Thread: Help with case cooling?

Xtreme Member

Help with case cooling?

I have a coolermaster cosmos s running a GTX295 GPU on a classified MB with a core i7920 at 3.6GHz watercooled.
    The 240mm rad is situated at the top and has 2x gentle typhoons pulling the air through the rad from ouside the case.
    There i a standard 240mm fan pulling in air at the front, 1 magma pulling air in through the bottom and 1 magma as an exhaust at the rear.
    There is also the cosmos s 12inch fan on the side acting as an exhaust too but it only runs at 700rpm.
    My problem is my GPU has at had TIM and new thermal pads but it idles at 54C and 85C full load.
    I have a feeling the case is it to hot internal.
    How can I fix this, thanks.
    Some pics:

Xtreme Mentor
    I think you need more inflow air. The rad restricts airflow and you didn't mention what GTs or the RPM they are running at. Try reversing the side door fan?
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Xtreme Cruncher
    Could always watercool it haha

but I also agree try more intake fans. Also what happens when you leave the case open.
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme Member
    Thanks.
    The GT's run at 1700rpm and the rest at 1600.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Conumdrum View Post
    I think you need more inflow air. The rad restricts airflow and you didn't mention what GTs or the RPM they are running at. Try reversing the side door fan?
    I agree with Conumdrum on this because it's generally best practice to create positive case pressure by using most of your fans as intakes. With positive pressure, other components which use forced air cooling will exhaust a higher volume of air. So items like your graphics card and PSU will run cooler with positive case pressure rather than negative case pressure. Another benefit to positive case pressure is that you can control the points which allow dust to get in your case by using simple fan filters. When there is negative case pressure, every little opening in your case will let dust inside. Once you flip the side fan to blow into your case I think you'll enjoy lower GPU temps. Unfortunately it can be tricky to find filters for larger fans... So you'll not see the benefits of less dust in this setup.
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtreme Member
    How can I reverse the side fan?
    Also if I had the intakes running at a higher rpm than the exhaust would that create a more positive air pressure?
    Also my PSU draws air form a filter on the bottom of the case and expels it through the rear.
    The only thing that is using the most cool air is the GPU.
    Last edited by Barso; 06-07-2010 at 09:07 AM.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barso View Post
    How can I reverse the side fan?
    Also if I had the intakes running at a higher rpm than the exhaust would that create a more positive air pressure?
    Also my PSU draws air form a filter on the bottom of the case and expels it through the rear.
    The only thing that is using the most cool air is the GPU.
    Take the fan off the side pannel and put it back on blowing the oppisite direction.
    24/7 Work & Play Rig
    Gigabyte X58A-UD5, i7 920 @ 4.56ghz 1.48v 21x217, G.Skill PI 12Gb 8-8-8-24-1T 1.56V @ 1736Mhz
    EK Supreme HF P1, Dual EK DCP 4.0 Pumps and EK Res, XSPC RX360 & RX240 w/ 1850rpm GT's
    Sapphire HD 4870 1Gb @ 810/1020mhz, 2x Dell 2407, 2x 1Tb WD Black SATA3, 2x 2Tb Hitachi 7k2000
    Cooler Master ATCS 840, Corsair 750TX PSU, running OSX 10.6.3 & Win 7 64

Xtreme Member
    Apologies but the side fan is an intake.

I am Xtreme
    Does the temp drop when you open the side?
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Member
    I have the Cosmos S as well and I have the same problem with my GPU. I think I might watercool it for noise purposes though. Anyway, I have a triple radiator up top with the fans pulling air from outside through the radiator and into the case. At this point, I feel that air gets hot since it goes through the radiator, so more cool air intake is necessary. I have a clear side panel, so I don't use the giant door fan. My pump is in the bottom so I don't use the 120mm bottom fan. All temps are fine but my GTX 285. I don't know if it's worth liquid cooling it at this point, but I think that's what my solution will be. Even if you aren't getting good temps on the card, I think your case has positive air pressure since all your radiator fans are acting as intake. If you have a double radiator, you should position it so that you have room to add that 3rd 120mm fan up top next to the radiator acting as intake. If that's not working out for you, you can always get creative and add up to 3 120mm fans in the front of the case by attaching them to the removable drive dust filters. But I've added 3x120 to the front before and it wasn't a huge difference in temps for my GPU. The GPUs just run hot like that and unless you have mega air blowing right on them, I don't think adding more case fans is going to help a whole lot. The cosmos s is also a pretty big case, so those intake fans have a distance to push that cool air before it hits your video card. I'd just add it to your liquid cooling loop with a triple radiator up top or else you're going to have to have a lot of noise because of the number of fans. Plus the stock fans on those GPUs are loud as hell.
    Cosmos S
    Core i7 920 3.9GHz
    6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600
    EVGA GTX 285
    X-fi Forte
    WD VR 300GB
    EVGA x58 MB

LC Loop
    Swiftech GTZ
    Swiftech MCR-320 Radiator
    Swiftech MCP655
    EK Multi option reservoir
    Feser 1/2" ID tubing (AWESOME)

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the help but I think you're right.
    The only solution is WC the gtx295 as the card just happens to be a hot card.

Xtreme Member
    Yea that's the conclusion I came to recently with my GTX 285. It's noisy and hot, so I'm going to liquid cool it. Most practical way especially since the air coolers out there are at least half the price of the waterblock.
    Cosmos S
    Core i7 920 3.9GHz
    EVGA GTX 285
    X-fi Forte
    WD VR 300GB
    EVGA x58 MB

LC Loop
    Swiftech GTZ
    Swiftech MCP655
    Feser 1/2" ID tubing (AWESOME)

Xtreme Member
    I have a Cosmos S case as well, and I think the best way to improve your GPU temps is water cooling. Swap the 240mm rad for a 360mm rad up top. Then you can use that 240mm rad in the bottom (you will have to cut at least a 120mm hole, but better to cut two 120mm holes in the bottom). Or if modding the case is not an option, then add a 120mm rad under the bottom fan. That should improve things dramatically over your current state. A 240mm + a 360mm rad in that case does a huge amount of cooling (for extra bonus cooling add a thin 120mm rad to the back blowing fan). But if you want to go modless with that case, then put a Thermochill PA 120.3 up top and a good quality 120mm rad in the bottom, and you will be quite happy. As for air cooling the gpu, well, that card is hot and there is not really much you can do about it, maybe add another fan in front? But that is like putting a band-aid on a broken leg. So the real answer, IMHO is to water cool, but if you are stuck on air, then maybe sell the GTX295 and get an ATI 5870 or 5850.

Xtreme Member
    So you're saying that if i have a 120.3 rad up top and I add my GPU and another 120.1 radiator somewhere in the case, then my temps will benefit? a 120.1 isn't too expensive and since i'm adding the GTX285 to the loop, maybe another rad is a smart move.
    Cosmos S
    Core i7 920 3.9GHz
    EVGA GTX 285
    X-fi Forte
    WD VR 300GB
    EVGA x58 MB

LC Loop
    Swiftech GTZ
    Swiftech MCP655