Thread: Could a non 240hz 3D certified, could do 3D still?

Xtreme Addict

Could a non 240hz 3D certified, could do 3D still?

Since 3D on pc only requires 120hz, could a TV that have 240hz could do it still? even if is not "3D certified" like the new samsung 7s & 8s for example?
    ░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█▀▀ ░░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█ ░░░
    ░█▀▀ ░█▀▀ ░█ ░█ ░░░░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█ ░░░
    ░▀▀▀ ░▀ ░░░▀ ░▀▀▀ ░░▀ ░░░▀░▀ ░▀ ░▀▀▀ ░

Xtreme Member
    There is no 240hz TVs ! its marketing , PC monitors with 120HZ are the real deal and required dual dvi, all other crap you see advertised for TVs is marketing BS, all TVs will be 60hz max plus some pixy magic , doesn't mean they actually have real input and output of 120hz let alone 240hz (FPS).

They are nicer to watch fast paced sports ect , but thats about it.
    Last edited by -=DVS=-; 06-12-2010 at 07:28 AM.
    .:. Obsidian 750D .:. i7 5960X .:. EVGA Titan .:. G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR4 32GB .:. CORSAIR HX850i .:. Asus X99-DELUXE .:. Crucial M4 SSD 512GB .:.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by -=DVS=- View Post
    There is no 240hz TVs ! its marketing , PC monitors with 120HZ are the real deal and required dual dvi, all other crap you see advertised for TVs is marketing BS, all TVs will be 60hz max plus some pixy magic , doesn't mean they actually have real input and output of 120hz let alone 240hz (FPS).

They are nicer to watch fast paced sports ect , but thats about it.
    I know is not a "real" 240hz, whats the difference between a 240hz non 3d vs a 240hz 3d? could the non 3d version could run 3d still?

240hz non 3D will only accept 24/60hz input the HD ready will accept 120hz input. 3d ready tvs also have the blue tooth system built in so they work directly with the glasses. if u have a device that can sync with the glasses then u just need 120hz input like an NV 3d vision ready monitor or a mitsu dlp tv (there is a list of everything common that will do it on NV's site)
    Last edited by zanzabar; 06-12-2010 at 10:29 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    240hz non HD will only accept 24/60hz input the HD ready will accept 120hz input. 3d ready tvs also have the blue tooth system built in so they work directly with the glasses. if u have a device that can sync with the glasses then u just need 120hz input like an NV 3d vision ready monitor or a mitsu dlp tv (there is a list of everything common that will do it on NV's site)
    So in other words those TV's have real 120hz? Thanks for the clarification!

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    So in other words those TV's have real 120hz? Thanks for the clarification!
    yes
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Xtreme Enthusiast
    We went through this before on another thread where I'd said there are no true 120Hz LCD TVs that are 3D capable. Zan came back saying Panny and Samsung have some. I found Samsung does have a 46" 120Hz LED LCD TV at around $1300 street price, but the Panny 3Ds are only available in plasma. So it was a disappointing find for me because Samsungs have around 3 frames of input lag, not acceptable for the type of gaming I do. I don't think I like the idea of spending $1300 on a TV anyway.

c[_]
    ................... not all 240hz tv's support 120hz true input, zanzabar. In fact there's still only about 5 on the market that are true 120hz.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    ................... not all 240hz tv's support 120hz true input, zanzabar. In fact there's still only about 5 on the market that are true 120hz.
    didnt think that i said anything to the contrary, i did make a typo by putting hd instead of 3d but the context sould have made it clear what the intention was. and i think that there will be alot more in the end of the summer once there is content. it would also be nice if they made the glasses standard.

on an off topic note, with things like the mitsu dlp that u 2 alternating projection systems can they make them cross polarized so u just need some dolby/imax glasses

Xtreme Member
    So, the current 3d tv's run a true 120hz reguardless of what the other hz number is? And why do people not loike plasma's, seems to me like their price has come way down and they run 600hz or so (don't know it that is the same as lcd) and they have very little lag input. I'm looking to get a new tv, as my 52" 120hz toshiba regza is having problems. So, only Samsung (LED-LCD) and Panasonic (plasma) do true 120hz 3d (and can they do that hooked up to my comp, the 120hz)?

yes a 3d tv can be hooked up yo your computer over hdmi (some have dsub but i dont think that will do 120hz).

people dont like plasmas as they use more energy, have more depth, and they are less profitable so companies/stores other than panasic dont push them, they also had burn in problems back when they came out but that is fixed now. plasmas have better image quality, better color representation and quicker response times so they are better for everything but power consumption. if u are looking at a new 50"+ i would go for a mitsu dlp

Xtreme Enthusiast
    From what I've read the burn in problems haven't been completely fixed on the latter model plasmas, it depends how you use them. I've also looked at a lot of plasmas in store and I find a lot of them still exhibit not as good of colors as some LCDs. They also can't be had in smaller sizes like LCD (sub 42"). Another thing about plasmas, something rarely mentioned, is that being as they have a phosphor coating like CRTs, but no way to degauss them, they lose a lot of their brightness as they age from oxidization that builds up.

About the only thing you CAN say good about plasmas over LCDs IMO is they always have wide angle viewing without color shifting and don't have issues with motion blur like many LCDs. However, with the advent of IPS LCD panels, 3rd and 4th gen motion processing, and low response times, even those factors don't really weigh in favor of plasma anymore, depending on what LCDs you compare them to. There's a reason plasma prices have fallen, and it's not just over the worry of burn in or the desire for wafer thin panels.
    Last edited by Frag Maniac; 06-14-2010 at 11:32 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Well, I looked and the mitsu 3d, but I can not find anything smaller than 60". I can not go much bigger than the 52" i have, maybe a 55" but i'd have to check its demsions. I'm liking the new plasma's, pansonic and samsung both have 3d ones. Any idea how long they take to cloud up? Well, the warranty people come tomorrow, so I'll find out if I get a new one or if they can fix it.

image burn on the panasonics 09 models takes over 72 hours, so i dont think that u will have a problem