Thread: Mushkin 998679 Breaks 2700Mhz Triple Channel

Xtreme Enthusiast

Mushkin 998679 Breaks 2700Mhz Triple Channel

While these are not the greatest of timings, I did stop myself from going to CAS 10, which I think now maybe I should have to see how high that would take me?

This is Mushkin 998679 7-8-7-20 1600Mhz kit
    http://www.mushkin.com/Memory/Blackline/998679.aspx

I had a terrible time this session and chose the wrong OS and disk setup for much of what I planned to accomplish, so that may have also hindered my memory clocking progress too...

Not sure, I can only hope for a better session next time around.

I also did not have a second sensor wire, so I could not monitor the memory temps vs voltage, so I wasn't sure what temps the memory was reaching, maybe once I get another sensor I can do better. Not even sure if the memory was actually getting all that cold, maybe not really so these could probably go a bit higher once I can do things properly

Max 9-11-x-x @ 2691.6Mhz

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1212674

Max 9-12-x-x @ 2713Mhz

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1213011

Max CPU-z validation @ 5.248.21Mhz sadly

I had a terrible time with 050 BSOD's this time around

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1215766

Xtreme Enthusiast
    awesome work
    VDIMM?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks!

1.74/1.76 Vdimm

Tried 1.78-1.82 and that did not help things any, I think I needed to secure the foil to the memory more than I did, not so sure the memory was getting as cold as it could have been.

Xtreme Member
    it has actually very less with ddr3 to do

i had only one i7 cpou that could do 5.1Ghz uncore
    99% of them do only 4.7-4.8 and you can only achieve 2300-2400Mhz max vali

with my i7 960 i could hit 2540MHz with cas 8 and 9 too
    it was uncore limited
    i think your result is great but it depends more on your 32nm cpu uncore then on rams
    My DDR2 Results:
    Cellshock GMH 8500 2GB-1508MHz 2.74v vldt
    Cellshock GMH 8500 2GB-1398MHz 4-4-4-12 2.74v vldt
    Cellshock GMH 8500 2GB-973MHz 3-2-2-1 2.74v vldt
    Cellshock GMH 8500 2GB-1000MHz 3-4-3-5 3.25v SP1M
    Mushkin XP 8500 GMH 2GB-1300MHz 2.45v vldt
    OCZ Reaper 1200MHz PSC-1406MHz 2.28v vldt
    Dominator 8500 GKX 2GB-840MHz 3-2-2-1 2.5v vldt

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by westsider View Post
    it has actually very less with ddr3 to do

i had only one i7 cpou that could do 5.1Ghz uncore
    99% of them do only 4.7-4.8 and you can only achieve 2300-2400Mhz max vali

with my i7 960 i could hit 2540MHz with cas 8 and 9 too
    it was uncore limited
    i think your result is great but it depends more on your 32nm cpu uncore then on rams
    This is 980X CPU, uncore only needs to be 1.5 times memory multiplier, and if you look at my CPU-z validations you will see that uncore is well below 4Ghz in these results.

You are right kinda though, my CPU IMC is the limit I am running into, but it's not the Uncore at all though. I hit around the same 2700ish mark no matter CAS, Volts, Settings, Temps, so the IMC stops there I'm pretty sure.

P55 on the way though, hopefully I will run into a good CPU that will allow me to break 3000Mhz, but sadly it will have to be dual channel now though.

Xtreme Addict
    tinfoil dram dice pot? :O wow .... sick clock on that ram
    WILL CUDDLE FOR FOOD

Quote Originally Posted by JF-AMD View Post
    Dual proc client systems are like sex in high school. Everyone talks about it but nobody is really doing it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks!

yep tin foil!

I saw a post here by another member and it encouraged me to give it a shot!

Worked out great, but I think I may grab a dominance pot sometime and see how well it sits on the naked memory instead of this foil idea.

Xtreme Addict
    allright .. but its always fun to see wacky idea actually working to an high extent
    WILL CUDDLE FOR FOOD

Quote Originally Posted by JF-AMD View Post
    Dual proc client systems are like sex in high school. Everyone talks about it but nobody is really doing it.

Xtreme Legend
    impressive Ed
    these B0s seems to have decent RAM controllers hey
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks!

Ya, seems pretty good to me, but it is the only 980X I have used so not sure how others or retails are.

I think this is as much as it can do though, I can do 2640 on water, nothing cooling the memory, and only the little bit more you see above with the CPU on Dice. Nothing more helps, looser timings, more/less voltage, even single channel and it all ends roughly around the same Mhz.

It may get a little bit more with Ln2, but I doubt much more though as I think that's about all the IMC can put out memory-wise.

P55A-UD6 on the way so I can break 3000Mhz, hopefully I'll come across a CPU with a strong IMC to push past this.

Xtreme Guru
    Awesome clocks dude, should run some Benches

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks!

I just got a new pot, so I will be running some benches again soon with these!

I did a run last weekend, but not with extreme memory clocks or anything, and I didn't think my results were extreme enough to go into the extreme section so I only posted them at OCN.

Got my first Sub 8s PI run with these though, 7.594s!

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Thanks!

I just got a new pot, so I will be running some benches again soon with these!

I did a run last weekend, but not with extreme memory clocks or anything, and I didn't think my results were extreme enough to go into the extreme section so I only posted them at OCN.

Got my first Sub 8s PI run with these though, 7.594s!
    Nice mate, Could u check which ic's these are using and take a pic of the PCB? hehe.. Mind testing on air too? Im in search of some good triple channel ram .. Need the highest OC'd with the tightest timings, anything up to 2000mhz will do..

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny87au View Post
    Nice mate, Could u check which ic's these are using and take a pic of the PCB? hehe.. Mind testing on air too? Im in search of some good triple channel ram .. Need the highest OC'd with the tightest timings, anything up to 2000mhz will do..

YGPM about the IC's. As for air testing, you can check the link in my signature for my full review on them, these will do 2600+ on air with the right CPU. I have not tested stability at higher speeds like that, but I would expect 2200-2400 can be easily made stable

Xtreme Enthusiast
    how much VTT?
    Email/web browsing PC
    MM Ascension case, 24/7 settings
    Classified, 980x @ 4,525Mhz, HT on 1.39V
    (3) ATI 5870's@ 1062Mhz
    G skill perfect storm RAM s 6gb, 2,176 Mhz CAS 8
    (4) intel x25m RAID 0
    CPU loop, EK supreme HF, EK mobo block, 500MM bitspower res, 2 DDC 3.25's on XSPC top, 2 XSPC RX 360's, 1 XSPC RX 480, GPU loop, EK water blocks, with nickel backs, 2 swiftech mcr 320's, 500MM bitspower res, ddc 3.25, XSPC top all with 1850 RPM gentle typhoons
    plus many other rigs.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    YGPM about the IC's. As for air testing, you can check the link in my signature for my full review on them, these will do 2600+ on air with the right CPU. I have not tested stability at higher speeds like that, but I would expect 2200-2400 can be easily made stable
    Thanks mate, You should test the 998750 ddr3-2000 Cl8, they use hypers mgh-e hypers

Xtreme Guru
    sorry for double post, these ones to be more specific http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...shkin%20998750

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by justin.kerr View Post
    how much VTT?
    For what speeds do you want to know, the ones in the OP or the ones I mentioned on air/no cooling? It really all depends on the uncore I was using at the time, not all that much really though.

Thanks mate, You should test the 998750 ddr3-2000 Cl8, they use hypers mgh-e hypers
    Send me a set and I will

sorry for double post, these ones to be more specific http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...shkin%20998750
    I don't have any, and neither does newegg, so I can't

998826 under testing for review right now though