Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dual Loop versus Single, the facts

Xtreme Member
    I just changed from2 loops to 1. Im def getting bettertemps on my cpu, about 5c lower. Before i had the cpu and mobo on a RX480 and my 2 xfx5770's on a EK240. I changed my cards for 2 470's ( running 1 atm) and put everything on 1 loop, still using same rads and pump. And right now my 470 is idle at 29c, and its pretty humid here. Sure that will change when i add the other 470, but im happy

Xtreme Member
    Can I propose this thread + the other one on flow be stickied? People are asking about dual or single loop every other day.

Wes
    Core i7 920 @4.31ghz (HK3.0+MCR320Drive) [DT Air/CPU @ 13c idle, 45c IBT]
    MSI GTX 295 Single PCB with EK 295 + MCR320 Drive + 1450rpmGT [DT Air/CPU @ 10c idle]
    Asus R3E . Corsair TX850 . OCZ 12Gb 1333mhz RAM

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zigzag View Post
    I just changed from2 loops to 1. Im def getting bettertemps on my cpu, about 5c lower. Before i had the cpu and mobo on a RX480 and my 2 xfx5770's on a EK240. I changed my cards for 2 470's ( running 1 atm) and put everything on 1 loop, still using same rads and pump. And right now my 470 is idle at 29c, and its pretty humid here. Sure that will change when i add the other 470, but im happy
    Be sure to help us by posting your results when the other 470 is in. Looking at your original setup, your CPU temp = the old temp (within ~1-2c) when your new 470 comes in. =)

Wes
    Core i7 920 @4.31ghz (HK3.0+MCR320Drive) [DT Air/CPU @ 13c idle, 45c IBT]
    MSI GTX 295 Single PCB with EK 295 + MCR320 Drive + 1450rpmGT [DT Air/CPU @ 10c idle]
    Asus R3E . Corsair TX850 . OCZ 12Gb 1333mhz RAM

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wesley View Post
    Be sure to help us by posting your results when the other 470 is in. Looking at your original setup, your CPU temp = the old temp (within ~1-2c) when your new 470 comes in. =)

Wes
    I will sure, but wont be for a week or 2, while i sort out my hx1000 sleeving. Currently running a strider 700w, and i dont think its up to powering my rig with both cards ^^

Mr Swiftech
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    A horizontal MCR-Drive? Sign me up! I have just the use
    I have 10 samples for review. (1) is reserved for the Xtreme forum. do you want to write a review?
    CEO Swiftech

I am Xtreme
    Gabe does not use unobtainium in this radiators and blocks . . .just an FYI. If the label does not say unobtainium inside, you are not getting the real deal.
    "Thing is, I no longer consider you a member but, rather a parasite...one that should be expunged."

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    I have 10 samples for review. (1) is reserved for the Xtreme forum. do you want to write a review?
    Appreciate the offer but I'm not equipped to do rad or pump testing so I have to decline

I was going to get one for my desktop and swap out the IFX-14 I have now. Figure I get better temps and a decrease in noise (since I'll just be using the intake fans at the top of my case at the same settings and removing a 5v San Ace from the middle of the IFX-14) and finally put to work one of the retired blocks I have here

Xtreme, Okay.
    Gabe, first - great post. Useful data that helps, thanks for sharing!
    I agree with the previous post about getting this on sticky.

Second:

Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    No it isn't necessary...

...as I am testing the new Apogee LP (low profile for 1U and space constrained applications)
    Yes please. Any more data due out on that?

Admin
    Apogee LP sounds like something I have the tools to review, however

Unfortunately the XT is incompatible with my board (though I'll try again), so unless there is an XZ, ZT, XTX, or XT2 looming, that might be your best product on my Roundup #3 database.

Previous LP products have been respins of GPU parts, will be interstig if the trend holds up

Xtreme Member
    Ok this questions might get a bit messy.

When you talk about dual loops, are they setup completely separate with separate reservoirs?

Is the performance benefit from a single loop that all the radiators are cooling the one liquid source?

What would be the effect of having a shared reservoir and two loops like the original XSPC dual DDC bayres:

Just trying to work out whether to dump this bayres and use something else, or even if I need both pumps.
    | Completed: Project "Simples" | Custom TJ07 | P67A-UD3 | 2600K | GTX460 | MCR320+MCR220 | DDC 18W+XSPC Res |
    | In progress: Project "Weebeastie" | A70B | P6T7 WS | i7-970 | 4xGTX470 | PA120.3+RX240+TFC120 | XSPC Dual-Pump-BayRes |
    | In progress: Project "Gemini" | PC-P80B | EVGA SR-2 | 2xX5650 | 7100GS | PA140.3 | EK DCP-4.0 |

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    Appreciate the offer but I'm not equipped to do rad or pump testing so I have to decline

I was going to get one for my desktop and swap out the IFX-14 I have now. Figure I get better temps and a decrease in noise (since I'll just be using the intake fans at the top of my case at the same settings and removing a 5v San Ace from the middle of the IFX-14) and finally put to work one of the retired blocks I have here
    Bump...haven't seen the new horizontal MCR-Drives anywhere in retail yet, any updates on availability? I now have a use for two of the MCR220 versions but can't find them

Also a bump for a great thread

Xtreme Member
    I second making this thread a sticky as it has a lot of great data and information

Intel Core i7-2600K---> Koolance 370
    3 X EVGA 480 GTX SC's Watercooled--> Koolance VID-NX480 blocks, HWLabs GTX 480, Liang D5 Vario
    Koolance RP-45X2 Reservoir
    Corsair Obsidian 800D
    Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 MB
    SILVERSTONE ST1500 1500W PSU
    16G CORSAIR DOMINATOR-GT (4 x 4GB) PC3 12800
    2 X Kingston HyperX SH100S3B/120G SATA 3 in RAID 0
    1 X WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Dell 3007 WFP-HC
    Z-5500's
    Windows 7 64bit

Xtreme Enthusiast
    im waiting for my new ek x2 res now to make a one loop with 2 res as my second pump gets a bit of air as it is connected to one of the vga cards and for some reason every couple of minutes it makes an air bubles sound. My thinking is that once the second pump gets water from a res the air sounds will stop.

Any thoughts on this ?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by hlonipha; 08-22-2010 at 12:38 PM.
    Asus RIVE Bios 2003
    3930k 4.5 ghz @1.29v
    G-SKILLS 32gig ddr-1600 ripjaws Z
    Enermax Evo Galaxy 1250W
    2x EVGA GTX 480 Superclocked SLI @ 900/1800/2000
    X-Fi Fatal1ty Titanium PCI-E
    4 x crucial Realssd C300 256 Raid 0
    Areca 1880i
    Seagate 1TB
    CM HAF 932
    On water:
    HK 3.0
    2x MCP655
    FESER X360
    Blackice GTX 480
    DD-GTX 480 VGA blocks
    DD Reservoir
    Windows 7 64bit

Dell 3008WFP 30"

Help Save Lives Join World Community Grid!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by zigzag View Post
    Are you using one pump at the moment ?

I was using one mcp655 until friday and my temps were somewhat ok. I connected a second pump and my temps at full load went down about 9c-10c for each(cpu,
    480 (1) and 480 (2).

I was amazed at how great flow affect temps. diagram above for once I get new res.
    Asus RIVE Bios 2003
    3930k 4.5 ghz @1.29v
    G-SKILLS 32gig ddr-1600 ripjaws Z
    Enermax Evo Galaxy 1250W
    2x EVGA GTX 480 Superclocked SLI @ 900/1800/2000
    X-Fi Fatal1ty Titanium PCI-E
    4 x crucial Realssd C300 256 Raid 0
    Areca 1880i
    Seagate 1TB
    CM HAF 932
    On water:
    HK 3.0
    2x MCP655
    FESER X360
    Blackice GTX 480
    DD-GTX 480 VGA blocks
    DD Reservoir
    Windows 7 64bit

Dell 3008WFP 30"

Help Save Lives Join World Community Grid!

Xtreme Guru
    sticky this, ive answered so many threads regarding this issue!

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Thanks! This is great info!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [HK3.0/Koolance x58/EK 280GTX/MCP355/Enermax Apollish/Swiftech MCP360/Bitspower]

very informative thread!

thx for the data!

After reading I'm still unsure what to do with my setup I'm still getting everything together for the build but here is the meat of It.

Sr2 mobo with chipset water block Mips, 2 Xeon 5680 CPU's, Dominator Corsair 1600 x 12 gig, 4 x NVIDIA 580's. Everything listed will be water cooled this is my first water cooled build so any help given will be appreciated. With everything listed I have a hard time thinking one loop will be enough.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biffa View Post
    Ok this questions might get a bit messy.

When you talk about dual loops, are they setup completely separate with separate reservoirs?

Is the performance benefit from a single loop that all the radiators are cooling the one liquid source?

What would be the effect of having a shared reservoir and two loops like the original XSPC dual DDC bayres:
    <snip>

Just trying to work out whether to dump this bayres and use something else, or even if I need both pumps.
    I thought I had designed a really clever dual loop setup with that bayres, one loop going through the blocks then back to the res, and the other pump going through the radiators. Then I realized that it was really just the addition of a pump/(shared) reservoir in the middle of a single loop.
    Helped me to think of it like this: shared res>pump>blocks>shared res>pump>rads. Cut out the second pump and only run through the res once, and it becomes just like any other single loop.

I imagine it would perform just like a regular single loop, although I'm not sure if you'd harness the extra pressure normally gained from serializing pumps, due to the reservoir in between them.
    Water
    Air

WC: EK Supreme HF | EK FC-6970 | 2x DDC 3.25 | EK DDC Dual V2 | EK Res X2 250 | TFC X-Changer 480

After thinking about this a single loop can be as efficient as any dual loop it just comes down to the number of rads plus flow and the single loop is as efficient as a dual loop just my thoughts .

Xtreme Enthusiast
    thank you Gabe for putting numbers on a topic hotly debated for years.

I think that this confirms my initial impression: It is more important to properly size your radiator size versus the heat load of the loop than to try to optimize things with more tubing and more pumps and clever placement of components. As for the additional redundancy of having 2 pumps in the same loop, is this the kind of rhetoric we'll be expecting from pump vendors from now on? "Our products are awesome! Except when they fail, in which case you should buy 2 to be super safe!" I've been reading more and more about people giving advice in that direction. Seems like a waste of money to me these days.

Personally, I'm going by this rule of thumb: if you have 1 cpu and 1 gpu (and even a mobo block), go for 1 loop. If you have an SLI setup and you plan to overclock your equipment more than 10-15%, go for 2 loops. My recommendation is based not only on pure performance numbers but also on the added hassle of having to drain twice as much equipment when you want to replace a single component. I personally imitate intel's tick-tock strategy (my cpu/mobo is tick, gpu is tock) so not having to drain half my loop is a real time saver

Thanks again for the nice spreadsheets

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGJOHNH24 View Post
    After reading I'm still unsure what to do with my setup I'm still getting everything together for the build but here is the meat of It.

Sr2 mobo with chipset water block Mips, 2 Xeon 5680 CPU's, Dominator Corsair 1600 x 12 gig, 4 x NVIDIA 580's. Everything listed will be water cooled this is my first water cooled build so any help given will be appreciated. With everything listed I have a hard time thinking one loop will be enough.
    One loop is always enough, that is if you have enough pumping power to push through the whole loop.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Could someon on switftech rehost the pics : ) ? Gabe ?

Mr Swiftech
    still here :-) can't always respond quickly though.
    CEO Swiftech

barfastic
    Im quite pleased with my setup. i got a dual loop + single shared res.

Both loops begin like this Res-> Pumps -> 120.3 SR1 Each loop has a 120.3 right after the pump, and then on the first loop it goes to CPU and back to res. and the other loop goes Mobo/Ram/GPU and then back to Res.
    I am now in the process of upgrading, and i am contemplating of whether i should switch to a single loop...

If i was to go to a single loop. The order would be Res-> 2x Laing 18w + Dual EK Top -> 120.3 SR1 -> CPU -> GPU -> Ram -> Mobo -> 120.3 SR1 -> Res.
    Do you think i should do this? or should i stay dual loop with shared res?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast