Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which phone should I get next?

Xtreme Mentor

Which phone should I get next?

My upgrades due next month on T mobile and I havnt been keeping up to date on recent mobile phones. I want a phone thats good and comfortable to use for web surfing, with a decent camera (5 MP, and 720p video capture min). 7.2 Mbps HSDPA and 2 Mb HSUPA would be ideal of course, but just about most phones today should have those specs.

Heres the list of phones on T mobile:

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/pay-m...mobile-phones/

Im interested in the HTC Desire, Nokia X6, SE Xperia X10, but I'm guessing they will be really expensive on my tariff.

Xtreme Member
    Desire doesn't record 720p as I recall.
    CPU:Core i7 920|RAM:3*2GB OCZ Gold|SSD + 2 HDD|GFX:GTX460 + 8800GT |Monitor:Asus VG236H |MB:Rampage II Gene|Case:Antec P182

Fanboy of Good Products
    looks like out of those phones the desire is the best
    Cruncher #1: EVGA Z68 FTW | i7-2600k @ 4.5 | 6GB Ram
    Cruncher #2: Supermicro Dual-Socket | 2 x 6-core Opterons | 4GB Ram
    Cruncher #3: 8-core Xserve 1,1

T400 for non-crunching

"But don't think you'll run me over - It's, ah, planting season here in Texas... and the farm is growing..." -Otis11 on crunching WCG

Quote Originally Posted by Nightcover View Post
    Desire doesn't record 720p as I recall.
    will record in 2.2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8B5SM6nlQ4
    this is test shot

Xtreme Member
    I just a minute ago ordered a Samsung Galaxy S and I was debating making a thread asking for advice on what to get but hardware wise the Galaxy is the dogs bollocks.

Xtreme Addict
    HD2 would rock see if they can get that one for you
    i7 6700K @4.8 ghz
    XSPC RayStorm (very nice block)
    Z170 Sabertooh ,, 32GB- Gskill (15-15-15-36 @3600 mhz) 1:1
    XFX-7970 with Swiftech Komodo nickel block
    Water Cooling - MO-RA3 Pro with 4 Silverstone 180mm @ 700 rpm, Twin Vario mcp-655 pumps
    Samsung 850-1TB SSD,, OCZ ZX-1250W (powerfull and silent)
    Crossfire 30" decent monitor for IPS too bad SED tech died

Docsis2.0 Docsis3.0

-- People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.

Xtreme Member
    i like x10mini or mini pro with keyboard, it is really mini !
    Phenom II x6 1055T | ASRock 880G Ex.3 | 560Ti FrozrII 1GB| Corsair Vengeance 1600 2x4GB | Win7 64 | M4 128GB

VR Box - i5 6600 | MSI Mortar | Gigabyte G1 GTX 1060 | Viper 16GB DDR4 2400 | 256 SSD | Oculus Rift CV1 + Touch

Xtreme Mentor
    It was upgrade time, this is what I were offered:

I really wanted to go for the Desire at that price, however it was long out of stock with a waiting queue of several months. They told me that lots of people are still on the waiting list for it since June, so I wouldnt get it any time soon. I dont really use my phone enough to justify paying so much for the Galaxy S, or full X10 Xperia, and what I really wanted now was an affordable android phone with a querty keyboard for typing.

So I went for the X10 Mini Pro for free as it has most of the features I were looking for, just not as highly specced. It was also out of stock, but they assured me that it only had a wait time of up to one week, as they recieve stock every week and they would be able to fulfill my order with their next lot.

It has VGA video recording and 3.6 Mbps, which I suppose is good enough (I dont even get much higher bandwidth on T mobile anyway).
    Last edited by Mungri; 08-30-2010 at 04:19 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Samsung Wave. Probably because i have it and it's a wonderful phone, especially from its hardware side. Only downside is that it's not Android but Bada (Samsung's own OS).
    But typing with an on-screen keyboard is really good. Once you learn what part of finger contacts where, you can type damn fast even in normal vertical mode. And it's way faster than traditional 3 or more letters per button keyboard.
    I'd personally avoid anything from Nokia because their hardware is awfully outdated even though Symbian does have a big app support, its just no it.
    Xperia is a mixed thing, some things are good, others bad. I don't have much experience with HTC.
    Personally i'd go with something from Samsung. Wave is a great option, but if you want Android, then Galaxy class is the thing you want to look at.
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

Xtreme Mentor
    I already picked the X10 Mini Pro. Free is good. I like free

Xtreme Addict
    X10 mini were suppose to have crappy battery. How does it work for you? Lasts good enough or dies quickly?
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354

Xtreme Addict
    They have no good Blackberries

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by RejZoR View Post
    X10 mini were suppose to have crappy battery. How does it work for you? Lasts good enough or dies quickly?
    I dont have it yet, they said it will take up to 1 week to get the mini in stock.

I mostly keep the phone tethered to my PC anyway, so battery life shouldnt be an issue, but it sounds like it will deplete fast if i'm browsing on the phone away from the PC.
    Last edited by Mungri; 08-30-2010 at 09:08 PM.

Xtreme Member
    BBs are pants! the keyboards are too small and they arent really that flexible. everyone bangs on about BB messanger but whats unlimited texts for?

What tarrif are you on

Minutes/Texts/Internet/Price

Had a major hassle with Tmobile last upgrade so i jumped ship to 02. So glad i did. I actually have customer service

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther_Seraphi View Post

What tarrif are you on

Minutes/Texts/Internet/Price

£180 of credit (up to 900 minutes or 1800 texts), plus 10 Gb of internet use including modem and Voip per month.

Normal price £57.50, 50% discount for the life of the contract = £28.75 (old employment offer that stays even after leaving the company).

I can leave that, its too good. Best tariff ever. if I leave, both the discount and the tariff are gone forever.

The only issue I have with customer service / upgrades is trying to remind them that the discount is meant to be permanent when I upgrade. They tend to forget and try to remove it.
    Last edited by Mungri; 08-30-2010 at 12:31 PM.

Xtreme Member
    HOLY S***

Well i think they are offering you absolute pants for what your paying!!!

I could get anything i wanted for £40 a month minimum 600 mins unlimited txts and 750mb internet (02 just changed their policy on internet)

Technically the offer goes up when you upgrade as technically you have a new contract!

Xtreme Mentor
    I'm paying £28.75 a month, its half price too, so I get rubbish prices on upgrades.

That £40 a month tariff is too much for too little data (750 mb, ewwww) .

The upgrade prices I have are right. Use the following formula as a guideline:

If a phone is free from £X per month, then if your tariff is £X per month too, the upgrade will be around £100.

If a phone is free from £X-10, then it should be free to upgrade to on the £X per month tariff.

Thats a handy upgrade price estimation formula
    Last edited by Mungri; 08-30-2010 at 01:31 PM.

Xtreme Member
    I know it sounds expensive but that was 3 months ago for a galaxyS

Ive got a dell streak on the same contract for 35.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Similar boat, i can upgrade next month with Verizon, i want a nice phone that doesn't require an extra fee like say a Blackberry.........
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Xtreme Mentor
    (02 just changed their policy on internet)
    Just to follow this up, I dont think you can get 10 Gb including tethering and voip per month for £11.25 on O2, or with anyone else. Thats what I lose if I end this contract, and its too much for me to lose, even if I have to pay for upgrades. But I got given a good mid - high end phone for free. I'm really not going to be getting anything like the HTC Desire, I Phone 4, or full size X10 Xperia for cheap on this tariff, and I accept that if I want something like that I would have to pay.

As long as I can text on it easily, have good internet features, and an adequate replacement for a digicam, that will do me just fine .

Xtreme Member
    Why is the tethering so important? Also to let you know that you cant tether very easily with android! It usually requires a paid for app to work!

Xtreme Mentor
    Why is the tethering so important? Also to let you know that you cant tether very easily with android! It usually requires a paid for app to work!
    http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/supp...ro?cc=au&lc=en

I took out my contract to use as a modem while at uni, and decided to keep it for the discount and still use it as a modem.

SE phones usually work very well as modems. Im sure its possible and supported on this phone judging by that webpage.

Xtreme Addict
    I've seen a teethering mode in Samsung Kies as well. Samsung Wave and all Galaxy models use it.

HTC DESIRE here and tethering simple no app needed part of OS. Just plug USB in and Pick USB Tethering and as of Android 2.2 phone is also WIFI HotSpot!

I use both daily for internet access and have no problem at all.
    Never seperate fighting dogs - You'll give one the advantage.

ASUS Formula Maximus C2D Q6600 G0 @ 3400 Mhz 2 x 2 Gb Cosair PC 6400 Asus HD2900xt 512Mb Tuniq Tower 120 Seagate 400 Gig SATA II Seagate 320 Gig SATA II Seagate 250 Gig SATA II Seagate 250 Gig SATA II Lite-On DVDRW LH-20A1H Plextor 48/48/24 CD-RW Asus Europa II DVB/FM Hybrid TV Card Cooler Master Real Power Modular M1000 Silverstone TJ05

Xtreme Enthusiast
    HTC HD2, or EVO. My HD2 is running on android though. Love it
    Project Elegant Dreams
    CPU: Intel 980x (3005F803T) @ Stock , Mobo: Rampage III Extreme, Ram: 24GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 C9 1T 1.51v GPU: SLI EK'd Vanilla GTX580, 0.875v @ idle.
    Sound:Asus Xonar Xense w/Sennheiser PC350
    SSD: 2x OCZ Agility 3 120GB RAID-0 on ICH10 Storage: 2x1.5TB Hitachi 5K3000, 1.5TB WD Black, 1TB F3, various other HDD's Case: Obsidian 800D, PSU: Corsair AX1200,

Water Cooling
    Main Loop
    EK Supreme HF
    EK GTX480 blocks on EVGA 580s
    MCP355 and MCP35X in serial
    Dual BlackIce GTX480 Rads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast