Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Underrated muscle

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Check out the Bonneville Salt Flats this week. Dozens of 53 Studebakers some with blowers sticking up thru the hood. Motorcycles run next week Aug 28 - Sept 2.

Old Iron Rules!

Xtreme Member
    My progression in cars. First car a 68 396 Nova SS 4 speed, then 68 383 Roadrunner followed close by a 69 Cornet R/T with a 440 in it. Then I bought a 64 Dodge that had a big block 318 in it to start with, tossed the boat anchor 318 for a 426 Hemi and over 10 years it morfed into a blown & injected 556 Hemi. Parted ways with the 64 when a doctor offered me way too much money for it at the dream cruise back in 07. Since then I've limited myself to playing in the sand with a 4X4. I used the money from the 64 Dodge to buy a house and shop. I have a 69 440 Dart that needs to be restored, I've started to take it apart but haven't had much time lately to work with it.

Xtreme Addict
    I love the first generation Ford Thunderbird. I used to have a model of one as a kid.

If a car is ugly as hell, the engine doesn't matter to me. I don't give a @%$# how powerful it is, if it looks like someone beat it with an ugly stick

But starting in 1972, those things just got ugly as hell. 9th generation wasn't horrid, but could have looked better. Looked like a typical 80's car imo. 10th was just ugly as hell. It looks like they couldn't make up their minds between a crown vic and the previous design. It looks like an ugly attempt at an American full sized sports sedan.

Few cars will ever be as pretty as the first generation Thunderbird. I really wanted them to redesign the car based on the first generation design... kinda like how they're bringing back the old muscle cars. The 11th generation I think was a crap attempt. Its still as ugly as the 70's cars and the one before it. Almost looks like the ugly mutated offspring of a three way between an ugly french car, the first generation Thunderbird, and a Crossfire.
    Last edited by Judaeus Apella; 08-22-2010 at 02:36 PM.
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Judaeus Apella View Post
    I love the first generation Ford Thunderbird. I used to have a model of one as a kid.

If a car is ugly as hell, the engine doesn't matter to me. I don't give a @%$# how powerful it is, if it looks like someone beat it with an ugly stick

But starting in 1972, those things just got ugly as hell. 9th generation wasn't horrid, but could have looked better. Looked like a typical 80's car imo. 10th was just ugly as hell. It looks like they couldn't make up their minds between a crown vic and the previous design. It looks like an ugly attempt at an American full sized sports sedan.

Few cars will ever be as pretty as the first generation Thunderbird. I really wanted them to redesign the car based on the first generation design... kinda like how they're bringing back the old muscle cars. The 11th generation I think was a crap attempt. Its still as ugly as the 70's cars and the one before it. Almost looks like the ugly mutated offspring of a three way between an ugly french car, the first generation Thunderbird, and a Crossfire.
    Wow, I like the Tenth Generation Ford Thunderbird, its an American BMW 6-series. I think its a great looking car. (with performance to match)

Last edited by RAW-Raptor22; 08-22-2010 at 05:57 PM.
    |-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

2,147,222 F@H Points - My F@H Statistics:
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...e=Conman%5F530

Xtreme Addict
    To me it looks like a vanilla american sedan... with very little character or any redeeming features. The body style is what I'm talking about. Its so bland.... and boring. I'm sure its a great car, but it has to look as good as it drives, for me to love a car. This is just my opinion though. But I will tell you something. The last time someone passed by, showed them a picture of that car and asked them if that was a good looking car, and they said "No... I'd never want a car that looked like that. Its very unattractive." But they too loved the first Thunderbird when I showed them a picture of one, and couldn't believe it went from that to that. I showed them the newest version of that car and they didn't think it was very attractive either.
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

Xtreme Addict
    To me it looks like a vanilla american sedan... with very little character or any redeeming features. The body style is what I'm talking about. Its so bland.... and boring. I'm sure its a great car, but it has to look as good as it drives, for me to love a car. This is just my opinion though. But I will tell you something. The last time someone passed by, showed them a picture of that car and asked them if that was a good looking car, and they said "No... I'd never want a car that looked like that. Its very unattractive." But they too loved the first Thunderbird when I showed them a picture of one, and couldn't believe it went from that to that. I showed them the newest version of that car and they didn't think it was very attractive either.
    Well I guess every man has his own opinion.

Im on a Forum with 17,000 members that like it just fine... (http://forums.tccoa.com/)

The styling is basically an updated E24 BMW...

|-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

Xtreme Addict
    That car doesn't look anything like that BMW. Yes they both have a trunk, two doors, 4 wheels, and a hood... but besides that they are completely different.

I think you need glasses...... seriously, if you think those two cars look alike, then you probably shouldn't be driving that Thunderbird at all.

Xtreme Addict
    That car doesn't look anything like that BMW. Yes they both have a trunk, two doors, 4 wheels, and a hood... but besides that they are completely different.

I think you need glasses...... seriously, if you think those two cars look alike, then you probably shouldn't be driving that Thunderbird at all.
    Wow dude, they look nearly alike.

Look at the way the cabin drops down lower than the hood and the trunk lid, and how the trim line drops right below it?

Notice the curve of the C pillar?
    |-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

Xtreme Enthusiast
    60 Tbird and 78 shortened Lincoln
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	60Tbird.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	7.7 KB 
ID:	106938   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	78LincolnHotRod.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	106939  

Xtreme Mentor
    ^ LOL all hood and two seat behind the engine might as well pout the driver over the rear end. lol

the best thing about a 1990 Thunderbird was the low Drag coefficient 0.30 less drag then a veryon, veryon coefficient of drag is 0.40

4.6L was about to get 28 Mpg highway and 18 city.

5 star safety rated resisted rolling on it's roof, and if some how you do mange that it won't collapse on you.
    HAVE NO FEAR!
    "AMD fallen angel"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamekiller View Post
    You didn't get the memo? 1 hour 'Fugger time' is equal to 12 hours of regular time.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by demonkevy666 View Post
    ^ LOL all hood and two seat behind the engine might as well pout the driver over the rear end. lol

the best thing about a 1990 Thunderbird was the low Drag coefficient 0.30 less drag then a veryon, veryon coefficient of drag is 0.40

4.6L was about to get 28 Mpg highway and 18 city.

5 star safety rated resisted rolling on it's roof, and if some how you do mange that it won't collapse on you.
    Exactly. I get 38MPG on the highway with my 1989 V6 Thunderbird. The co-efficient of drag is the same as an LFA and a 370Z, thats pretty good.

I walked away unharmed in a 50MPH front end collision in a Thunderbird, I know exactly what you are talking about.

Or this guy who was t-boned at 60MPH+ and walked away with a broken nose (probably from the airbag, no doubt...):

|-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

Xtreme Addict
    LOL, holy crap... how many engines are in that Lincoln?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    LOL, holy crap... how many engines are in that Lincoln?
    Found on Craigslist, no idea. http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/1912519704.html

Edit: That 60 T-bird has a 300HP 352 Y-block from the factory.
    Last edited by PaganII; 08-23-2010 at 01:48 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by PaganII View Post
    Found on Craigslist, no idea. http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/1912519704.html

Edit: That 60 T-bird has a 300HP 352 Y-block from the factory.
    Its not a Y-Block, its the FE engine family. (331, 352, 360, 361, 390, 410, 427, 428)

(yes the FE engine is technically a Yblock design, but its from a different family of engines)
    |-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You're right. I confused the 352 with the other XX2's --> 272, 292, 312.

Xtreme Member
    The T-Bird was never considered as a Muscle Car. The 64 Fairlane Thunder Bolt would be though.

Xtreme Addict
    You're right. I confused the 352 with the other XX2's --> 272, 292, 312.
    Yup, the actual "Y-block" engine family, good engines too. My dad had a 292 with a 4 speed in a 1960 F-100.

Im the biggest Ford guy in the world so I'm kind of a nut about this stuff...
    |-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RAW-Raptor22 View Post
    Yup, the actual "Y-block" engine family, good engines too. My dad had a 292 with a 4 speed in a 1960 F-100.

Im the biggest Ford guy in the world so I'm kind of a nut about this stuff...
    Well if you have any pull with the Ford family, get them to sell the Lions so we can have a winning team.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner133 View Post
    The T-Bird was never considered as a Muscle Car. The 64 Fairlane Thunder Bolt would be though.
    Ya, buddy of mine had a galaxy with a 427.

69 T-bird with 429

Name:	69Tbird.jpg 
Views:	478 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	106967  

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner133 View Post
    Well if you have any pull with the Ford family, get them to sell the Lions so we can have a winning team.
    Damn dude, I wish...

Ya, buddy of mine had a galaxy with a 427.

69 T-bird with 429
    Them early 429s are awesome, especially the 1970/1971 11:1 compression models.
    |-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This one is not really underrated but it's a real 65 Cobra.

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/1922487237.html

Edit: "Real" is debatable here but "titled as" is more accurate.

Name:	65 Cobra.jpg 
Views:	457 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	107108  
    Last edited by PaganII; 08-27-2010 at 04:01 PM.

"I eat motherboards"
    Holman-Moody '64 Fairlane w/ 427FE... oh wait.
    杰森
    I can picture in my mind a world without hate, a world without violence.
    And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Cool

Not a muscle car, but an underrated sporty car. The 1975 Chevy Vega Cosworth. A marriage between GM's 1970s rear drive subcompact and the 4 cylinder dual cam 16 valve expertise of English engine constructor Cosworth. In 1975 32 out of the 33 starters in the Indy 500 used a Cosworth DFV V8.

The Vega Cosworth never really lived up to expectations because of pollution controls, but an interesting curiosity today.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    One car I am looking at to buy is the Honda Accord 2.4vtec. Basically it does 0-6omph in 8 seconds with 200hp from the engine. Its good for around 140mph in standard tune.
    24/7 PC CoolerMaster CM690 + 7 fans(its HOT as HELL in Shanghai) Intel Xeon E3 1230 3.3-3.7Ghz, 2x8GB DDR3 1600 G-Skill, HD GT630 2GB, Scandisk Pro 256SSD 2x2TB Green, 2x 3TB WD Green Data Drives. HTPC Q8400, EP45 UD3L 4x1GB Gskill6400, 1xWD Black 640GB,2x2TB WD Green, 2xWD 1TB Blue(RAID1), Sapphire 4530 512MB,

Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.

Mitch Ratcliffe, U.S. technology journalist and blogger

Quote Originally Posted by chinaguy View Post
    One car I am looking at to buy is the Honda Accord 2.4vtec. Basically it does 0-6omph in 8 seconds with 200hp from the engine. Its good for around 140mph in standard tune.
    they are more like 140-170HP (they are a little over rated) and they are good for 145mph electronically limited and if u hit a little down hill u can get them to 147 or atleast the 02 can with the 2.3. but they are also one of the worst in their class power wise and the vtec dose nothing affter about 100k miles (the nissan, ford and hyundai are quicker, and if u go to better brands so is the subaru and VW)
    Last edited by zanzabar; 11-03-2010 at 09:18 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast