Thread: Instant Corrosion ... Wish Me Good Luck

Xtreme Member

Instant Corrosion ... Wish Me Good Luck

So, I spent the weekend putting the new machine together (I7-930, Rampage III MB, GTX 480, EK RE3 MB Block, EK Supreme HF, EK FC480)

Unfortunately, it turns out I had a slow leak at the motherboard block over the voltage regs.

Didn't show up during leak testing, so I must of been just tight enough to prevent the leak during testing and ended up loosening it a bit during final installations.

So, Sunday I'm installing everything and suddenly the machine starts rebooting randomly. I'm looking around, but don't see any signs of water anywhere. Then I notice brownish, bubbly/foamy looking gunk squeezing out from underneath the board at the voltage regs.....

Took the system apart and under the board, surrounding the little backplate over the backside of the voltage regs is this big pile of goop. It seems that the water was running down the side of the block, crossing over a few of the voltage regs, getting down underneath and causing some kind of reaction between the anodized aluminum of the mb tray and the backplate on the board.

I have no idea what it was, but it ate the anodizing off of the mb tray and pitted/corroded the backplate some. All within a few hours...

I cleaned the board and the voltage regs with 91% isopropyl, and they look to be OK (none of them look burned or anything), and the board seems to be undamaged (I hope!).

Everything has been dried and reassembled and new (and MORE) leaktesting is now proceeding. Wish me luck! I really hope I haven't fried that $400 board....

[On a side note - anyone know a good, safe, easy way to remove stripped out hex-hole screws? I've got a couple that stripped on an old VGA Backplate that I'd like to remove without destroying the VGA Card if possible]

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Took the system apart and under the board, surrounding the little backplate over the backside of the voltage regs is this big pile of goop. It seems that the water was running down the side of the block, crossing over a few of the voltage regs, getting down underneath and causing some kind of reaction between the anodized aluminum of the mb tray and the backplate on the board.

I have no idea what it was, but it ate the anodizing off of the mb tray and pitted/corroded the backplate some. All within a few hours...
    Sounds like someone didn't use distilled with a killcoil .

Sorry to hear though. I really hope your motherboard is okay.
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

Xtreme Member
    Actually that's what really threw me for a loop.

I was running just pure distilled during initial leaktesting and bleeding.

I had just added a couple of drops of PT Nuke Sunday morning before I powered the system and started installing all my apps.

I'm supposing it had to be some strange reaction between the backplate and the motherboard tray. I suppose the Nuke could have
    had some effect, but at less than 2 pmm (3 small drops and nearly a gallon of distilled) . . .

Xtreme Addict
    Wow, I've never heard something like that happening with distilled, and I don't think PT Nuke had any real influence on that.
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

Chasing After Diety
    I7-930, Rampage III MB, GTX 480, EK RE3 MB Block, EK Supreme HF, EK FC480

Where is the alu or steel used for corrosion?
    What corroded?

Something needs to eat something for corrosion to occur and if that is all your EQ i dont see what ate what.
    Eddy isnt stupid to trick us by throwing in ALU, so i highly doubt its from the EK blocks.

You have a much larger problem, im guessing u had a TON of gunk in your rad that you didnt clean out.
    Or something else... but i dont see how u got corrosion without mixing metals in the presence of an electrolyte.

OK I AM GONNA SAY IT ONCE AND I HOPE YOU GUYS ALL REPEAT IT:
    the best way to ask for help is to show us a picture of what u need help with.
    A picture represents 1000 words in scenery... in debuging help its worth more then 10000.
    Last edited by NaeKuh; 06-21-2010 at 10:15 AM.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Member
    NaeKuh, it was definately NOT from eddy's blocks. I certainly didn't want to give that impression.

I'm not actually certain what the bubbly/foamy stuff was (other than obviously the residue of some chemical reaction).

I should of taken a photo, but I freaked out so much that I wanted whatever it was off of my board asap...

I don't know if corrosion is actually the right word to be using. Maybe electrolysis or something would be more appropriate.

What I'm guessing happened is that the water leaked down over the voltage regs causing a short (and maybe leeching something out of the thermal pad? don't know what those are even made of), then got down and made a circuit between the anodized aluminum of the mb tray and the steel backplate....

I'm certainly hoping that whatever it was remains a mystery...ie it never happens again!!!!

Anyway, I'm going to let this one drop, I think I just wanted to whine a little about it

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    NaeKuh, it was definately NOT from eddy's blocks. I certainly didn't want to give that impression.

I'm not actually certain what the bubbly/foamy stuff was (other than obviously the residue of some chemical reaction).

I should of taken a photo, but I freaked out so much that I wanted whatever it was off of my board asap...

I don't know if corrosion is actually the right word to be using. Maybe electrolysis or something would be more appropriate.

What I'm guessing happened is that the water leaked down over the voltage regs causing a short (and maybe leeching something out of the thermal pad? don't know what those are even made of), then got down and made a circuit between the anodized aluminum of the mb tray and the steel backplate....

I'm certainly hoping that whatever it was remains a mystery...ie it never happens again!!!!

Anyway, I'm going to let this one drop, I think I just wanted to whine a little about it

NEVER FREAK OUT!
    That is what makes the guys who watered a lot longer different from the newbies.

The fact We dont panic when something happens..

That is the key thing...

If you notice something is wrong.. STOP... take pictures... And come on the forums and ASK.

Its best to ask a dumb question and get laughed at with correct advice... then you try to create disneyland by mickey mousing and crying when something unfixable happens.

I would really need to see pictures... gunk is explained by a lot of problems.. and should be dubug'd really quickly.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Could it be Flux?

^^^^
    Click me

Xtreme Member
    Was this a new board or an older one that had some dust collecting on it? If it had some surface dust on it, that could have mixed with the leaking water to make the distilled water conductive, causing it to short out or something on the voltage regulators...Pictures would definately help.

As far as the hex head screws, you mean like the kind used for dsub/dvi/rs-232 connectors to screw into? If so, a nut driver or pair of pliers work.
    Last edited by bomberboysk; 06-21-2010 at 03:36 PM.
    [SIZE="1"]Main Rig:
    - New rig incoming -

Watercooling Loop: Pump: Laing DDC 3.2 w/ XSPC Reservoir Top | Tubing: 1/2 x 3/4" | Waterblock: Apogee GTZ | Radiator: XSPC RS360 | Fans: 3x Delta FFB1212EHE | Fittings: Fatboy Barbs | Other: 5ft Custom Bong Cooler for benching

Xtreme Mentor
    Boiling water (from the short and the 80C reg temps) mixing with the TIM pad, chemicals on the board etc. Thats what the odd colors etc are.

I think it's dead 'Jim'.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Xtreme Guru
    how'd you go mate, take some pictures let us see

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?