Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: Catalyst 10.6 released

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Ket View Post
    Really? Wow... back in the day ATi even touted their award winning software on every box of every card.
    I don't know how accurate that award or box advertising is. All I can recount is my anecdotal experience. Just about every tech I talked to about it during that era disliked the ATI drivers. Even though I liked my ATI cards (especially my AIW), the drivers were the reason I stopped buying or recommending their cards, till the 4k series. And the drivers were the reason the computer shop I worked in at the time stopped putting them in new machines or selling them unless the customer insisted. The Nvidia drivers weren't that great either but at least they released betas at such a pace that you could find something that worked nice with the latest game or you didn't have to wait long.

As I said, maybe I was living in an alternate universe. But I disliked the drivers enough to discount otherwise decent hardware. But since the increasing complexity of GPUs has dragged down the quality of drivers from all GPU manufacturers, I can't really justify that as a reason for avoiding any particular brand.

Xtreme Addict
    I just update Catalyst's every month and never had a single issue with any game in like 3-4 years period of using Radeon products.
    Maybe smaller glitches here and there but nothing big. I was still able to play games perfectly. Same for NVIDIA. No special problems. Had 6 GeForce cards before and now running a 5th Radeon card.
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567