Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead EVGA GTX480

Xtreme Mentor

Unhappy Dead EVGA GTX480

Well I have have my GTX480 for about a month now, since the beginning of May pretty much 24/7 on gpugrid with fan at 100%. I was just on firefox checking the forums and the computer just shutdowns and my room fills with the smell of burnt hardware. Open my case and its even worse, remove the gpu kind of had an idea that would the culprit and it smelt like something definitely got fried. Replaced it with a GTX295 and no issues. It sucks I now have to RMA a card that only had a month of use on it and have to pay the darn shipping costs Not to mention the more than likely slow turn around time from evga.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    that sucks
    Asus RIVE Bios 2003
    3930k 4.5 ghz @1.29v
    G-SKILLS 32gig ddr-1600 ripjaws Z
    Enermax Evo Galaxy 1250W
    2x EVGA GTX 480 Superclocked SLI @ 900/1800/2000
    X-Fi Fatal1ty Titanium PCI-E
    4 x crucial Realssd C300 256 Raid 0
    Areca 1880i
    Seagate 1TB
    CM HAF 932
    On water:
    HK 3.0
    2x MCP655
    FESER X360
    Blackice GTX 480
    DD-GTX 480 VGA blocks
    DD Reservoir
    Windows 7 64bit

Dell 3008WFP 30"

Help Save Lives Join World Community Grid!

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    980x..... dead
    GTX480..dead
    and you think I'm letting you near a SR2 board with $3000 in cpu's in it?

Sorry to hear pal..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    980x..... dead
    GTX480..dead
    and you think I'm letting you near a SR2 board with $3000 in cpu's in it?

Sorry to hear pal..
    I know I'm having crappy luck as of late, the 980x okay w/e I'm glad I got the money back for it more money for the sr-2 build, the GTX480...that thing wasn't even overvolted and excessively cooled, temps never exceeded 60C. I'm not gonna lie Dave I'm pretty scared to build my SR-2 now

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by =[PULSAR]= View Post
    I know I'm having crappy luck as of late, the 980x okay w/e I'm glad I got the money back for it more money for the sr-2 build, the GTX480...that thing wasn't even overvolted and excessively cooled, temps never exceeded 60C. I'm not gonna lie Dave I'm pretty scared to build my SR-2 now
    Nah, no need to be scared at all.
    I have all the good "safe" settings and your chips are beasts.. I mean beasts and thats at stock speeds.
    At 4000+ they will amaze you..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Addict
    more 480 dies....

probably vrm fail......

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea deluxe View Post
    more 480 dies....

probably vrm fail......
    I concur if I shove my face onto the card and try and pinpoint the smell its right above the VRM area. It smells more towards the intake fan than the exhaust. I would take the card apart but its going for RMA so why bother.

Xtreme Cruncher
    ah that really sucks. now there will be even less fermi cards on the grid. where did you buy the card? if you bought it under 30 days ago, you may be able to get a replacement from the store rather than going directly through EVGA. if it's newegg, they'll pay both way shipping. tigerdirect might, depending on which CS you talk to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Mentor
    Its like 2 weeks over the 30 days. I didn't know newegg paid for both ways on shipping.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Wow Pulsar sorry to hear it man; here's to a quick turn around

I would also push the issue of advance replacement.
    Samsung 42" LCD/Antec 1200 Case/Corsair 1000W PS/ Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 / Intel I7 990X 3.47 @ 4.5 / 3 x RX360 rad /Apogee Xt /2 x 128gb Patriot Torqx M28's @ Raid 0/ WD 600Gb VelociRaptor / Kingston Hyper X 12Gb (6x2) DDR3 2000/ XFX DD HD 7970

Xtreme Member
    sorry to hear your losss

good luck with the RMA
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Cooler Master HAF 932
    Intel i5 750 @ 3.8Ghz LC Fuzion V2
    ASUS P7P55D Pro
    2GBx2 GSKILL F3-16000CL9D-4GBRH
    eVGA GTX 470 SC Koolance Full Cover
    Corsair VX 550
    Dell 2209WA & 2709W
    Razer Lycosa & Cooperhead

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Sorry about your luck on that. I had one of my 4890s blow a VRM chip a couple weeks back. At least yours will be an easy RMA process given it's so new.
    ASRock 990FX Extreme4
    AMD FX 8350
    Kingston 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3 1333
    Gigabyte NVidia GTX 680 2GB
    Silverstone 1000W PSU

Xtreme Cruncher
    i bought tons of stuff from them, only 3 things went bad and if you talk to a newegg rep online by chat, they will give you a return shipping label that's been prepaid, and also ship you the new item within a day after receiving the defective one. i guess it doesn't matter since it's 2 weeks over like you said . sorry to hear about this loss, it's not a small one either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme X.I.P.
    so what, they are not designed to be under 100% load?
    sorry to hear man... if its just the pwm they should be able to fix the card, so maybe turnaround will be fast...
    i thought evga was good when it came to warranty stuff though?

Xtreme Mentor
    I have only had to RMA one evga product before and their hold time on the product was long roughly 2 weeks for a DOA board. I guess we will see I submitted and RMA request earlier today so should have a RMA in the next 24-48 hours. and saaya gpugrid doesn't even run 100% load it only runs it at 70% Really apprehensive about running a Fermi on LN2. I tried removing the stock heatsink because I was bored and couldn't the screws were so tight I was just stripping them, so I gave up.

dam its strange thow were u said u smelt it was it around here i no this is the 470 but was it about the same place as i have mine folding as we speak and dam that spot is like red hot ive added a small tall heat sink to drop the temps and u right that's about the place just under it that the vrms are and mine is on ek full block
    CPU: i5 3750k @4.9ghz 1.37v
    Overclock: 4.9ghz
    Motherboard: Asrock z77 Extreme6
    RAM:16 Gig Corsair Vengeance
    Power Supply: Adata HM 1200W
    Graphics Card: Geforce GTX 980 Ti WF
    Hard Drives: 128 SanDisk
    Cooling: full Ek
    Sound: Blaster Audigy RX
    Case: Core x9
    Monitor:Dell 2405FPW

Xtreme Mentor
    Yeah thats exactly where the smell was coming from. I have no doubt that its the vrms.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by =[PULSAR]= View Post
    Yeah thats exactly where the smell was coming from. I have no doubt that its the vrms.
    did you have a SC card by any change? my first SC lasted 4 days (knew it wouldn't last when 2mhz higher on memory clock caused it to artifact) and now i just got one back from rma and it looks to bed another one not long for this world (already started to artifact at stock). I honestly think these 480's are going to have a very high failure rate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    real men like the idea of packing lots of stuff into a very small space, which is what the mac mini is
    ----------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Baron_Davis View Post
    PS. I'm even tougher IRL.

Xtreme Addict
    Is that so? We only know of two dead 480's here, both died from burned up FETs. I think Pulsar and the other guy just had bad luck.

Pulsar: hopefully your RMA goes well!

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggy McShades View Post
    did you have a SC card by any change? my first SC lasted 4 days (knew it wouldn't last when 2mhz higher on memory clock caused it to artifact) and now i just got one back from rma and it looks to bed another one not long for this world (already started to artifact at stock). I honestly think these 480's are going to have a very high failure rate.
    No it wasn't just a regular version, it was a pretty good clocker. Was running it at 800/1600/2000 24/7 had it up to 850/1700/2000 for folding when I first got it, then temps in the house starting going up.

UPDATE:RMA got approved and sent it in today. It was funny when I was on the phone with RMA support, they were like what seems to be the probelm. "Ummm my card started smoking and smelt like burning electronics."

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by p2501 View Post
    Is that so? We only know of two dead 480's here, both died from burned up FETs. I think Pulsar and the other guy just had bad luck.

Pulsar: hopefully your RMA goes well!
    I've just seen a lot of people having trouble with the 480's recently, maybe I'm jumping to conclusions. You have to admit it wouldn't be too ridiculous to think a rather hot running card could run into problems.

@pulsar: that card was a beast, did you hold a funeral ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    real men like the idea of packing lots of stuff into a very small space, which is what the mac mini is
    ----------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Baron_Davis View Post
    PS. I'm even tougher IRL.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by death View Post
    dam its strange thow were u said u smelt it was it around here i no this is the 470 but was it about the same place as i have mine folding as we speak and dam that spot is like red hot ive added a small tall heat sink to drop the temps and u right that's about the place just under it that the vrms are and mine is on ek full block
    ]
    I think its pretty obvious and a design flaw clearly for them to put hot components on an area that gets no airflow due to being under the fan motor.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggy McShades View Post
    I've just seen a lot of people having trouble with the 480's recently, maybe I'm jumping to conclusions. You have to admit it wouldn't be too ridiculous to think a rather hot running card could run into problems.
    I wouldn't think of it as cause/effect scenario. You have a manufacturer that knows it's new baby will run bloody hot so they spec the components according to the needs - with a higher tolarance to heat. In which case the card would just do what it can do best, blast out heat, with no ill effect. That is, if we leave the laws of economics out of the game.

If we see defects, maybe it's just the normal propability of even a correctly spec'd component to die. We wont know for sure without statistical evidence.

Xtreme Mentor
    Looks like evga RMA service was top notch this time around

They received it on 6/11 and shipped replacement on 6/14. Turn around was 2 business day not bad at all.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by p2501 View Post
    I wouldn't think of it as cause/effect scenario. You have a manufacturer that knows it's new baby will run bloody hot so they spec the components according to the needs - with a higher tolarance to heat. In which case the card would just do what it can do best, blast out heat, with no ill effect. That is, if we leave the laws of economics out of the game.

If we see defects, maybe it's just the normal propability of even a correctly spec'd component to die. We wont know for sure without statistical evidence.
    i have to wonder if nvidia didn't build the voltage regulation circuitry with enough reserve for the chip, evidently even they didn't know the finished product would pull 250 watts. this strikes me as odd, as usually nvidia boards are well engineered, it's the silicon that fails...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast