View Poll Results: Should I get iPhone 4 (unlocked)?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 37.08%
  • No

56 62.92%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I get iPhone 4 (unlocked)?

Xtreme Enthusiast

Should I get iPhone 4 (unlocked)?

Just saw the news that iPhone 4 (unlocked) is accepting pre-orders now in the UK, at £500. Because I pretty much hate locked phones and never trust 3rd party firmware, and I failed to get iPhone 3Gs (unlocked) from Hong Kong / France, I purchased Nexus One. Now I feel itchy to buy iPhone 4. Should I get one?

Xtreme Member
    I'm sure that there are going to be a lot of "no" votes because of the Apple haters around here, but everyone has different needs, and the best thing to do would be to go try it in the store and see if you like it.

I hate OS X with a passion, but I love my iPhone and once you jailbreak it, it really gives you a lot of freedom to do what you want with the phone. In the beginning, I didn't really love my 3GS, and I had considered switching to Android, but once I jail broke my phone I was amazed at how much you could do with the platform, and I am impatiently waiting to order a White 4.
    Regards,
    Chris

Core i7 920 3931A318 4.4GHz 1.375vcore | EVGA X58 Classified E760 | EVGA GTX470 1280MB | Corsair Dominator GT 7-8-7-20 1688MHz | Heatkiller 3.0 CU and Feser xChanger 480 | Seasonic M12 (Soon to be replaced)

if u want a smart phone stay with the nexus one, if u want to be locked down on a feature phone that calls its self a smart phone then go for a iphone.

the iphone will not open non apple approved files and will not have flash and i would bet will not have html 5 applet support more than just playing videos so u will miss out on online content and android has the same kinds of apps as the iphone gets it just has been out as long so the number of apps isnt huge, teh iphone wont properly synk with an enterprise email system just with pop and u have to install things like itunes and its accompanying malware (like bonjour). the iphone4 also has a huge flaw with having a glass screen so if u drop your phone the screen is gone. so i would stick with what u have then move to the iphone or whatever next year once the iphone gets fixed from the early adopter problems.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    you know what an iphone is and does. iphone 4 is the same thing witha couple more features and a beautiful display.

nexus one is a sweet phone too.

i'd say pick whichever phone supports your 3g band if you've got a data plan.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    if u want a smart phone stay with the nexus one, if u want to be locked down on a feature phone that calls its self a smart phone then go for a iphone.

the iphone will not open non apple approved files and will not have flash and i would bet will not have html 5 applet support more than just playing videos so u will miss out on online content and android has the same kinds of apps as the iphone gets it just has been out as long so the number of apps isnt huge, teh iphone wont properly synk with an enterprise email system just with pop and u have to install things like itunes and its accompanying malware (like bonjour). the iphone4 also has a huge flaw with having a glass screen so if u drop your phone the screen is gone. so i would stick with what u have then move to the iphone or whatever next year once the iphone gets fixed from the early adopter problems.
    +++1+++
    I didn't know that iPhones were not flash compatable...horrible. On the glass screen issue, to date I have three close friends with iPhones with cracked screens... completely shattered. Crazy thing is that their insurance doesn't cover broken screens, so they are all still walking around with broken screens. They still work though. Thats gotta suck.
    Asus Rampage Extreme x58, T.R.U.E. Copper
    I7920 SLBEJ 21 x 210, 6GB DDR3 Mushkin 1683
    Win7x64, 4870X2 Quad-fire + 240GT PhysX

3dMark06 - 30,048 3dmark Vantage - 32,414

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i thought that the glass screen was new to the 4
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Xtreme Member
    I'm not sure...two of the phones I mentioned are 3g, and the third is a 3gs.

Edit - on second thought, they have to be glass bc they were completely shattered, so I would guess the 3g phones have glass screens as well.
    Last edited by texasreefer; 06-17-2010 at 10:42 AM.
    Asus Rampage Extreme x58, T.R.U.E. Copper
    I7920 SLBEJ 21 x 210, 6GB DDR3 Mushkin 1683
    Win7x64, 4870X2 Quad-fire + 240GT PhysX

3dMark06 - 30,048 3dmark Vantage - 32,414

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Mid UK. Lift a few rocks, eventually you will find me.
    I say go for it, but only if you want my postal address for somewhere to send the Nexus.

Personally I would only buy a smartphone with an OS i could hack, if I couldn't get into host files and IPtables etc. I wouldn't trust the device.

We all have differing needs, the Nexus is pretty cool. I would ask myself do I need functionality from the iPhone that the Nexus doesn't provide. If not, I would ask myself if I just wanted the phone for bragging rights, and if so, is the attention from the type of person that thinks such devices are a good indicator of character and personality worth £500.

I have a Nokia 6170 it's so old it's cool.
    Fun Box: Asus P8Z68-V GEN3++Corsair AX850++i5 2500k@4.5Ghz-1.272v++Corsair A50++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++MSI R7970 Lightning++Audigy2 Plat-EX++TBS 6280 DVB-T2 tuner++256Gb OCZ Vertex 4.500Gb Caviar Black.500Gb Seagate Barracuda++Sony AD7240s++Lian-Li PC-60++Linux Mint/Win 7++Asus P238Q

Work Box: Gigabyte H61MA-DV3++Corsair HX620++i5 3450@stock++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++120Gb OCZ Agility 3++Linux Mint

Quantum theory in a nutshell: It's so small we don't know where it is, it could be here, it could be there.

Just 'cos it's legal don't make it right.

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    The answer to that would be a very STRONG YES!!!!!
    AT&T sucks! they are a very deceitful company that practices only the most horrendous & shady business. I wanted to get a iPhone 3GS 32GB "Unlocked" but what was my current provider at the time "T-Mobile" did not have their 3G Network in place at the the time so $900.00 for a unlocked iPhone that would not function properly without a proper 3G network in place was a stupid investment so I got my iPhone 32GB 3GS & signed up with AT&T & like a month later T-Mobile put their 3G Network in Wilmington NC

So if I could do it over I would have gotten the unlocked iPhone 3GS 32GB BECAUSE ........once u jailbreak u cannot upgrade the O.S Firmware without the eminent possibility of not being able to jailbreak it again

Do I have any regrets gettingt my iPhone other than AT&T???....................F@CK NO! THIS THING IS THE BOMB!!!!
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620
    12GB - Crucial ECC DDR3 1333
    Intel 520 180GB Cherryville
    Areca 1231ML ~ 2~ 250GB Seagate ES.2 ~ Raid 0 ~ 4~ Hitachi 5K3000 2TB ~ Raid 6 ~

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Selling unlocked phones means Apple is no longer confident as before, which means iPhone 4 is threaten by Android. I have a feeling that Apple is no match for Google, so I really doubt if iPhone 4 is a good choice to go. Perhaps waiting for something like 4Gs is a better idea.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    i thought that the glass screen was new to the 4
    All iPhones/Touches have glass screens, the new iPhone has glass on the front and back and they have been making a big deal out of it because it is aluminosilicate glass and supposedly ultra durable.

I intend to get an iPhone 4, but only because I have a £120 Sure earphone/headset that apparently won't work with non Apple products. Otherwise the recent HTC handsets [The Desire and the EVO 4] seem to spank the ass of the iPhone in terms of hardware, really the only thing that makes the iPhone 4 stand out are it's looks and it's VERY slightly superior UI.
    Core i7 920, Gigabyte x58-USB3, Radeon 5850 [CF coming soon], 6GB OCZ Platinum, Corsair 40GB Force, 3x 2TB Spinpoint F4, Silverstone OP1000, Dell XPS Studio Case.

Alienware M11x.

Grab the iPhone. I had the Nexus one, although a great phone. Android is still too new. Apps are horrendous compared to the App store. I've ran cyan mod and Desire Rom. Desire rom is nice, compressed differently and runs smoother. It's fun that you can run ported Roms and bugs are fixed quicker.

Xtreme News
    How can i use an iPhone 4 on T-moble i fits using micro sim card instead of the standard size?

I am Xtreme
    After their antenna issues and crappy glass casing - definitely NO.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Quote Originally Posted by texasreefer View Post
    +++1+++
    I didn't know that iPhones were not flash compatable...horrible. On the glass screen issue, to date I have three close friends with iPhones with cracked screens... completely shattered. Crazy thing is that their insurance doesn't cover broken screens, so they are all still walking around with broken screens. They still work though. Thats gotta suck.
    i looked into the screen and remembered this thread. most people and older apple stuff used gorilla glass, thats made of a polcarb type glass but apple changed to standard lcd glass as it looks better but it also dose not like drops. i know people just say thats stupid to not buy for that dont drop it, but its a phone its bound to fall off a table or have it dropped or something

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper_sung View Post
    Selling unlocked phones means Apple is no longer confident as before, which means iPhone 4 is threaten by Android. I have a feeling that Apple is no match for Google, so I really doubt if iPhone 4 is a good choice to go. Perhaps waiting for something like 4Gs is a better idea.
    really..? they offer it in france.. where it is illegal to have locked phones... UK where well every major carrier has it now apart from virgin... and then canada (which im not sure about as im not bothered lol)

hardly scared of android :/
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

we have it here in Serbia for only 990€
    http://www.telekoplus.com/model.php?...4%2032GB#video

If you like it, just go ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper_sung View Post
    I failed to get iPhone 3Gs (unlocked) from Hong Kong / France, I purchased Nexus One. Now I feel itchy to buy iPhone 4. Should I get one?
    In terms of price, I don't think Hong Kong, France is the only choice, you can check on line, maybe USA, China mainland, Japan, they can all be in your consideration.

Xtreme Mentor
    HTC Legend. Now that's a hot phone.

For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

Team China
    lol!you should get it!
    i love apple,i love iphone

I am Xtreme
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Williambra View Post
    If you like it, just go ahead.
    In terms of price, I don't think Hong Kong, France is the only choice, you can check on line, maybe USA, China mainland, Japan, they can all be in your consideration.
    For the age of 3Gs, Hong Kong and France were the only practical places where I could get UNLOCKED SIMFREE iPhone without jailbreaking. China mainland is not an option because I don't regard "wifi castrated phones" as any useful.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I voted yes, because if you ask a question like this you deserve to be a sucker.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
    HTC Legend. Now that's a hot phone.
    Haha I picked this same phone for my misses, unfortunately she wants to giv it to me because she wants a iphone lol

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny87au View Post
    Haha I picked this same phone for my misses, unfortunately she wants to giv it to me because she wants a iphone lol
    Are you serious? The HTC Legend is brilliant.

For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast