Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First full month of crunching power bill!!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by pirogue View Post
    Quite a few states also have incentives, like tax credits or rebates.
    There's a really good site that has a clickable map where you can see what your state offers at http://www.dsireusa.org/.
    I think my state actually has a tax credit for burning wood?! but no solar credit.

EDIT: No lie! click AL - Wood-Burning Heating System Deduction
    Last edited by meanmoe; 06-16-2010 at 06:08 PM.
    upgrading...

Devil kept pokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    haha my power bill is bout 55$ right now a month
    Multiply your RAC by 3 and apply the same to your current bill and your at $165 a month for the roughly my output on WCG

Quote Originally Posted by meanmoe View Post
    I think my state actually has a tax credit for burning wood?! but no solar credit.

EDIT: No lie! click AL - Wood-Burning Heating System Deduction
    I wonder if that's for pellet stoves??

As for solar, some utilities also have special programs. Even though the state of Alabama doesn't have a credit, TVA has a program where they buy the output for the retail rate + 12 cents/kWh plus a $1000 upfront incentive. If I'm interpreting correctly, if you had a system that generated 1000 kWh/month, you'd basically get 1000 kWh free + $120/month. If you use 1500 kWh/month, as long as the retail rate is less than 24 cent/kWh, you're electric bill would be zero.

It looks like Huntsville is in a covered area.

http://www.dsireusa.org/incentives/i...L03F&re=1&ee=1
    http://www.energyrightpartners.com/availability.htm

Xtreme Cruncher
    Looks like something to look at again then. I entertained it about ~4 years ago when we moved here but it was not economical even with subsidies. Also, IIRC, there were some stipulations to the TVA deal.

Actually, it's funny (in a masochistic way), I keep planning things, but I believe that the program I work for is dead. So I may be some place else next month.

In the next place, I would like solar, and geothermal cooling for my pcs - the machines are pricey, but the 90F environment is not bearable (Movieman, I don't know how you do 1500W). There's a thread around here somewhere were someone did a geothermal chiller in an out building. (Bong chiller too)

Also, I read something about an emerging technology called 'power film' I think that should come out sometime in the near future. It has promised to make solar super affordable for everyone.
    upgrading...

Nanoseconds from Permaban
    This idea is ingenious: Chin Hua solar glass generates electricity, lets (most of) the sun shine in

Replace all of your windows with these, most people keep there curtains drawn anyways...no need to see pink tutus dancin' about....

Xtreme Cruncher
    now thats innovative
    upgrading...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Plan.B View Post
    In a somewhat OCD fashion, I unplug everything when done using it, and plug in when ready for use.
    In New Zealand, most wall outlets have switches on them, which saves the whole plug/unplug hassle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	socket-switch.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	105551

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Quote Originally Posted by AceNZ View Post
    In New Zealand, most wall outlets have switches on them, which saves the whole plug/unplug hassle.

Don't confuse the poor Americans, it's not nice.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AceNZ View Post

Quote Originally Posted by D_A View Post
    Don't confuse the poor Americans, it's not nice.
    why dont we have these..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i have 2 GTX260 one GTX280 and a GTX285 running which tips my bill to just over $200.
    all time peak was around $250
    not sure about other states but CA also charges you higher prices if you go over your estimate amount. they call over baseline charge

Devil kept pokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by bot@xs View Post
    i have 2 GTX260 one GTX280 and a GTX285 running which tips my bill to just over $200.
    all time peak was around $250
    not sure about other states but CA also charges you higher prices if you go over your estimate amount. they call over baseline charge
    Talk about the man trying to keep you down

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i still feel the boot in my neck .. everytime

Quote Originally Posted by meanmoe View Post
    In the next place, I would like solar, and geothermal cooling for my pcs - the machines are pricey, but the 90F environment is not bearable (Movieman, I don't know how you do 1500W). There's a thread around here somewhere were someone did a geothermal chiller in an out building. (Bong chiller too)
    I've been dreaming of a geothermal HVAC system for years. Unfortunately, we can't seem to stay in the same house long enough.

There is a guy on the WCG forums that described how he hooked all of his CPU/GPU water cooling up into a loop with a heat exchanger on his water heater. He says it takes care of pretty much all of his water heating needs. Very interesting.

Back from the Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by retro77 View Post
    This idea is ingenious: Chin Hua solar glass generates electricity, lets (most of) the sun shine in

Replace all of your windows with these, most people keep there curtains drawn anyways...no need to see pink tutus dancin' about....
    I just read an article about that yesterday.. apparently a German named Grätzel discovered that you can generate solar power by simply imitating nature, and build very cheap solar cells without the need for silicium that could also be made transparent (ie, they can be integrated into windows).
    This is called the "Grätzel Cell", and he actually had it patented in 1992.

Of course, the Chinese never care about patents, see the TransRapid (high speed magnetic train)

Read all about that here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dye-sensitized_solar_cell
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Xtreme crazy bastid
    The current patent system really is a mangy dog, though. Very few are checked properly, with patents being issued for things that have been around for, in some cases, 20+ years. I remember reading about a project that was going to open up the patent process, recruiting ordinary people to search for "prior art" which would invalidate the patent before it was granted and save millions on court expenses when rubbish patents have to be challenged later.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123