Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seagate Breaks Capacity Ceiling With World's First 3 Terabyte External Desktop Drive

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by -Boris- View Post
    Or you can just use one of these.

http://selectedcomputers.co.uk/image...bhddockaxp.jpg

If you have a pile of 2.5" and 3.5" drives lying around it's superior.

+1
    I have one of these that uses Esata and it rocks.
    I'm adding the pic to the post for those who are click link impaired
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	usbhddockaxp.jpg 
Views:	532 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	105833  

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    Does my iSCSI storage count as external storage? If so then it rocks

More on point without any dimensions I'd wager this is a 3TB drive as they'd otherwise have to use RAID0 on an external which is.. suicide.

yes it counts... everything that isnt internal storage is in the external category ... btw id like to see pics of that setup if you dont mind
    WILL CUDDLE FOR FOOD

Quote Originally Posted by JF-AMD View Post
    Dual proc client systems are like sex in high school. Everyone talks about it but nobody is really doing it.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Beast View Post
    The price is kinda high but it's good to see new HDD tech
    $250 isn't too bad, considering a 2tb WD drive was $300 when it came out.

Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    More on point without any dimensions I'd wager this is a 3TB drive as they'd otherwise have to use RAID0 on an external which is.. suicide.
    i hope this is a real single physical 3tb drive rather than two drives in an array. i don't think RAID0 is the only array that adds up the capacity, i think JBOD also lets you combine the capacities. there was on external enclosure i was thinking about getting that lets you do JBOD on two drives, so if this is two drives, i think they implemented that on here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think it's expensive. I can get a Samsung F3EG for $110 and a nice all aluminum enclosure with eSata, USB and firewire for $40. So $150 for a 2Tb external HDD is a lot better than $250 for a 3Tb HDD

Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    I usually just look to find what is fairly cheap, since the price range is pretty wide.

This is the one I have right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-EC-EST.../dp/B000I6JQH4
    I've been using these for a while, very nice enclosures, even nice enough to mod

http://www.amazon.com/Macally-G-S350...7890779&sr=1-1
    Last edited by The_Beast; 06-30-2010 at 01:44 AM.

Hopefully everyone else follows suit.
    Intel Q6600 | Abit IP35 Pro | Crucial Ballistix 8500 | Corsair 620HX | Samsung SH-S203B | Seagate 400GB | PNY 8800GT 512MB | Samsung 22" 225BW

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomferrari View Post
    how many platters is this thing? is it more than 4? i personally dont trust hdd with more than 4 platters
    I have a 10 year old 10 platter full height drive in my computer right now - and you're complaining about 4?
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by safan80 View Post
    +1
    I have one of these that uses Esata and it rocks.
    I'm adding the pic to the post for those who are click link impaired
    I have one right here, too. It's great!
    Main Rig: Phenom II X6 1055T 95W @3562 (285x12.5) MHz, Corsair XMS2 DDR2 (2x2GB), Gigabyte HD7970 OC (1000 MHz) 3GB, ASUS M3A78-EM,
    Corsair F60 60 GB SSD + various HDDs, Corsair HX650 (3.3V/20A, 5V/20A, 12V/54A), Antec P180 Mini

Notebook: HP ProBook 6465b w/ A6-3410MX and 8GB DDR3 1600

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by onethreehill View Post
    Here
    FreeAgent® GoFlex™ Upgrade Cable — Powered eSATA
    http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/accessories
    If you mean the "STAE103" then it'e seems like it's made for two other types.
    "Works with: GoFlex and GoFlex Pro ultra-portable drives"
    The 3 TB you posted is a GoFlex Desk, and they look pretty different too. But I'm pretty sure an eSATA will show up for this one as well.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Lead Head View Post
    I have a 10 year old 10 platter full height drive in my computer right now - and you're complaining about 4?
    What about the old Seagate ST4096? Full height 5.25" drive. I think it weighed more than my current computer but provided a massive 80MB of storage.
    While I work for AMD, my posts are my own opinions.

http://blogs.amd.com/work/author/jfruehe/

Xtreme Addict
    i was so excited until i saw "external"
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ripken204 View Post
    i was so excited until i saw "external"
    If the capacity and price meet your needs, just pop the case open. They are just SATA drives on the inside. It would potentially impact the warranty however.
    While I work for AMD, my posts are my own opinions.

http://blogs.amd.com/work/author/jfruehe/

Xtreme Mentor
    The World's First 3TB HDD: Seagate GoFlex Desk 3TB Review
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/3858/t...esk-3tb-review

Xtreme Enthusiast
    5 600GB platters.

Quote from the review:

Hard drives aren’t fond of very high temperatures, it tends to reduce their lifespan. But in this case, the temperatures got high enough that performance went down as well. Over a USB 3.0 connection you can get > 130MB/s write speed to the drive in the 3TB GoFlex Desk. Once the drive temperature hit the mid-60s, sequential write speed dropped to ~50MB/s. The drop in write speed has to do with the increased number of errors while operating at high temperatures.
    WTF.... once the hard drive gets warm the writing speeds are dropped in half, thats not acceptable.

Anyways... I prefer to see an internal 3TB instead, and not from Seagate, had nothing but trouble with them.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrono Detector View Post
    Quote from the review:

WTF.... once the hard drive gets warm the writing speeds are dropped in half, thats not acceptable.

Anyways... I prefer to see an internal 3TB instead, and not from Seagate, had nothing but trouble with them.
    do I read ur sig correctly? u have TWENTY dvd drives??
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiro_uspsss View Post
    do I read ur sig correctly? u have TWENTY dvd drives??
    I think he meant to put an "X" after the 20. As in 20 times write speed. Not 20 drives. That would be a bit.... excessive... and one ugly case.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageSys View Post
    I think he meant to put an "X" after the 20. As in 20 times write speed. Not 20 drives. That would be a bit.... excessive... and one ugly case.
    care to place a bet?
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiro_uspsss View Post
    care to place a bet?
    I do not think so. Judging by his 12gb of ram, he has a fancy for the excess. I only bet on a sure thing. :P

Nerdy Powerlifter
    I said I"d never buy a 4 platter drive and recently got a 2TB 4 platter drive. 6 is another beast. 12 heads to crash, only the probability there.

I wonder how the survival rate of these drives will pan out.

I think I'll wait for the first 750gb platers to hit the market before considering another move up.
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Member
    I'd say price is kinda low... Don't new high-capacity drives usually come out at 300$? This one's enclosed, too.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrono Detector View Post
    Quote from the review:

How is a max temperature of 69°C in any way just "warm"? That's completely unacceptable in my book. I really wonder what the longevity of the drive will be at those temperatures... I call fail, because seagate couldn't/didn't bother to even design an enclosure that won't overheat the drive. Otherwise it's a nice bump in capacity and speed (it's a 7200RPM drive, after all), but this heat issue is enough to put me off.

Xtreme Addict
    they should have made it 5400RPM then, it would decrease heat and increase longevity.
    who really needs 7200RPM for a storage drive anyways?
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageSys View Post
    I do not think so. Judging by his 12gb of ram, he has a fancy for the excess. I only bet on a sure thing. :P
    You know, nothing exceeds like excess...

As for this drive, I'm unimpressed...I still remember the Barracuda fiasco of a few years ago. The fact that the drive runs very hot in the supplied external enclosure suggests that Seagate hasn't learned their lessons yet.
    Server: HP Proliant ML370 G6, 2x Xeon X5690, 144GB ECC Registered, 8x OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPS 240GB on LSi 9265-8i (RAID 0), 12x Seagate Constellation ES.2 3TB SAS on LSi 9280-24i4e (RAID 6) and dual 1200W redundant power supplies.
    Gamer: Intel Core i7 6950X@4.2GHz, Rampage Edition 10, 128GB (8x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum 2800MHz, 2x NVidia Titan X (Pascal), Corsair H110i, Vengeance C70 w/Corsair AX1500i, Intel P3700 2TB (boot), Samsung SM961 1TB (Games), 2x Samsung PM1725 6.4TB (11.64TB usable) Windows Software RAID 0 (local storage).
    Beater: Xeon E5-1680 V3, NCase M1, ASRock X99-iTX/ac, 2x32GB Crucial 2400MHz RDIMMs, eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), Samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Corsair SF600, Asetek 92mm AIO water cooler.
    Server/workstation: 2x Xeon E5-2687W V2, Asus Z9PE-D8, 256GB 1866MHz Samsung LRDIMMs (8x32GB), eVGA Titan X (Maxwell), 2x Intel S3610 1.6TB SSD, Corsair AX1500i, Chenbro SR10769, Intel P3700 2TB.

Thanks for the help (or lack thereof) in resolving my P3700 issue, FUGGER...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12