Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Guess you can cool an i7 with TEC's

Xtreme Member
    I should have an update tonight or tomorrow sometime. Still trying to get all the 2d benches for HWbot done at 5G's. I can run them all at this point save 32M still working on that one Shame really one or two sticks of my CAS 8 Corsair Dom GT's gave up the ghost. I have to use my back up GSKILL Tridents so the timings may be a little weaksauce
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    Nonsense,

There is no spoon.

Xtreme Member
    32M 5G's
    Nonsense,

There is no spoon.

DySfunCtiOnal MeMbEr
    Now thats a nice OC for a 920 without LN.... What's your max temp while running Super PI?
    Windows 7 64 Bit
    BenQ FP241W Black 24" LCD
    Mountain Mod Case w/ Base
    Asus Rampage III Black Edition
    i9-990x @ 4.58GHz - 1.36v Temps (Idle 23C - Load 48C)
    12GB Corsiar Dominator GT (PC3 15000) @ 9-9-9-24 1T - 1.65v
    Sapphire 5870 x3 "OC" w/ EK Water Block Temps (25C-49C)
    EK-Supreme / 4 Alphacool Laing DDC-Pump Ultras + Extras
    Power Supply / 2x Silver Stone DX1000
    Western Digital 1.0TB x 3
    Crosair SSD 128GB x 2

World Community Grid!

Xtreme Member
    Thank you Mal. I am trying to knock off the big tests first as the water temps get saturated after a while. The Gskills aren't playing nice lol and the result is not very efficient. If I can get wprime 32M and 1024m run at that speed I will be very very happy lol. I killed the OS getting that so I need to re-image and then I will have at it again. PI 1m will run at those speeds no problem so I will make sure to at least get the temp reading for that On that run the cores were running in the mid to high 20's max. I would have taken sceens along the way but it took a long time to get that to run so I didn't want it to crash :P
    Last edited by Elloquin; 06-19-2010 at 07:37 AM.
    Nonsense,

There is no spoon.

Xtreme Member
    Wprime 1024m, 32m, and 5G's boot 1024 is a PITA.

Still tweaking efficiency is poor as expected.
    Last edited by Elloquin; 06-19-2010 at 10:32 AM.
    Nonsense,

There is no spoon.

Chasing After Diety
    are you chasing vcore with overclock... or are you just ramping vcore + overclock?

When you get to sub ambient... you want to race voltage with overclock.
    Because of the lower temps, your cpu will be a tad bit more efficient, so you shouldnt need the same voltage to get same overclock at a sub ambient temperature.

The only time u ramp voltage + overclock is when your major major under sub ambient like LN2, where u know your gonna get the best efficiency you can and shoot for the highest overclock.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Cruncher
    ultra:block looks very sharp mate

@OP: nice clockage
    "Study hard my young friend"[/B].
    ---------------------------------------
    Woody: It's not a laser! It's a... [sighs in frustration]

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrasonic2 View Post
    that is all true but nylon or polycarbonate screws aren't strong enough . which is why as far as i know no one uses them. i also tested them and they were a fail
    i took apart a tec cooler once and they used little plastic washers that surrounded the screw in the hole and then a nut on top so there was no metal to metal contact...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by malkiewicz View Post
    I'm sure this design would work.... If you used spacers within the block this would prevent thermal transfer....

I like this.. I think Ultra's hot plates screws,screw in from the bottom of the block though. And a plastic washer would also be needed to help further isolate the heat. So there wouldn't be anymore countersunk flush-mounted hot-plates. But there some pretty flat, flat-headed screws out there.. I think this would help some.. And "Muffy" could still countersink the washer. Wait!! Actually he could still make the screws flush. But that would be quite a bit more work.

Muffy? I like that.. It's cool..

Edit: 4x 240 gtx rads saturated? So I guess I really will need a third and probably a fourth rad.. NP....

Edit2:@Elloquin: Are you still cooling with tec's?
    Last edited by Clay; 03-19-2011 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Wanted to edit
    Still overclocking and water cooling. Old stuff mostly... Still buyin' new stuff for my huge monster case though..(Project on hold til' further notice.or til' I suddenly see a fair increase in income. (Even then the gunshows do tend to grab me!!!) But really no new rig to speak of. Currently C2D E8400 on H2O Giga' p43t W/ decent pair o' ddr3 sticks stuffed in a old aluminium coolermaster preatorian case with a shrouded PA140.3 hangin' out of the side.Needs some bigger fans to keep up with this yuma heat though.. TX850. GTX460.Old yellow 1/2" tygon tubing adds some petina to the dear old thing. (As if it needed any.)Really nuthin' to call home about here at least... LOL..

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i have probably made more changes to the mounting hardware of my blocks than anything else

the block at the beginning of this thread was the second block i made so a few things have changed.

While malkiewicz seems like a good idea it not practical for me because the block would need to be wider to accommodate the sleeves. and a wider block is not desirable when trying to fit to your motherboard. Also the above design would result in condensation forming on the bolt heads as they would be sub dew point

Currently i just reduced the pressure applying bolts which is the obvious way to reduce losses and these bolts dont actually touch the water block but a still warmed up to prevent condensation

the main reason for not using all the bolt holes to apply pressure to the TEC is so i could apply more pressure to the W/B / cover seal to prevent it from leaking.

The reality is that the TEC's need a relatively low mounting pressure

Attached Images Attached Images

Xtreme Member
    I really like the new block. So now 4# hex bolts to hold the cold plate to the water block? Plus the mounting hardware helps some... Iron/Steel doesn't really transfer heat all that well. And those look smaller than the earlier version too. And as the block itself will never get much hotter than ambient.(If I can help it!!) Heat transfer really shouldn't be much of a problem. I would like to see more examples of other computers using your blocks. So I can get a better idea of what is needed to cool them. But I think I'm on the right track. ( Load-Total-Overkill!!! LOL)
    Last edited by Clay; 03-19-2011 at 01:51 PM. Reason: I like to edit.
    Still overclocking and water cooling. Old stuff mostly... Still buyin' new stuff for my huge monster case though..(Project on hold til' further notice.or til' I suddenly see a fair increase in income. (Even then the gunshows do tend to grab me!!!) But really no new rig to speak of. Currently C2D E8400 on H2O Giga' p43t W/ decent pair o' ddr3 sticks stuffed in a old aluminium coolermaster preatorian case with a shrouded PA140.3 hangin' out of the side.Needs some bigger fans to keep up with this yuma heat though.. TX850. GTX460.Old yellow 1/2" tygon tubing adds some petina to the dear old thing. (As if it needed any.)Really nuthin' to call home about here at least... LOL..

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    I really like the new block. So now 4# hex bolts to hold the cold plate to the water block? Plus the mounting hardware helps some... Iron/Steel doesn't really transfer heat all that well. And those look smaller than the earlier version too. And as the block itself will never get much hotter than ambient.(If I can help it!!) Heat transfer really shouldn't be much of a problem. I would like to see more examples of other computers using your blocks. So I can get a better idea of what is needed to cool them. But I think I'm on the right track. ( Load-Total-Overkill!!! LOL)
    Answer to your first question: Yes I still cool with TEC's but I am more interested in getting the coldest load temps I can as opposed to the 24 x 7 thing.

Answer to your other request about these blocks running on other computers...you won't. Well you may see a test or two done on a q6600 but that's by far outdated. To my knowledge I am the only one out of several to actually successfully (meaning get it running with decent temps) run the block on an i7 platform. My block is also made differently then the one above in that the base design is different. I also do not use and/or endorse the use of Chinese TEC's.

Ultra is in no way associated with myself or the block other than the fact he machined the block or for its actual performance numbers. Hell most of the changes you see in the new block were suggestions I made to him ages ago.

If you have any questions I would be more than happy to answer them privately as I have grown weary of Ultra advertising in my threads.
    Nonsense,

There is no spoon.

^^^

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Agreed

The second block i made went to Elloquin and he gave me significant feed back and as a result of his findings i made a number of changes

There is little worry of me selling anything as we both know i haven't really sold anything to date. If i had people would be posting about them.

Anyway Ellopuin is a great guy
    Last edited by Ultrasonic2; 03-31-2011 at 01:12 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Don't worry too much.. I really do think you'll sell one sometime in the fall.. Maybe sooner... Well have to see...

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrasonic2 View Post
    Agreed

The second block i made went to Elloquin and he gave me significant feed back and as a result of his findings i made a number of changes

There is little worry of me selling anything as we both know i haven't really sold anything to date. If i had people would be posting about them.

Anyway Ellopuin is a great guy

Xtreme Member
    yes you can cool you setup with TEC :

idle :

Temps under load :

3dmark Vantage : +47K (NO PhysX)
    3dmark11 : +14K
    3dmark06 : +41K
    3dmark05 : +50K
    3dmark03 : +187K
    3dmark01 : +126K
    Wprime32m : 3.233sec
    Wprime1024 : 1m30sec320