Thread: 2 Apogee XT's in a series, what pump?

Xtreme Enthusiast

2 Apogee XT's in a series, what pump?

I'm planning out an SR-2 build and I have one XT from a current build so those are definitely the blocks ill be using. Currently what I'd like to do is have the two XT's and a MRC-420 in one loop, but I'm not sure what I should look for as far a pump goes. Right now I'm looking at a D5 with an XSPC reservoir, but is that going to be too under powered? Also is there any chance running the blocks in parallel is a better idea?

PS: anyone got any idea about when a full cover block for this board is going to be available?
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    real men like the idea of packing lots of stuff into a very small space, which is what the mac mini is
    ----------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Baron_Davis View Post
    PS. I'm even tougher IRL.

Xtreme Guru
    If pump gonna be D5 with it's lesser head pressure then that of DDC's, yeah, imho better put both XTs in parallel, as they are relatively rather restrictive.

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    If pump gonna be D5 with it's lesser head pressure then that of DDC's, yeah, imho better put both XTs in parallel, as they are relatively rather restrictive.
    +1
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Member
    believe me you don't want the D5 for that restrictive loop running in series ,the DDC 3.25 with either XSPC or EK top would be the best option as you need a pump with high pressure,as for the SR-2 block EK has one being made and the ETA is 9th of july as it is stated on their website
    Last edited by seeka12; 06-30-2010 at 01:23 PM.
    *****:Hi
    Me:Hi,how old are you?
    *****:14,U?
    Me:I am 15,where are you from?
    *****I am from USA,U?
    Me:I am from Egypt
    *****:what?!!!!,you must be joking
    Me:why?
    *****: Don't you ride camels and have no forms of Technology ?
    Me:LOL

Xtreme Enthusiast
    would there be a big difference between 1 and 2 ddc3.25's? I'm looking at some of the dual ddc tops and if these blocks are that restrictive is a dual ddc setup a better option? or is one good enough considering I'm only going to be using 1 MCR-420?
    real men like the idea of packing lots of stuff into a very small space, which is what the mac mini is

Xtreme Addict
    I think a single DDC3.25 should be enough for those two blocks and that radiator.
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    I think a single DDC3.25 should be enough for those two blocks and that radiator.
    +1 IMO one DDC 3.25 with a top for 2 XTs is enough
    *****I am from USA,U?

Xtreme Member
    Try and take some photos as you go, would be nice to see

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by imersa View Post
    Try and take some photos as you go, would be nice to see
    +1 i wanna see as much as i can of the SR-2's builds
    *****I am from USA,U?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    A second pump will get you 1, maybe 2C, not really worth it imho.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    I'm planning 2 XT's on a D5 with a HWLabs GTX 560 rad and a board block by Bei Fei in Texas..
    Will have the board block in hand next week.
    The rest is here nowincluding a nice custom front for the MM Extended Ascention drilled to hold the GTX560..
    Very sweet!
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Guru
    Are you shure you want GTX (less effective with silent fans), not SR1 (made for such)? And are you shure you'll be able to mount that long rad (605mm) with ease in your case? Good 140mm fans also hard to find unlike 120mm ones.

Xtreme Cruncher
    like others have mentioned many times already, a regular mcp355 with a top can handle two blocks and a large rad fine

Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    I'm planning 2 XT's on a D5 with a HWLabs GTX 560 rad and a board block by Bei Fei in Texas..
    Will have the board block in hand next week.
    The rest is here nowincluding a nice custom front for the MM Extended Ascention drilled to hold the GTX560..
    Very sweet!
    dave entering the world of watercooling?? we don't see this very often
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Are you shure you want GTX (less effective with silent fans), not SR1 (made for such)? And are you shure you'll be able to mount that long rad (605mm) with ease in your case? Good 140mm fans also hard to find unlike 120mm ones.
    I have the GTX560 and silent fans? What are they?
    I have 4-65cfm 140mm fans and if needed I'll get 4 more and do a push-pull.
    Yea, it will fit, had a custom front made for the case just for this rad
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFireDragon View Post
    like others have mentioned many times already, a regular mcp355 with a top can handle two blocks and a large rad fine

dave entering the world of watercooling?? we don't see this very often
    Nope, but it's been a couple years, it's time..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Nope, but it's been a couple years, it's time..

I saw you're avatar this morning and started ordering so evga, MM, and various other companies that received my paycheck have you to thank.

BTW what are you doing for a board cooling loop/is your full cover block going to be in a loop of its own or with something else? and hows the bclk ceiling on the board? I'm having a tough time picking cpu's

Chasing After Diety
    Hey Seeka Your sig reminds me how ignorant us americans are.

*sigh*...

Sad thing is 5/10 people u ask, i bet you would get the same answer.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Addict
    Naekuh, you have anything particular to blame for that? I've always wondered 2 things:
    1. is the stereotypical ignorant american a realistic image of actual americans? I've found out on several occasions, it is.
    2. Where does this ignorance come from? I mean, I really doubt the educational system is that different. Is it the tv, should we blame the parents? perhaps even Canada (for those Canadians that don't realise it, that was a South Park reference. Covering my ass, just in case ).
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandr0s View Post
    Naekuh, you have anything particular to blame for that? I've always wondered 2 things:
    1. is the stereotypical ignorant american a realistic image of actual americans? I've found out on several occasions, it is.
    2. Where does this ignorance come from? I mean, I really doubt the educational system is that different. Is it the tv, should we blame the parents? perhaps even Canada (for those Canadians that don't realise it, that was a South Park reference. Covering my ass, just in case ).
    Most americans seem to not get out much further than a their own city, so that seems to help add it it.

Also there is still an elitist mentality that America is better than any other country.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Member
    what really gets on my nerve is while watching American movies and TV Series that arab people only appear as terrorists ,what really eases it on me that Terrorists only appear for few seconds in the American movies and Series
    Last edited by seeka12; 06-30-2010 at 01:04 PM.
    *****I am from USA,U?

hey! what was that about Canada!? *waits for an answer while shuddering in igloo*

Mr Swiftech
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggy McShades View Post
    I'm planning out an SR-2 build and I have one XT from a current build so those are definitely the blocks ill be using. Currently what I'd like to do is have the two XT's and a MRC-420 in one loop, but I'm not sure what I should look for as far a pump goes. Right now I'm looking at a D5 with an XSPC reservoir, but is that going to be too under powered? Also is there any chance running the blocks in parallel is a better idea?

PS: anyone got any idea about when a full cover block for this board is going to be available?
    As correctly stated in several response, it would be beneficial from a performance standpoint to parallelize your XT's. Since we have two identical waterblocks, the same principles discussed here also apply to this configuration. As to the choice of pump(s) this remains a matter of preference, as the performance impact remains nominal; if space allows it, and if you parallelize your blocks, the MCP655 is theoratically a slightly better match. But if you do not parallelize, then the 350 or 355 series are theoratically better.
    CEO Swiftech

Yo i buyed 2 apogee xt 1 week ago for my evga sr2 and i tell you its not enought power!!!! i was rly piss off that i have to much temp with that 2 blocks thermochill 120.4 and laing d5 pump i wanna ask what i can do i have 2 loop already 1 for sli and second for that cpus dont wanna do another loop you sure that DDC 3.25 have enought power for that 2 apogee xt with rad 120.4??

Xtreme Guru
    You can paralelise without spliting completely separate loop just fine. Simplier for SLI/CF gpu blocks, a bit more work for other water blocks (like cpu wbs here), but no rocket science needed anyway. Eg. with Y-adapters like these before and after ..
    Such parallelising will greatily reduce overall loop restriction, that would help with pump like D5 with it's lesser head pressure. I'm guessing that DDC-3.25 might handle two of XTs in serial just fine though (i don't take into account rad restriction, as it's relatively is very small and almost irrevelant).
    Last edited by Church; 07-02-2010 at 10:10 AM.

You can paralelise without spliting completely separate loop just fine. Simplier for SLI/CF gpu blocks, a bit more work for other water blocks (like cpu wbs here), but no rocket science needed anyway. Eg. with Y-adapters like these before and after ..
    Such parallelising will greatily reduce overall loop restriction, that would help with pump like D5 with it's lesser head pressure. I'm guessing that DDC-3.25 might handle two of XTs in serial just fine though (i don't take into account rad restriction, as it's relatively is very small and almost irrevelant).
    I lose any performance doing something like this?

Mr Swiftech
    Quote Originally Posted by mmpl View Post
    Yo i buyed 2 apogee xt 1 week ago for my evga sr2 and i tell you its not enought power!!!! i was rly piss off that i have to much temp with that 2 blocks thermochill 120.4 and laing d5 pump i wanna ask what i can do i have 2 loop already 1 for sli and second for that cpus dont wanna do another loop you sure that DDC 3.25 have enought power for that 2 apogee xt with rad 120.4??
    Based on my personal usage, I would do this:
    1/ serialize the two loops into one
    2/ parallelize the SLI blocks and the CPU blocks
    3/ connect the parallelized CPU blocks to the parallelized GPU blocks in series.

Now ask yourself this question: what do you intend to do with this new machine? Are you going to be crunching numbers 24x7 on all 16 threads (or 24 depending what CPU you use) in the background while at the same time playing COD or Crysis ?

Conversely, if your usage model is more or less like the majority of people, you are probably using this high-end system for specific CPU intensive tasks typically in a professional or specific pro/hobby environment, and play games at other times when you are not working. In that case, you will be putting max load either on the CPU OR on the GPU's, but seldom if ever on both at the same time. That's exactly where you will benefit from recombining your loops, because you will have two radiators to dissipate the heat of either your CPU's or your GPU's rather than one.
    Last edited by gabe; 07-02-2010 at 10:50 AM.
    CEO Swiftech