Thread: My first WC setup, how are these temps?

My first WC setup, how are these temps?

So i've just built my first WC setup:

Swiftech MCP355 (Laing DDC) 18 Watt version
    XSPC Res & pump top replacement
    Swiftech MCR320 QP rad
    XSPC Delta V3 cpu block
    Swiftech MCW60 gpu block
    Tygon R3603 7/16 ID
    All DD Fatboy 1/2in barbs

There is a mismatch of fans on the rad. A high speed Silverstone, and Antec SmartCool, a couple of cheap CoolerMasters (IPC Queen), and a couple of no name (at least i can't remember what they were) fans pulled from old PCs. Not the most optimal setup, but thats six 120mm fans in push-pull, and the MCR320 QP cools well on low speed fans, or so i've read.

I'm running my I7 920 D0 at 3.8Ghz/190Bclk with +70mv Vcore (about 1.25 with vdroop enabled on my Bloodrage). QPI/VTT, Uncore, and all other voltages are default. After 20min of Prime95 SmallFFT Priority 8 i'm getting core temps of 71/69/69/64 with an ambient temp of 75f (about 24c).

Running OCCT for 30min produced 76/73/74/69 with ambient temps of 84f (about 29c).

Are these good temps? I know a good block like the heatkiller can lower delta temps about 10c compared to this block, at least according to testing by HESmelaugh. (I believe thats who ran the block tests anyway). I was running out of money though and there were certain things i didn't want to skip on. I read this block performed well for the money so i settled on it. I figure i can replace it later if need be.

I haven't ran anything but the stock cooler and my water setup on this i7 so i don't have much to compare it to. I thought about testing out my Ultra 120 i used on my Core2 but i don't have the 1366 hold down bracket and don't really want to spend the money on one. Though i am curious as to what kind of temps it would give me.

What do you guys think? Good temps or bad? I've done one remount with the block and didn't notice any difference. I'm using AS5 TIM.

Also, since core 1 and 4 vary so much from each other i'm wondering if i should do the RealTemp calibration as per the instructions? It looks like everyones varies by some degree, but i'm wanting to push this cpu a little further, and i don't want temps to go over ~75c. Problem is when core 1 hits 76, core 4 shows 69. Which should i go by?

Your figures surely can't be right here.
    Unless you are actively chilling you'll never get below ambient.
    EDIT - by ambient here in context means your room temperature (i.e. the temperature of the air being drawn into the radiators).
    Last edited by P5ym0n; 06-09-2010 at 07:38 AM.
    Current rig:
    Mobo: DFI Lanparty DX X58 T3eH6
    CPU: i7 920 D0 @ 3 something GHz
    GPU: GTX 480
    RAM: 12gig Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600
    Boot drive: Intel X25-M SSD
    Dev Drive: Raptor 10k
    4 other storage drives - various.

Water Cooling:
    Laing DDC Pro Pump with Petras DDC-01s
    1 x 140.3 Radiator with 3 x 140mm NB-BlackSilentPRO fans (1700 rpm 90 CFM).
    iTrap Res
    Koolance 360 v1.1 CPU block
    AquaComputers GFX 480 GPU block

Case: Coolmaster HAF-X
    2 x 24" DVI monitors: HP ZR24w IPS and a crappy TN Philips 240BW.
    Keyboard / Mouse: Logitech G15 and G9.
    Sound: Asus Xonar D2

Xtreme 3D Team
    There are multiple sensors in the CPU. Core 1 was at 76c and Core 4 was at 69c.

If you don't want any of the cores over 75c then I'd look at the hottest one.

@ P5ym0n
    No comment on that.
    Smile

Xtreme Member
    Core 1 is usually the most accurate from RealTemp.
    Even though, your ambient is a bit high. But I believe you temps are still relatively higher for that OC.
    ATCS 840| Core i7 920 - 4.2Ghz - H20| Corsair Dominator GT 1600Mhz 6GB| EVGA X58 Classified| GTX480 2-Way SLI| WD 640GB X2 (Raid 0)| Corsair HX1000W

I am Xtreme
    The 2 things that stick out to me are the CPU block and the TIM.

The XSPC Delta V3 never was a top of the line block and it was originally designed for the old 775 CPU's. It was a decent low cost, low restriction block but that class of block always performs worse than the more expensive blocks.

As for the TIM, your like myself. . .still using AS5 even though most everyone else has moved on to other, better TIM's like MX-2, MX-3, IE, S-E X23-7783D and the like as they are a good handful of °C better. Just curious, did you wait the 50 to 200 hours for it to set before you did the remount?
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by P5ym0n View Post
    Your figures surely can't be right here.
    Unless you are actively chilling you'll never get below ambient.
    EDIT - by ambient here in context means your room temperature (i.e. the temperature of the air being drawn into the radiators).
    Sorry, i should have clarified that the the RealTemp core temps i posted are in celsius. I wrote the ambient temps in degrees f because that's what the thermometer in my room shows. That's also why i converted the ambient temp to degrees c so no one else would have to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ottoyu34 View Post
    Core 1 is usually the most accurate from RealTemp.
    Even though, your ambient is a bit high. But I believe you temps are still relatively higher for that OC.
    That's good to know. I probably would have went by that one anyway just because it's the hottest. I'm still wondering if i should calibrate RealTemp, but i don't want it reporting lower temps than what i'm actually running.

Yeah, it gets pretty warm in the office, even with the A/C going (central air). It's a small room so i'm not surprised it gets warm with the door shut (which it usually is).

I was thinking the same thing. Most people i see running water at 4Ghz are only hitting mid 60s. Yeah, it was warm when i ran OCCT, but i ran the Prime SmallFFT at 3am with the air turned down. That's how i got it down to 24c as opposed to the 29 when i ran OCCT. I'm sure these guys aren't running their PC's in rooms colder than ~20c, so that can't be why they are so high.

I might just have to switch this block out. I know pressure isn't an issue because the springs are almost fully compressed. Maybe oc'ed i7s are just too much for this block. It is an older design after all.

With the variance in my core temps i'm wondering if maybe the IHS is uneven. 76 on the hottest and 69 on the coolest core seems to be quite a big gap. I've seen others report similar discrepancies in temps between cores though so maybe i'm just nit picking.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged
    The 2 things that stick out to me are the CPU block and the TIM.

The XSPC Delta V3 never was a top of the line block and it was originally designed for the old 775 CPU's. It was a decent low cost, low restriction block but that class of block always performs worse than the more expensive blocks.

As for the TIM, your like myself. . .still using AS5 even though most everyone else has moved on to other, better TIM's like MX-2, MX-3, IE, S-E X23-7783D and the like as they are a good handful of °C better. Just curious, did you wait the 50 to 200 hours for it to set before you did the remount?
    Yeah, that's what i was afraid of with the block. I guess i could have cheaped out somewhere else, but a cpu block is easy enough to replace.

Yep, still going with AS5. It's never let me down. I've thought about trying something new like MX-2. Is it really that much better than AS5?

I ran with the first mount for about two weeks. I'm going on about three days with the second one so we'll see what happens as it fully cures.
    Last edited by jacksonkid; 06-09-2010 at 10:02 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    MX-2 will give a bit better temps. It's not like 5 C, but it's better. AS5 is still decent, don't fret it. Look in the stickies for Skinnees TIM comparison.

And yea, it's your CPU block. It can't remove the heat very well, especially an i7. Loads more watts.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H