Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Review] AquaComputer cuplex kryos XT Tested

Admin

[Review] AquaComputer cuplex kryos XT Tested

First review of the new i7 CPU Block Roundup #3....new testbed, some changes in testing method, etc., etc. More importantly, this is my AquaComputer cuplex kryos XT review

A big thanks to Shoggy for the review sample

Full review is here, but all the results and some impressions are in this thread of course

First up, great performance from this block....beat the EK Supreme HF P1 with CPU temps at typical/medium pumping power (though barely). Restriction isn't bad and not a deal breaker in the slightest. The block is sharp and shiny and solid, can't say I know a better way to describe how it looks and feels; it's really, really nice.

I'm not fond of the mounting system, but it is better than the EK and Heatkiller mounting system. The biggest problem is with assembling the backplate/hexnut configuration. I just don't think assembly should be required for mounting, this is reinforced by the fact there are great mounting kits out that do not require assembly.

The barb spacing is really tight...Bitspower and Koolance 3/8-1/2" compressions are a no-go and even 3/4" OD tubing with clamps is really, really tight.

The base with the thicker o-ring has a noticeable bow:

Anyway, onto performance!

Small win for the kryos XT, but a win is a win

Despite the mounting system, I'm really digging this block for its performance and its looks. The rectangular pin matrix is obviously providing a lot of performance and is really well done. The bent pins should really be of zero concern, there's no measurable performance loss and they're not going to break off

Xtreme Member
    Nice testing there. Really good quality images of the block too!

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Amazing work as usual..that pumping power vs temps is really ideal. Amazing how close the results are.

Thanks for the detailed work.

Admin
    Thanks Martin!

Here's the tables of data from all the tests so far....Supreme HF P1 vs. kryos XT (thick o-ring) are within hundreths of a degree at the four highest pumping power settings

Xtreme Addict
    Amazing job Vapor, love the test . I'd buy it if I didn't like the EK Supreme HF better. I really doubt I'd notice 0.05C difference .
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

Xtreme Addict
    Very nice review Vapor.

Xtreme Guru
    Hmm. I somehow expected a little bit bigger win hearing from Shoggy about big effort put in developing block and mirriads of variations tested. Current result combo (of both temps+restriction) runs a bit short for 'replacing king' in my eyes. Imho HF still occupies 'sweet spot' of overall performance. I won't count silver version, as it's price simply is in too ridiculously expensive area, but half degree win of this more common variety of block in temps probably can be catched up by full-nickel or full-copper versions of EK's HF, and you'll get as bonus better flow (especially now when one can buy replacement top to fit two 1/2"ID BP CFs aswell). I aplaud efforts of Aquacomputer, but my choice of full nickel HF as top block remains unchanged.
    Imho this test shown that microchannels like that of HF's && CPU-360 have more potential to get to 'sweet spot' of temps vs restriction then that of micropins design, which was refined further from Apogee XT into this new Kryo WB, and i'm guessing that next iterations of Koolance's and EK's cpu blocks will be able to reach little bit better results with even more thin and deeper microchannels then current ones in both flow & temps unlike micropin arch that seemingly has hit limits. Afterall, it's easier to make thinner channels then thinner pins material strength & machining difficulty wise ..

Unoriginal Macho Energy
    Nice review Vapor

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
    GTZ --> MCW-NBMAX --> EK FC --> PA 120.3 --> PA 160.1 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
    *:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*

Quote Originally Posted by ranker View Post
    Did you just get hit in the head with a heavy object? Because obviously you're failing at reading comprehension.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    but half degree win
    i don't know how you guys can declare a winner with such a small gain/lost, it is WELL within the margin of error from the testing
    Intel i7 980x / 3001B331
    HK3.0+LaingDDCPRO+XSPCRX360+1xMCR220
    EVGA Classified X58+EK FB
    6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 7-8-7-20(TR3X6G1866C7GT)
    ASUS GTX580
    Enermax Revolution+85 950w
    Corsair Obsidian

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by mk-ultra View Post
    i don't know how you guys can declare a winner with such a small gain/lost, it is WELL within the margin of error from the testing
    Who said half a degree? It's ten times less for the Kryos XT with thicker oring: 0.05 degree. I think the best at this point would be to declare a tie.
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    Mondays:

Xtreme Guru
    mk-ultra: that's where the several mounts and average temps come in to eliminate errors.
    Alexandros: or loss, as it's way more restrictive

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    Who said half a degree? It's ten times less for the Kryos XT with thicker oring: 0.05 degree. I think the best at this point would be to declare a tie.
    That would be like declaring a 110-109 basketball game a tie.

If I were to retest each block 5 times (not 5 mounts, but 5 tests of 6 mounts), maybe the results would move a little bit. After that many mounts, however, I'm sure my ability to 'master' an ideal mounting technique for either block would come into play even more.

The results are insanely close (look at the Low through Very High pumping power results--5 hundreths of a degree is the largest separation), but it would be disservice to the data to call it a tie (especially if I were to round down to tenths of a degree....then it would be 75.9C vs. 76C ).

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vapor View Post
    that would be like declaring a 110-109 basketball game a tie.
    cheers!!

Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    I somehow expected a little bit bigger win hearing from Shoggy about big effort put in developing block and mirriads of variations tested.
    I'd say these new WBs have reached technological limit, don't you think?.. I would be surprised to see a new WB outperforming Kryos or EK HF by one degree within one year, at least.
    Hmm, maybe a fully silver base?..
    Last edited by @lex; 07-01-2010 at 09:32 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    I doubt that's the same. Because during basketball, there aren't that many variables that come into play. The fact is, even over 5 mounts, 0.05 degrees difference can be caused by anything, even you exhaling anywhere near it. I know it's 'better' according to your tests (which I hold highly btw ), but IMO 0.05 isn't enough to declare a winner, not with that many variables coming into play. My main reason for this is that CPU's have a little something called rounding errors, they only give full degrees. Mounting it 5 times gives less of an error, but I still consider 0.05 degrees difference a rounding error by the CPU.
    Mondays:

Admin
    If you can't tell, I have a stubbornness about ties

You can call it a wash, you can call it within margin of error, you can call it imperceptible, just don't call it a tie

I don't think the .05C difference means diddly, but one block did have a better performance for CPU temps at that setting in the data I have

Xtreme Addict
    Fair enough . I guess you got to be able to tell the masses something. No one likes a tie, I'm aware of that. Makes it look like nothing changed. But just as you don't like ties, I don't like rounding errors. Since it's your test, it's up to you how you want to present the data , it just won't change a thing for me. To me it's still a tie .
    Mondays:

Xtreme Member
    I'm with Vapor on this one. The way he takes the averages means the only way for a tie is for them to be equal. If it was just one or two mounts per block it might be different, but scientifically speaking rounding error isn't as prominent when averaged out with the worst mount disregarded. 0.05C might not be much of a difference, but it is a little and that may be all we see for a while from block manufacturers.

Another good review.

Chasing After Diety
    Guys the block is excellent... no doubt about it.

The only flaw i had was you cant use jumbo tubing on it.

But shoggy did say they made a new one with wider spacing, so i would honestly wait for that.

Hehe... this is probably one of my favorite shots.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    mk-ultra: that's where the several mounts and average temps come in to eliminate errors.
    ELLIMINATE ERRORS...that's a pretty bold claim here, how can such a test be 100% errors free, not 99.9%, 100 fricking percent errors free. There's always a margin of error, of a degree at the very least.

there's too many variable to not have a margin of error,(temps readers, ambient temp,water temp, humidity, cpu load applied,(i'm sure i'm forgetting a lot)
    what if ambient changed from a tenth of degree it would be a world of difference for those small gaps data.

i'm not looking to dish out those reviews, i love the effort put into them and everything have been made to have the best data possible. i'm happy to see another good block on the market, being superior of a tenth of a degree tho doesn't make a world of difference. You can call the better performing block a winner but with those gaps, i take it with a grain of salt. The datas are more important than the decision at the end.

ok my rant is over, keep up the good work vapor
    Intel i7 980x / 3001B331
    HK3.0+LaingDDCPRO+XSPCRX360+1xMCR220
    EVGA Classified X58+EK FB
    6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 7-8-7-20(TR3X6G1866C7GT)
    ASUS GTX580
    Enermax Revolution+85 950w
    Corsair Obsidian

Aqua Computer Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    But shoggy did say they made a new one with wider spacing, so i would honestly wait for that.
    You don't have to wait for it. It is already available

Got a question or having a problem with your Aqua Computer product?
    Contact us via PM or E-Mail.

hey Shoggy, i'd like to know if there's a nickel plated version of the Kryos HF in your roadmap.

Great work on that waterblock and nice review vapor
    E8500 4.25 GHz ||Ybris ACS
    Rampage Extreme || Bitspower Fullcover
    GTX 260 216 || EK FC GTX 280
    Supertalent 2GHz CL7 4GB || BI GTX 360
    Enermax Galaxy DXX 1 KW || EK-D5-V2
    Custom V2110b || Delta triple blade 140 CFM
    1/2"x3/4" Clear Primoflex || Distilled water

Xtreme Enthusiast
    grate work as usual Vapor, thanks .

Quote Originally Posted by Shoggy View Post
    You don't have to wait for it. It is already available
    Where outside of Europe is it/will it be available? :/

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain H.N. View Post
    Where outside of Europe is it/will it be available? :/
    it will actually be available next week or the week after that.
    I'm sure most of the main retailers will eventually stock it, as are we and we ship international. PM me if your interested
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast