Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soon At Tom's Hardware: Full-Scale Power Supply Testing

Xtreme Mentor

Soon At Tom's Hardware: Full-Scale Power Supply Testing

Often overlooked, the power supply unit (PSU) plays a crucial role in supplying the PC with stable and sufficient power. Whether you only need a 300W PSU for a modest small form factor box or a 1,200W model for a gaming juggernaut, the quality of your power supply will not only affect the system's performance, but also its longevity.

Bad power can mean early failures...and there are plenty of bad PSUs out there waiting for the unwary. This is why we felt it necessary to start testing PSUs in order for our readers to make better component decisions.

Test equipment plays an important role when evaluating power supplies though, which is why it's such a difficult job to do properly. Only with the help of highly precise measurement instruments can we document the differences between comparable models in an objective and reproducible way. Tom's Hardware performs all of these tests in professional labs, just like the ones found in PSU manufacturing facilities, where we get access to equipment from Chroma. For those new to this space, Chroma is the de facto vendor of PSU testing equipment.

When testing, we measure the following details:

* Standby power consumption at 230V
    * Inrush current at 115V and 230V
    * Energy efficiency at 20, 50, and 100% of the stated maximum sustained load at 115V and 230V (according to the 80 PLUS consortium's certification)
    * Energy efficiency at 25W, 50W, 85W, 300W, and 500W of power draw at 115V and 230V
    * Hold Up Time after losing power input at 115V and 230V
    * 12V rail overload test at 110% of the specified maximum sustained load
    * Short circuit test at 115V and 230V
    * Measurement of the temperature difference between intake and exhaust air (maximum delta) at 115V and 230V

In addition to the above mentioned values, Tom's Hardware also takes into account the ergonomics of the PSU and its accessories. This includes features like the the length and design of the cables, cable modularity, and any useful accessories. All important technical data will be presented in a table......
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ment,2657.html

Xtreme Cruncher
    IMO Johnnyguru for PSU tests, the guy wrote 3 pages of a review in rhyme.

Xtreme Addict
    Looks promising in description, but THG has a rather poor history. Hopefully the execution is good.
    i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | GTX Titan | Corsair DDR3-2133

Toms offends my scences.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Will be interesting to see if they can be as entertaining as Johnny Guru.

Quote Originally Posted by Ket View Post
    Toms offends my scences.
    What's a scences? Anglicized plural of sensei?

Xtreme Member
    Does Dr. Tom Pabst still go on insane rants about internet celebrities? That was one of the few things that gave the site any redeeming value.
    i5 750 @ 4.2ghz
    EVGA P55 FTW
    8gig G.Skill Ripjaw @ 1055mhz
    Gigabyte 6950 modded
    Seasonic X-650
    Antec P180 modded and watercooled
    Thermochill PA160
    Apogee XT
    MCP350

Xtreme Guru
    gah! toms hardware is for the uninformed masses. the only thing they have that is any good is the gpu charts.
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Computurd View Post
    gah! toms hardware is for the uninformed masses. the only thing they have that is any good is the gpu charts.
    Whats a better site then?
    HAF922 (3 fan upgraded) 700w ModXtreme
    MSI GD-65 // HIS 5850 // Saitek Esclipse
    Core i5 750 @ 3.32Ghz (OC Genie) Megahalem w/ 1200rpm Scythe Slipstream
    G. Skill RipJaws DDR3 2000 4x2 gig
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB // 5:1 Dell Surround
    24inch Samsung ToC // MX518

Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    Will be interesting to see if they can be as entertaining as Johnny Guru.

What's a scences? Anglicized plural of sensei?
    Typo, Senses See? Toms offended them so much I had a brainfart

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Guru
    well imo:
    TweakTown, Bit-Tech, Daily Tech, Anandtech, Hexus.net, (Johnnyguru of course)
    but...the best of all is this here news section! others filter out the crap for us
    Last edited by Computurd; 06-22-2010 at 10:25 AM.
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

Devil kept pokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Computurd View Post
    well imo:
    ...the best of all is this here news section! others filter out the crap for us

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Klarko View Post
    Whats a better site then?
    For PSUs? JonnyGuru and pcper, in that order.
    The XS Folding@Home team needs your help! Join us and help fight diseases with your CPU and GPU!!

hardware secrets is equally as good as jhonnyguru too

"Prowler"

Cooling:

Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Xtreme Member
    Nice, but the results are predictable. Seasonic and Enermax will dominate utterly.

Xtreme Addict
    I'm still thinking JohnnyGuru. That man blows up bad power supplies for a living. It's gotta be a good PSU to survive a JohnnyGuru review.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Tmīs Hardware reviews are always bribed, so no point in even checking that out.

http://mato78.com - Finnish PC Hardware news & reviews
    BulldogPO @ Twitter

Xtreme Addict
    tom's hardware is still around? wow...

and why a max power draw of 500 watts? too scared to see if that 1kwatt psu can really deliver?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaivan View Post
    IMO Johnnyguru for PSU tests, the guy wrote 3 pages of a review in rhyme.
    Linky?

Xtreme Addict
    There's been a few, if I'm not mistaken. Here's the most recent one.
    i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | GTX Titan | Corsair DDR3-2133

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Tom's? PSU testing?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Toms

Xtreme Addict
    Funny because Johnny doesn't even do the PSU reviews on his own site anymore because he's contractually not allowed to since he works for BFG(if i'm correct). But I must admit, some of his PSU reviews were the bomb.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Xtreme CCIE
    I had high hopes but that article did not deliver.

Where is the voltage stability testing on dynamic loads? Maximum energy efficiency test is 500w?? Input spike measurements but no input voltage sag measurements???

Better luck next year Tom.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme Addict
    No ripple measurement = FAIL.

No ripple measurement = FAIL.
    Im pretty sure the O-scope does that....

Whats with all the THG hating? I've heard rumors they give favorable review for certain manufactures but I've been going to toms since I got into this hobby like 10 years ago. They have gone downhill imo, but they have some nice articles like the system builders marathon, as well as the all the charts they put up. Does anyone have proof that THG takes bribes? either way I take all reviews with a grain of salt, but I've always liked THG's tests.

This PSU test system they have here seems to be top notch. They have all the bases covered it would seem, Stable AC source that can be adjusted from 100-250VAC as well as adjustable frequency? I don't know of anyone else that does that. The DC loads, meters, temp probes, and the scope are all top notch lab stuff. I don't think any other review site has a setup like this other than maybe johnnyguru. Only thing they didn't have was sound measurement.

The test procedure seems pretty thorough too, I like the 110% load and short circuit tests.

I expect this to be another good series of articles to come from THG.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast