Thread: Is it worth it?

Is it worth it?

If I added a 140mm rad at the top of a lian li pc-p80 in this liquid cooling situation, do you think there would be any noticable drop in temperature? Of course that is not my motherboard, just a picture!

Comments, suggestions, and advice is always appreciated

Xtreme Member
    IMHO, probably a very slight drop depending on your OC. Martin had done some testing prior and there's a point of diminishing returns.

In fact, a 140 could be used as a separate loop to WC one of your gpus.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Not sure about your flow order since i can see it flopping either way depending on the pump.

Remember having the radiator come before your computer components is NOT necessary, since because of the relatively high flow rates its never an issue.
    Example I have Pump>>GPU>>Northbridge>>CPU>>Radiator>>Res>>Pump

as long as the the Res is before pump take the easiest path to route your components.

On to the 140 Rad...
    I highly doubt you'll get any worthwhile gains with that addition.
    It really depends on what you are trying to gain.
    A higher overclock on a Red hot CPU. Since a 120.3 still can dissipate 600 watts of heat and maintain a 10C delta of air to water (Depending on fans).

Curious though what CPU do you use?
    Last edited by Kurz; 06-06-2010 at 09:55 PM.

^^^^
    Click me

Xtreme Addict
    depends on the heat generated, ambient room temp
    let's just say ... if your rig is oced i7 920 4ghz ... assuming even the cpu producing >60+°C ..
    the enormous heat dump when cooled by the cooler ambient room temp i.e. 25°C

having extra rad, no matter what size will yield generous temp reduction

but of course, if it happens that your rig is not producing the high heat dump for the rad to cool, the difference temp, well you know, is insignificant
    placement of the fan is also important ... in this case, the 140mm should draw cool air from the top to bottom, or else the rad will instead becomes the liability by taking up hot air from bottom

Xtreme Member
    Honestly, I doubt it (depending on how much hassle it is to get the radiator into place).

Oh, you'll probably see a degree or two, but that's going to be about it.

With just the CPU and Motherboard under water, you're not even close to fully saturating the 120.3 rad you are already using, so you'll see some minor improvement with another 140.1 rad, but not a lot.

If the radiator fits in place with minimal/no modding and is easy to add into the loop, then sure go for it. But if it means a lot of hassle, then there's no real need for it.