldn't allow overclocking. Why in the hell were we buying consumer products? Get these things out of here now."

2. Some person is intel biased and is trying to talk their company into spending more for intel. They point to the fact that Opteron can be overclocked as "proof" that this is a gamer platform and not a "real server."

The potential sales to consumers could never compensate for the potential damage to the brand. Every morning I walk into my office and try to convince the world that there is a better choice for server platforms. Anything that detracts from that will not help me meet my goals.

You have to look at this from a pure revenue and market perspective. I understand that everyone wants to overclock my parts. That meets your goals, not mine. There is no way that selling Opteron into the enthusiast market could allow us to grow share. We have run the numbers, it just won't work.
    While I work for AMD, my posts are my own opinions.

http://blogs.amd.com/work/author/jfruehe/

intel has the skull trails and the evga board, why not bring back an FX board. if u ban server OEMs from selling whole systems with them (as i dont think that they would anyways) i love to play with some mangy overclocking. or let some1 make a single socket mangy board for overclocking or make an unlocked cpu and only allow for vcore and multi adjustments (with proper ram support in the bios also.)

there are not many times that an OEM built pc and especially a server will allow overclocking so there is no reason not to let some1 put one out. maybe only let it use normal ram so no1 would try to server it
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Brilliant Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by JF-AMD View Post
    It's not my call, I am the director of marketing, not product management (they make all of the product decisions.)

1. Some bonehead decides to overclock a server because he has figured out how to do it. Server crashes. Bad. Data lost, database corrupted. CIO comes to find out what happend. "Servers shouldn't allow overclocking. Why in the hell were we buying consumer products? Get these things out of here now."

2. Some person is intel biased and is trying to talk their company into spending more for intel. They point to the fact that Opteron can be overclocked as "proof" that this is a gamer platform and not a "real server."

The potential sales to consumers could never compensate for the potential damage to the brand. Every morning I walk into my office and try to convince the world that there is a better choice for server platforms. Anything that detracts from that will not help me meet my goals.

You have to look at this from a pure revenue and market perspective. I understand that everyone wants to overclock my parts. That meets your goals, not mine. There is no way that selling Opteron into the enthusiast market could allow us to grow share. We have run the numbers, it just won't work.
    Let me give you a scenario that is hurting right now.......

1. Intel wins all 3d bencmarks............intel fanboy's chant AMD is teh sux......consumers that are easlily persuaded and not very budget minded listen or they go buy some castrated intel part that is indeed slower just based on some number they will never acchieve. Unfortunately intel has you on thread count......match the threads and in those benches we can be somewhat competitive again etc even a single magny cours.

2. intel is allowing ocing on a select board geared for enthusiasts......Due to the fact it OC's all the cruchers are opting for it over magnycours. Although this market share you belive to be small it is much larger than you can imagine.

I see a rather simple solution......a new SKU for desktops....with a server grade part "rebranded" that will not work in a server environment.......no ECC support......call it a stop gap for now. It surely would not be first time a server grade part was trickled down to desktops.........
    Last edited by chew*; 07-05-2010 at 02:44 PM.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Xtreme Addict
    chew has spoken the truth.

Banned Movieman...
    Quote Originally Posted by richierich View Post
    chew has spoken the truth.
    +999..............................999

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I understand that everyone wants to overclock my parts.
    WHAT?!

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    I see a rather simple solution......a new SKU for desktops....with a server grade part "rebranded" that will not work in a server environment.......no ECC support......call it a stop gap for now. It surely would not be first time a server grade part was trickled down to desktops.........
    That was pretty much what the 4x4 platform was all about, see how "sucessful" it was.

The deal of allowing overclocking on some Motherboards on the current platforms is so there are no design cost involved to fill our niche market, nor price premiums for the rebranding. But JF-AMD already stated why they wouldn't want to do it that way. And your way, was what AMD already did with little to no sucess. Actually, I was against it due the rebranding, downgrading of Server parts, and even the price premium over them for being enthusiast class parts. I prefer the professional Opteron brand name than some random Athlon 64 FX or Phenom.

Brilliant Idiot
    yes but making 2 cpu's work in unison + OC good is rather complex.......

Making a single chip work + OC is not so complex.

I should refer you to s7's thread where he easily ramped up 2 unlocked ES chip on air and set global AMD wprime records.

View count was stellar.......guess no one is interested though
    Last edited by chew*; 07-05-2010 at 03:13 PM.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Xtreme 3D Team
    Then just release a single processor, desktop, Socket G34 board. Load it with 12 phases, 16 phases, 4 PCIE x16 whatever and sell it for $400. Maybe, a classy SR2 type board for even more pwnage.

If AMD had a 12 core desktop part out now all the intel fanboys would stop and go "ooooh" "aaahhh" and whoever has the money will surely buy one.
    Price tag of $1000? No problem. It will stop even intel's Gulftown to the ground. 12 cores vs 12 threads. AMD battles intel CPC...and potentially wins.

AMD instantly gains rep back.
    Smile

Heres another look; why would you be stupid enough to have a enthusiast level server board listed with other server boards? A enthusiast level server board is surely a entirely new area and does not belong with business class server boards.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Member
    How many businesses buy classified SR2's and overclock them JF? Sorry but that's a pretty ridiculous way of looking at it. As chew said it's a much bigger market than you give it credit for, if you want to play the numbers game against xeon's it's a must.

How many enthusiasts hit the roof when they announced magny cores? Every computing message board was littered with news on it and we still don't have a desktop board to handle them

People had dual opterons back in the day and they would now definitely.
    My pot is bigger than your pot

WHAU!!!!

Xtreme 3D Team
    Somebody at AMD needs to be looking at this thread.

Sadly, the only AMD reps we have here are JF-AMD and 64NOMIS, which deal with marketing.
    Smile

Quote Originally Posted by zir_blazer View Post
    WHAT?!

That was pretty much what the 4x4 platform was all about, see how "sucessful" it was.

The deal of allowing overclocking on some Motherboards on the current platforms is so there are no design cost involved to fill our niche market, nor price premiums for the rebranding. But JF-AMD already stated why they wouldn't want to do it that way. And your way, was what AMD already did with little to no sucess. Actually, I was against it due the rebranding, downgrading of Server parts, and even the price premium over them for being enthusiast class parts. I prefer the professional Opteron brand name than some random Athlon 64 FX or Phenom.
    wasnt the 4x4 of whatever the 4 core 2p fx socket slower than the intel core2dup, and it cost way more at a time when almost nothing was multithreaded.

with no mangy on an overclockable platform i would like to see them, maybe a TWKR mangy with unlocked board to overclockers sent out by amd , from a marketing point if u dont have the fastest benches on consumer parts then consumers wont want it even if at their price point amd is way better. or for overclocking maybe a VID and multi only, u cannot really mess that up in a server environment

i would like to see something like the old athlon MP were they were unlocked (by force but still unlocked), overclockable and not much more over the 1p parts. and for the enterprise people saying look its for gaming, how else would u evaluate a cpus performance and reliability sure u could run lineX or exchange with a virtual load but nothing shows reliability IMO more than having a bunch of gamers and overclockers like your stuff, thats like when u make a power tool and race teams are using it, or when u make a camcorder like the pansonic camcorders that cost $5-10k and they do 1080p better than the $50k sony ones so film students use them then when they can get the better expensive stuff they stay with panasonic. in the same way it would be nice to see amd get more low end or 2p server stuff into the overclocking gaming and coding community, and to get amd into the schools to teach people assembly properly instead of having the crap from intel that wont work cross platform that then gets the coders to like intel as their stuff dosnt work or they have to recode it for amd so they recommend intel, but if it was the other way then it would get amd alot more stuff.
    Last edited by zanzabar; 07-05-2010 at 04:07 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Rant as we will, lets be realistic. All this is why AMD are still playing catchup with intel, because AMDs marketing sucks. When was the last time you saw a AMD ad on TV?

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ket View Post
    Rant as we will, lets be realistic. All this is why AMD are still playing catchup with intel, because AMDs marketing sucks. When was the last time you saw a AMD ad on TV?
    Technically they could of released a 24 core desktop platform or even 48... back when magnycores first came out, they would of and would still be the top dog

Just let us play with these chips dammit.
    My pot is bigger than your pot

WHAU!!!!

athlon 64 launch, if u do not include the dell ad for amd when they started selling them and some1 i think acer had an amd vision ad.

what would really help was if amd went and got a mac with it, even though i hate apple they got a resurgence in interest in intel laptops with gpus

i just want to see some mangy benching
    Last edited by zanzabar; 07-05-2010 at 04:19 PM.

Xtreme 3D Team
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvlP9...eature=related

Smile

Xtreme Cruncher
    i would not buy from ASUS. here's why:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=183499

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumbucket843 View Post
    i would not buy from ASUS. here's why:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=183499
    That's ONE board
    Smile

OK, so there we go. About 3 years ago The last time I saw a intel ad was... yesterday. In the guise of Dell trying to shift those ty i3 laptops.

"Prowler"

Cooling:

Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast