Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSI moving to UEFI with Sandy Bridge?

Xtreme Member

MSI moving to UEFI with Sandy Bridge?

According to the MSI mole, the first new UEFI products will be based on Intel's Sandy Bridge chipset, spanning the whole field from entry-level boards to high-end kit. The company says that it expects the boards to be introduced towards the end of this year, and into early 2011. "We won’t consider UEFI as an expensive premium feature," said the spokesperson, "but as a must-have for everyone!"
    Source THINQ.co.uk

Via Sweclockers.se

Xtreme Addict
    Now my PC won't feel like it's 30 years old each time I boot it.

It may still. Most EFI implementations retain the lovely, antique BIOS look. Lazy devs.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

dont all EFI implementations have missing bios functions and cant u break the firmware by giving it some bad settings that are unrecoverable or is that all worked out now
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

I am Xtreme
    Faster boot times, please.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Faster boot times, please.
    QFT

my notebook (with UEFI) boots 2 times faster than my PC because of all these bootroms necessary on a BIOS system
    Core i7 2600k|HD 6950|8GB RipJawsX|2x 128gb Samsung SSD 830 Raid0|Asus Sabertooth P67
    Seasonic X-560|Corsair 650D|2x WD Red 3TB Raid1|WD Green 3TB|Asus Xonar Essence STX

Core i3 2100|HD 7770|8GB RipJawsX|128gb Samsung SSD 830|Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
    Bequiet! E9 400W|Fractal Design Arc Mini|3x Hitachi 7k1000.C|Asus Xonar DX

Dell Latitude E6410|Core i7 620m|8gb DDR3|WXGA+ Screen|Nvidia Quadro NVS3100
    256gb Samsung PB22-J|Intel Wireless 6300|Sierra Aircard MC8781|WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Harman Kardon HK1200|Vienna Acoustics Brandnew|AKG K240 Monitor 600ohm|Sony CDP 228ESD

Xtreme Cruncher
    this is nice to hear from MSI. and for those that didn't know what UEFI was when looking at this thread (like myself), here's a good explanation of it in the FAQ:

http://www.uefi.org/about/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    BIOS - the last thing in pc that was developed only by engineers and programists. now i'm seeng all this stupid layouts that we will must break through.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuToFiRE View Post
    *quarter million dollar frisbee*

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by prznar1 View Post
    BIOS - the last thing in pc that was developed only by engineers and programists. now i'm seeng all this stupid layouts that we will must break through.
    Agreed. I don't like it either and I think it's a good reason to ignore future MSI boards.

A different look for UEFI:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensi...ware_Interface

Criticism

EFI has been criticized for bringing more complexity to the system, without bringing significant advantages[1] and disabling fully open-source BIOS replacements like OpenBIOS and Coreboot.[21] It does not solve any of BIOS's long standing problems of requiring two different drivers - one for the BIOS and one for the operating System - for most hardware.[22] It is not clear why it is beneficial to have two completely different operating systems running concurrently and doing similar things, or why a new operating system has to be created from scratch.[22]

The Free Software Foundation has criticized Intel for pretending to open up their platform, and for preventing interoperability: "It won't run, and doesn't bring us any closer to a BIOS that does run. It is just a distraction."[7]

Note however that TianoCore or GNUFI can be ported as a payload of coreboot, to make a fully-free firmware based on EFI.
    Unless it brings HUGE benefits I don't want it.
    Last edited by El Mano; 06-09-2010 at 10:42 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by generics_user View Post
    QFT

my notebook (with UEFI) boots 2 times faster than my PC because of all these bootroms necessary on a BIOS system
    is that 10 seconds really hurting you?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by HelixPC View Post
    If my PC booted 10 seconds quicker it would mean that this reply would have cost me 0 seconds of my life.
    TAMGc5: PhII X4 945, Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P, 2x Kingston PC2-6400 HyperX CL4 2GB, 2x ASUS HD 5770 CUcore Xfire, Razer Barracuda AC1, Win8 Pro x64 (Current)

TAMGc6: AMD FX, Gigabyte GA-xxxx-UDx, 8GB/16GB DDR3, Nvidia 680 GTX, ASUS Xonar, 2x 120/160GB SSD, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s, Win8 Pro x64 (Planned)

Xtreme Addict
    10 seconds is a long time when comparing the boot times of OSs, so why does it not matter about POST?

Xtreme Addict
    Enable Raid and those 10 secs turn into a eternity, unfortunately I doubt UEFI will fix the boot times with Raid.

Xtreme Addict
    Oh come on guys faster boot times, all you need is an as Asrock mobo. lol anyone remember that marketing scheme?
    i3 2100, MSI H61M-E33. 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws.
    MSI GTX 460 Twin Frozr II. 1TB Caviar Blue.
    Corsair HX 620, CM 690, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Banned
    One step closer to instant on PC's...

Xtreme Member

Talking

It was a pain in the @ss, but I finally figured out how to install Windows 7 x64 in UEFI/GPT mode on my Intel DP55KG. Works great, but its still the same old legacy BIOS interface and some of the settings dont even work anymore in UEFI/GPT mode. Oh well...at least the OCD in me is satisfied heh =P

NooB MOD
    Unless I have a different monitor plugged in, I have no idea how long it takes to POST as it's done by the time my CRT is up and running, so I can't see this making a life-changing difference to me. Leave me with the BIOS I know and love.
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Old fashioned bios is annoying, my damn UD6 takes FOREVER to post get a move on so the SSD can take over. My powerpc macs with open firmware and big old 500GB disc drives boots faster than my core i7 system can fully post, Also the thing has an actual UI in its firmware too. UEFI from what I've seen takes from both old Bios and Open firmware and *&%^ out the worse from both, the only reason it boots faster is its not been laden with half the junk its gonna get eventually. I guess good on MSI for trying, perhaps they will actually put some effort into it and make UEFI work for overclockers. If not I'm sticking with old fashioned bios, i didnt get an SSD for boot times alone.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The ability to boot to volumes that are larger than 2TB will be nice in the coming years

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Darakian View Post
    The ability to boot to volumes that are larger than 2TB will be nice in the coming years
    I've been waiting for this since I found out that windows couldn't boot of my raid array using GPT.

Is it 2002 again?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaivan View Post
    I've been waiting for this since I found out that windows couldn't boot of my raid array using GPT.
    why did u not make a raid partition then it would boot something smaller than 2TB and u have the rest for storage.

as long as we have raid partitions its not really a problem IMO as almost everything has a raid controller now
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    I'm glad they are replacing BIOS. There are plenty of good reasons why UEFI is better then BIOS, especially for users of multiple OSes, but this isn't one of them:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darakian View Post
    This is a windows problem not a BIOS problem. Linux has had the ability to boot GPT partitions on BIOS systems for a while now. They should have fixed it with Windows 7, but didn't for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Solus Corvus View Post
    I'm glad they are replacing BIOS. There are plenty of good reasons why UEFI is better then BIOS, especially for users of multiple OSes, but this isn't one of them:

This is a windows problem not a BIOS problem. Linux has had the ability to boot GPT partitions on BIOS systems for a while now. They should have fixed it with Windows 7, but didn't for some reason.
    Hopefully, they will try to implement it in a Service Pack like they did with XP's 48 bit LBA.
    Intel Q6600 | Abit IP35 Pro | Crucial Ballistix 8500 | Corsair 620HX | Samsung SH-S203B | Seagate 400GB | PNY 8800GT 512MB | Samsung 22" 225BW

Xtreme X.I.P.
    who cares about uefi???
    if it ads anything useful, sure, great! but if it doesnt... then who cares?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast