Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Holy Moly GIGABYTE miniITX H55N-USB3 rocking d i5 655K@4.9GHz 3DMARK06 on air cooling

Xtreme Mentor
    Nice Dinos any 01 results with the 655k?

Xtreme Legend
    hahah 01 where is massman

01 sucks on this platform....that's what most people still have a Rampage Extreme and an E8600 that want to bench it....too bad my board and chip went to silicone heaven (REX+E8600 rip )
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Dinos22, dude, you have me between a rock and a hard place....

After reading this more, I'm really pulled between going for 4.2 to 4.4ghz on an i3 530/550 OR going whole hog and getting an i7 875K and trying for 3.7ghz.

When you ran prime, were your 4ghz+ runs with turbo on or off?

If I could just get a 24/7 4ghz quadcore w/ HT on (don't give a damn about turbo), I'd be set for a long time since I only run single card set ups (at least thats what my wallet tells me), but that's difficult to get realistically. If you can't get it, I can't see myself coming close. I need something to qualify me retiring my PII 945 quad that runs about as fast (sitting at 3.75ghz on air now).

Otherwise, I'd build a little SG05 rig and wait for gigabyte (or someone else) to come out with a mini itx board that has more PWMs and allows for real i7 (or new socket) OCing (pipe dreams came true when I saw your thread, so anything is possible!).

Did you ever try throwing some copper sinks on the mosfets and PWMs? I tried that today on my server rig (see sig) and was able to drop my vcore from 1.25v for 3ghz to 1.215v. Only changed vcore, everything else was stock. I was thinking that might help you hit a slightly higher 24/7 mark.... 3.8~3.9ghz?
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Legend
    i really dont think that board can really handle much more than what ive done in terms of load and i doubt you will really see a board made to handle more load in MiniITX either
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    i really dont think that board can really handle much more than what ive done in terms of load and i doubt you will really see a board made to handle more load in MiniITX either
    Thanks. My wallet screams no, but the insane person in my head keeps whispering, "go for it!"

One other question and I'll probably leave you alone at this point, ha!

Have you tried any xeons on this board? I know gigabyte's site doesn't list them as compatible, but I can't see a real reason why it wouldn't work. Just interested to see if they would work. I can't see it scaling better than your 875K, period.

I also came across this i7 variant intel, the i7-860S: Its 82w vs 95W

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=41318

It appears to be out, but I have yet to see one. Have these popped up down there? I'd love to see if anything and be pulled out of this chip!

Thanks again for answering all the annoying questions I've been asking. Either way, I am getting this board. And no more for now... I'm too tired from all of this and it's past my bed time, lol.
    Last edited by [XC] Synthetickiller; 07-07-2010 at 09:49 PM.
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Legend
    officially xeons are not tested on these as they area meant for a different platform but i am yet to see what's really different between then and they usually run ok

i havent seen those low volt chips but i havent gone out looking for them yet

sounds nice that they are dropping TDP
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Xtreme Member
    A new beta bios was released today... In the notes it says, "Improvement in overclocking" ... I'm wondering if it has fixed the multiplyer for the unlocked CPU's from not holding?

Nerdy Powerlifter
    What do you guys think of i3 530 vs 550? Basically a 22 multiplier vs 24 multiplier. For 4.4ghz its 200 vs 185 bclk and I know this board does have power limitations.

Does the 2x higher multiplier justify a $35 increase? I'm hoping to get a really high OC on this board that's for 24/7. I can stomach the cost if it would really provide a fairly higher OC.
    You must [not] advance.

Heatware

Xtreme Member
    I would go for it. For the reason less stress on the BCLK. Any chance of lowering that will help on an iTX board. I'm going with the unlocked 875 quad core for the fact that I want a low BCLK. The multiplyer doesn't seem to matter what level it's set. The more stock the board is, the better

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Good enough reason for me honestly. While this won't be a main rig, I would like to push this chip pretty hard. The fact that it doesn't have turbo imo is better since its a gimmic IMO if you OC. 24x185 would be great and a whole lot more less stressful on the mobo than a bclk of 200.

What do you plan on running your i7, speed wise, 24/7?
    You must [not] advance.

Heatware

Xtreme Member
    Well my goal is to hit 3.75GHz. So I'm going to try and get 27x140. I don't know what the limit on multiplyer is for the board, but if I can hit 27, I'll be very content.

I'm running a 920 now at 3.85Ghz at 1.24v. So I'm switching to a SG07 with a 5870 and this 875k CPU. So when I get the board I'm going to try for the lowest BCLK to run 24/7.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well I just set this board up with a 655K, for a little file server/entertainment pc. Managed 4.52 under liquid, 4GB of budget corsair stuff, Radeon 4890, 2xSeagate 1GB and a 64GB OCZ Core all packed into an mITX Lian Li Case powered by an OCZ ModStream 600W.

http://www.wprime.net/Scores/8437/View

I don't know what's holding it back, temps don't go above 35C under load, tried fiddling with the voltages, I'm only using a 20 pin connector - might be underpowering things (can't fit the other two in - pipes from my radiator block it).

I was hoping for 5GHz as an every day speed, dreaming maybe...
    Last edited by wwwww; 07-16-2010 at 12:59 AM.

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dchipset View Post
    Well my goal is to hit 3.75GHz. So I'm going to try and get 27x140. I don't know what the limit on multiplyer is for the board, but if I can hit 27, I'll be very content.

I'm running a 920 now at 3.85Ghz at 1.24v. So I'm switching to a SG07 with a 5870 and this 875k CPU. So when I get the board I'm going to try for the lowest BCLK to run 24/7.
    If you look at what dinos did, 27x should not even be an issue.
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1232075

You know, the more I real, the more I am put between a rock and a hard place. 3.75-3.8ghz on the 875K would destroy a PII @ 3.75ghz in everything. I wouldn't mind upgrading.... Hmm...

Have you bought anything yet? I'm still on the fence and waiting for some funds to actually buy everything for the build, so if you get anywhere w/ the i7, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by wwwww View Post
    Well I just set this board up with a 655K, for a little file server/entertainment pc. Managed 4.52 under liquid, 4GB of budget corsair stuff, Radeon 4890, 2xSeagate 1GB and a 64GB OCZ Core all packed into an mITX Lian Li Case powered by an OCZ ModStream 600W.

I don't know what's holding it back, temps don't go above 35C under load, tried fiddling with the voltages, I'm only using a 20 pin connector - might be underpowering things (can't fit the other two in - pipes from my radiator block it).

Ha, I'm hoping for 4ghz+, 4.4 idealy on a dual. I think that's possible with the power limits of the board.
    You must [not] advance.

Heatware

Xtreme Memory Hoarder
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Synthetickiller View Post
    If you look at what dinos did, 27x should not even be an issue.
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1232075

You know, the more I real, the more I am put between a rock and a hard place. 3.75-3.8ghz on the 875K would destroy a PII @ 3.75ghz in everything. I wouldn't mind upgrading.... Hmm...

Have you bought anything yet? I'm still on the fence and waiting for some funds to actually buy everything for the build, so if you get anywhere w/ the i7, let me know.

Ha, I'm hoping for 4ghz+, 4.4 idealy on a dual. I think that's possible with the power limits of the board.

I have 4.5 on 650 and my buddy's 655k with under 1.33 volts stable, this board kills it with the duals
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    gskillllin it!

Xtreme Legend

it really depends on the CPU you have and the volts you are hammering it with i guess

hows things anyways Walt....havent seen ya in yonks
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Dinos, did you ever get a chance to thrown an i5 750 on this guy? I know there's a huge difference in power draw between i5 650 and the i7 875K w/ HT, but I'd think the power draw of the i5 750 isn't as high as the i7.

I'm wondering if its more of an issue w/ high bclk stressing the mobo. Since the 750 has a 20x multiplier, it takes a 200 bclk to reach 4ghz vs the 530 which takes about 180. I guess the 875K stresses it about the same since you can throw a huge multiplier at the board. 28x133 = 3.724ghz w/o moving the bclk an inch....

I have no personal experience with 1156 or 1366 sockets, so if I seem clueless, it's just that I'm a QPI virgin.
    You must [not] advance.

Heatware

Xtreme Addict

What kind of cooler/radiator are you using? I'm waiting for a i3 530 k0 to find its home here and are going to use a Lian-Li case as well. The layout is a bit challenging though in temrs of suitable cooler.
    GA-H55N-USB3
    i3-550 L008B555 @4.6GHz (1.36v)
    Sapphire HD 5850 @1GHz/1.3GHz (1.25v)
    GSkill ECO 4GB PC3-12800 @1.33GHz 6-6-6-20 1T (1.34v)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    it really depends on the CPU you have and the volts you are hammering it with i guess

hows things anyways Walt....havent seen ya in yonks
    Hey Dino, I think its more the board - this particular chip needs more juice and the board can't supply enough power, or the mosfets are overheating - my ramsinks were too big to fit on them.

My last real overclocking machine was a Presler 955EE under swiftech w/c, when I see 36C load temps - it makes me feel like the CPU has a lot more to give.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    What kind of cooler/radiator are you using? I'm waiting for a i3 530 k0 to find its home here and are going to use a Lian-Li case as well. The layout is a bit challenging though in temrs of suitable cooler.
    Using the Corsair H50 - the default mounting plate won't fit though - I just used rubber washers from the HDD mounts in the case in place of the mounting plate. It's a perfect fit to mount the radiator in the top 120mm slot, < 1mm of clearance to the PSU (doesn't block the airflow). You'll need to mount the pipes close to the M/B as they will block the PSU, when you mount them close to the M/B one will block your 24 pin connector - using 20 pins seems to work fine. Have your PSU mount inwards because with W/C you'll need airflow around the CPU slot.
    Last edited by wwwww; 07-16-2010 at 09:20 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Just noticed you have 1.56V into a 32nm CPU - is that safe? (yeah I know - this isn't safesystems.com :P)

Dropped the FSB, raised the voltage, set RAM from Turbo to Standard (what's that?) - now at 4.6GHz
    http://www.wprime.net/Scores/8459/View

Eesh - CoreTemp reports 67-72C on load, but in the bios right after load and reboot, it's always around 29-36C. Looks to be wPrime 1024M stable @ 4.6GHz.
    Last edited by wwwww; 07-16-2010 at 11:00 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Hey Dino, I think its more the board - this particular chip needs more juice and the board can't supply enough power, or the mosfets are overheating - my ramsinks were too big to fit on them.

My last real overclocking machine was a Presler 955EE under swiftech w/c, when I see 36C load temps - it makes me feel like the CPU has a lot more to give.

Using the Corsair H50 - the default mounting plate won't fit though - I just used rubber washers from the HDD mounts in the case in place of the mounting plate. It's a perfect fit to mount the radiator in the top 120mm slot, < 1mm of clearance to the PSU (doesn't block the airflow). You'll need to mount the pipes close to the M/B as they will block the PSU, when you mount them close to the M/B one will block your 24 pin connector - using 20 pins seems to work fine. Have your PSU mount inwards because with W/C you'll need airflow around the CPU slot.
    Nice info, thanks!

My plan was to go with air cooling, and try to mount something like Scythe Shuriken and then use the PSU to pull air threw the cooler (upwards). From what I can tell from the data at hand it will be a very tight fit, and that I will not need the Scythe fan. In worst scenario I can make good use of my dremel.
    GA-H55N-USB3

Xtreme Legend
    heheheh told ya htere is more in it

i wasnt able to stabilise mine at 4.7Ghz prime though...did run for a while but dropped out

it is possible that VRM was reaching the limit at this point too
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Clint, what case do you plan on using & what's the cooler clearance? There's a few mini itx cases by lian li....

Btw, that scythe HSF will block the PCI-E slot. WRONG!

Edit:

Sorry, it does fit. Here's some pics from the VR forums about it.... Check it out...

If anyone has any other known working coolers & pics, please post them. I know the H50 and a few others will fit, although clearance is a problem, even for the SG07.
    Last edited by [XC] Synthetickiller; 07-17-2010 at 07:20 AM.
    You must [not] advance.

Heatware

Xtreme Addict
    Clint, what case do you plan on using & what's the cooler clearance? There's a few mini itx cases by lian li....

Btw, that scythe HSF will block the PCI-E slot. WRONG!

Edit:

Sorry, it does fit. Here's some pics from the VR forums about it.... Check it out...

If anyone has any other known working coolers & pics, please post them. I know the H50 and a few others will fit, although clearance is a problem, even for the SG07.

Im getting the new Lian-Li PC-Q08B
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811112265

The PSU Corsair 400W should land just on top of it according to the numbers I have. The 140mm fan should push air across the MB quietly as well.

Thanks for the images, comes in handy! I will post images as soon as my build is done.
    GA-H55N-USB3

Xtreme Member
    Well I just picked up the 875k today. Plan on ordering the gigabyte board Monday. The SG07 is coming on Tuesday. So Once I get things going, I plan on having some fun trying to reach the max with the CPU and this miniITX board. I will be sure to drop word what I can accomplish...

Hey Dino. Did you upgrade your mobo with the latest bios that came out on the 13?

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Just wanted to add that the i5 760 is out.

I remember dinos saying 3.7ghz for an i7, but I believe that having a 21x multiplier would give the board enough of a break to hold 4ghz stable, ergo 190/191 x21.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115067
    You must [not] advance.

Heatware

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast