Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AMD 45nm median voltage limits:

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I just use what voltage is needed until it stops scaling. It's not like I plan on keeping a CPU forever anyway.

Brilliant Idiot
    1.475 is max i would bother with most chips for 24/7. TBH if I had the time and ripped my rig apart and put the amd system in thats been waiting for quite some time, I would be happy with 3.6 24/7, then again my 24/7 pc is mission critical, Quiet and cool.

The point at which is takes excessive voltage for minimal gains for 24/7 use is the point that you will degrade varies chip to chip but 1.475 is preety much safe for all chips.

Best way to find out is to remove the buffer (IHS) run on cool water at a max prime stable speed.

Let water get room temps then boot. It will instapop the chip think that happened at 1.5v IIRC but not 1.475 with quite a few test candidates.

If you can instapop, then it's fairly safe to assume you can degrade with the buffer in place.
    Last edited by chew*; 06-11-2010 at 11:21 AM.
    heatware chew*
    I've got no strings to hold me down.
    To make me fret, or make me frown.
    I had strings but now I'm free.
    There are no strings on me

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    1.475 is max i would bother with most chips for 24/7.
    interesting...

Updated chart, don't know if it's much better.

I started this thread to help avoid people going "I put 1.70v on my Phenom and it still fails prime whats wrong"
    Last edited by BeepBeep2; 06-11-2010 at 11:20 AM.
    Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeep2 View Post
    interesting...

Updated chart, don't know if it's much better.

I started this thread to help avoid people going "I put 1.70v on my Phenom and it still fails prime whats wrong"
    Then they need more vcore, clearly.

Looking good
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Addict
    great!
    Vishera 8320@ 5ghz | Gigabyte UD3 | 8gb TridentX 2400 c10| Powercolor 6850 | Thermalight Silver Arrow (bench Super KAZE 3k) | Samsung 830 128gbx2 Raid 0| Fractal case

Xtreme Member
    Nice to hear thubans can do 1.5 vcore for 24/7. I was reading there website so I tried stay under 1.4 vcore. I was going post question the CPU-NB core voltage. Does this apply for CPU-NB core? NB voltage start at 1.15 vcore I was wondering increasing them to 1.4 is too much?
    Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3.5/2.5NB/2 GHz | SST 2x2GB DDR3-2200CL8 @ 1666 6-6-6-18-1T | Biostar TA890FXE | Diamond HD3870 | Seagate 1 TB 7200.12 | Corsair TX750

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by panzerchaos47 View Post
    Nice to hear thubans can do 1.5 vcore for 24/7. I was reading there website so I tried stay under 1.4 vcore. I was going post question the CPU-NB core voltage. Does this apply for CPU-NB core? NB voltage start at 1.15 vcore I was wondering increasing them to 1.4 is too much?
    I'd stay under 1.4v for 24/7, I could later update this thread to include CPU/NB voltages but that can wait.

I shoved 1.55v into my Deneb's CPU_NB once for SuperPi 1M and it doesn't appear degraded but thats stongly ill-advised.
    Smile

Devil kept pokin'
    Id like to hear more from people who have actually degraded any of these chips under "normal" overclocking.
    Ive had a 7 year old Athlon64 running at 1.65v for 1 year full load 24/7 on stock cooler with no issues. I know not same processes.
    Along with a Athlon 620 at 1.55v and 955c3 at 1.5v 24/7 full load for 1.5 months and ran those volts for 6 months prior both under 55c.
    Then I have a Thuban at 1.52v at ~45c full load 24/7 last 1.5 months. As of yet I havent seen any I'll affects on any cpu Ive ever owned.
    So lets hear some horror storys

Added: btw I like what you got going on here Beep sub'd and I'll be looking forward to hearing more about the NB voltages
    Last edited by slaveondope; 06-11-2010 at 02:39 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    i ran my 945BE (RB-C1) at 1.67-1.72v 24/7 on water for months and never ran into degradation had it buzzing at 4ghz way before most people could get that high (chew* excluded obviously)

my current 1090T is pretty happy at 1.5625v (1013CPMW stepping) but with vdroop thats only like 1.475ish from meter readings on the CH3 benchmarking over that i haven't seen improvements on tec/air with phase 1.6v is about the max i saw scaling on

I am Xtreme
    I ran 1.63v for months on water and previously on air for months. Recently I started crashing, but I was on the ragged edge of 24/7 stability and ambient temps have increased greatly. I don't want to say it HASN'T degraded, but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post

Best way to find out is to remove the buffer (IHS) run on cool water at a max prime stable speed.

Let water get room temps then boot. It will instapop the chip think that happened at 1.5v IIRC but not 1.475 with quite a few test candidates.

If you can instapop, then it's fairly safe to assume you can degrade with the buffer in place.
    What do you mean by "instapop"?
    Phenom II 940 BE / ASUS M4A79 / HD5770 Crossfire
    3770mhz CPU 2600mhz NB | DDR1040 5-5-5-15 | 900/1250

Xtreme 3D Team
    Quote Originally Posted by afireinside View Post
    I ran 1.63v for months on water and previously on air for months. Recently I started crashing, but I was on the ragged edge of 24/7 stability and ambient temps have increased greatly. I don't want to say it HASN'T degraded, but I doubt it.

What do you mean by "instapop"?
    The chip goes "pop" and dies...metaphorically speaking...
    Smile

I am Xtreme
    Well as much as I didn't want to admit it... 1.6v+ for extended periods of time (5 months on water, no idea how many on air when I first got it) has damaged my 940BE. Needs increased vNB for stability at stock speeds.

Xtreme 3D Team
    Well as much as I didn't want to admit it... 1.6v+ for extended periods of time (5 months on water, no idea how many on air when I first got it) has damaged my 940BE. Needs increased vNB for stability at stock speeds.
    vNB? isn't that a motherboard voltage? Even if that's CPU_NB it shouldn't have anything to do with core voltage should it? That's kinda scary...
    Smile

Xtreme Cruncher
    If cpu is scale with voltage then I push it to max 1.55v for 24/7 on air ofc. This is on new am3 cpu's, in era of am2/am2+ cpu smth like 1.6v with good air cooling isnt problem ;] Good = Mugen/Ninja ... push/pull setup and you got some MHz.

Life sometimes gets in the way of what we want to do.

I am Xtreme
    vNB? isn't that a motherboard voltage? Even if that's CPU_NB it shouldn't have anything to do with core voltage should it? That's kinda scary...
    CPU_NB is what I meant. I guess it's possible I damaged the IMC? Was running that at 1.425 I believe. I remember seeing an official paper from AMD (that I can't find, go figure) and I want to say it said 1.55 was on for CPU_NB, but maybe not. Either way my CPU is NOT happy.

Xtreme Addict
    CPU_NB is what I meant. I guess it's possible I damaged the IMC? Was running that at 1.425 I believe. I remember seeing an official paper from AMD (that I can't find, go figure) and I want to say it said 1.55 was on for CPU_NB, but maybe not. Either way my CPU is NOT happy.
    CPU_NB or NBvid or NBIMC ive always kept below 1.55v as per AMD for the IMC DDR2/DDR3.. I see Thurban being slightly lower due to more cores and stress on IMC with higher Freqency Rams.

Just think of the IMC(NB) as another CPU... 1.45volts@3100mhz .

Hence the memory alone coupled with High NB is like having a Supercharger in your CPU .

The Extra Volts up to 1.45v will indeed get things cooking across 6cores and 1800mhz+ ram..

Adding to much Volts or using the Max Volts usually spells Misfire. Voltage is like your Boost.. To much Boost (28psi on the street (and poof there goes the intake/Lower end To0 little volts and your NB limited( like a stock supercharger with 6psi).

Keeping a happy Voltage medium on the NB is priceless..Ive maxed lots of CPU's and ive found that 1.4volts or lower is all ive ever needed on C2/C3..

Thurban is an animal , just remeber More NB(IMC) volts will add heat faster than X4cores .Two more cores pushing the IMC(= more Stress).

just my 2cents

If i had a Thurban id VoltPush it to the moon for Ya
    "AMD...Like the perfect Storm,...Everything needs to be just right"
    X555x4SuperCore@4450mhz@1.64v..........

RYZEN 7 1800x/ ASUS ROG STRIX VEGA64/ =EK NICKEL WB, Feser THC 2x360 1x480
    X470 Gigabyte Aorus7, Patriot 3400mhz 16gb dual2x8
    SSD Samsung 970pro,,860EVO

Xtreme 3D Team
    I've pushed my 965BE to 1.55v on the CPU_NB for bench sessions.

I try to keep under 1.45v for 24/7. Maybe that will be 1.40v now.
    Smile

Xtreme Enthusiast
    my Phenom II x3 720BE quad-core runs 3.43GHz @ 1.48V 24/7, most of the time lightly loaded.
    Main Rig:
    Processor & Motherboard:AMD Ryzen5 1400 ' Gigabyte B450M-DS3H
    Random Access Memory Module:Adata XPG DDR4 3000 MHz 2x8GB
    Graphic Card:XFX RX 580 4GB
    Power Supply Unit:FSP AURUM 92+ Series PT-650M
    Storage Unit:Crucial MX 500 240GB SATA III SSD
    Processor Heatsink Fan:AMD Wraith Spire RGB
    Chasis:Thermaltake Level 10GTS Black

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've pushed my 965BE to 1.55v on the CPU_NB for bench sessions.

I try to keep under 1.45v for 24/7. Maybe that will be 1.40v now.

4.1GHz @ 1.40v?
    what a nice chip you have
    Main Rig:
    Processor & Motherboard:AMD Ryzen5 1400 ' Gigabyte B450M-DS3H
    Random Access Memory Module:Adata XPG DDR4 3000 MHz 2x8GB
    Graphic Card:XFX RX 580 4GB
    Power Supply Unit:FSP AURUM 92+ Series PT-650M
    Storage Unit:Crucial MX 500 240GB SATA III SSD
    Processor Heatsink Fan:AMD Wraith Spire RGB
    Chasis:Thermaltake Level 10GTS Black

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by haylui View Post

4.1GHz @ 1.40v?
    what a nice chip you have
    I believe that was his IMC voltage, not cpu vcore
    PII X6 1055T 14x272
    Gigabyte 890GX
    2x4 GB Gskill DDR3@4890
    XFX 7870

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavhenz View Post
    This is lovely!

If my Deneb need 1,48 volts @ 4ghz but I read 1,45 volts in Cpu-Z (Voltage drop).

Do I consider the real voltage as 1.48 or 1,45?

1.48?
    CPU-Z reports the voltage that is monitored by the support chipsets such as Winbond or ITE based sensor chips. These are IO chips specifically made to provide montioring, sensing, and feedback (reference) for VRMs, etc.

The quality of the voltage reported by CPUID is directly related to the quality of these chips. They are typically pretty good, in the Asus boards I have looked at in detail, the voltage reported is almost always dead on, to the 3rd sig fig, with a measured voltage from a calibrated Fluke.

Having said that, voltage droop is unavoidable (though some MB makers try load line calibrations to correct for it, none are perfect), VRMs under load will provide less voltage (lesser than the requested) than at idle. It is much like a pressure regulator in which you allow air to flow constantly, the measured pressure past the regulator is always less than the set pressure without air flowing.

Thus it is correct to assume the voltage on the CPU is the reported voltage as a drooped VRM is actuall providing that voltage, not the requested.

Jack
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

I should have read this thread sooner. I just killed a X2 240. Hell of a chip, did 4.0Ghz without any additional voltage, 4.1 needed some extra volts. While trying to get it stable at 4.2 I set the voltage to 1.6v in BIOS (Board overvolts about 0.025v under load). I ran IntelBurnTest for some time, then I smelled burned electronics and the chip was dead.

2nd Chip is now stable at 4.0Ghz 1.475v. I'm gonna leave it at that.
    Sandy Bridge incoming.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalfrost View Post
    I should have read this thread sooner. I just killed a X2 240. Hell of a chip, did 4.0Ghz without any additional voltage, 4.1 needed some extra volts. While trying to get it stable at 4.2 I set the voltage to 1.6v in BIOS (Board overvolts about 0.025v under load). I ran IntelBurnTest for some time, then I smelled burned electronics and the chip was dead.
    Are you sure it not the board that bit the bullet though? It seems - it's rather easier to kill your board that you cpu nowadays...

People with Thubans & phase changing @ 24/7, should know what I mean

Those voltages are under water right? What about them with a good (high-end) air cooling?

I am Xtreme
    if its just 2 cores it might not be that bad with temps
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12