Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Thread: KILL your i7 980X AT ONCE (and RMA it)...

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie27 View Post
    Simple answer #2 Overclocking VOIDS the warranty! Please do it AT YOUR OWN risk.
    AFAIK it doesn't.
    Intel is just not guaranteeing stable operation when overclocked, they don't mention anything about invalidating the warranty.
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    AFAIK it doesn't.
    Intel is just not guaranteeing stable operation when overclocked, they don't mention anything about invalidating the warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Intel
    if the Product is properly used and installed
    This includes using the stock cooler...otherwise, you have not installed it "properly". Hit up a chat agent, and they will make it pretty clear.

http://www.intel.com/support/process.../CS-009862.htm

Look at my F=FAILED BATCH . He died, on default. I just RMA it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2cu3.jpg 
Views:	792 
Size:	241.7 KB 
ID:	107592  

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i know your disagreement started at a different spot, about 'basic fraud' when i think the thread started with a nice joke, not someone trying to commit fraud, but to each his own translation.

the part that got me was this-

Simple answer #1. Many folks aren't you and are beyond you and I. They don't overclock. They bought 980X because it had 6 cores and enough MHz.

Simple answer #2 Overclocking VOIDS the warranty! Please do it AT YOUR OWN risk.
    and i have to disagree.

before you ask.
    how about a video by Intel, about overclocking your processor?

http://www.intel.com/Assets/Video/re...20Overclocking

this is the page i got it from http://www.intel.com/consumer/game/gaming-power.htm

and before you say it again, i know

"‡ WARNING: Altering clock frequency and/or voltage may: (i) reduce system stability and useful life of the system and processor; (ii) cause the processor and other system components to fail; (iii) cause reductions in system performance; (iv) cause additional heat or other damage; and (v) affect system data integrity. Intel has not tested, and does not warranty, the operation of the processor beyond its specifications. Intel assumes no responsibility that the processor, including if used with altered clock frequencies and/or voltages, will be fit for any particular purpose. For more information, visit www.intel.com/consumer/game/gaming-power.htm."

but what is that turbo boost technology? it overclocks your cpu automatically per intel's specifications

http://www.intel.com/technology/prod...d=tech_tb+demo

now less mind numbing video, here's the white paper

http://download.intel.com/design/pro...=tech_tb+paper

so... overclocking isn't against the warranty,only operating outside of it's specifications is..
    Last edited by penguins; 09-11-2010 at 03:52 AM.
    If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig
    you know you're addicted to watercooling when:
    Quote Originally Posted by Onoff312 View Post
    You started with a $200-400 budget and have ended up spending over $1000-2000

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramguy View Post
    Look at my F=FAILED BATCH . He died, on default. I just RMA it.
    F batch not totaly failed
    my 3005F225 do 5900 benchable on cascade with 1.64 vcore

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by subzero 1979 View Post
    F batch not totaly failed
    my 3005F225 do 5900 benchable on cascade with 1.64 vcore
    F batch = fail in terms of fragility.
    Most of them die very quick & easy.

My 3005F210 was awesome in every way, but died just after 3 hours of LN2

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Enthusiast
    F batch = fail in terms of fragility.
    Most of them die very quick & easy.

My 3005F210 was awesome in every way, but died just after 3 hours of LN2
    So, if I do happen to recieve a F batch, should I just run with single core, and RMA it?
    Project Elegant Dreams
    CPU: Intel 980x (3005F803T) @ Stock , Mobo: Rampage III Extreme, Ram: 24GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 C9 1T 1.51v GPU: SLI EK'd Vanilla GTX580, 0.875v @ idle.
    Sound:Asus Xonar Xense w/Sennheiser PC350
    SSD: 2x OCZ Agility 3 120GB RAID-0 on ICH10 Storage: 2x1.5TB Hitachi 5K3000, 1.5TB WD Black, 1TB F3, various other HDD's Case: Obsidian 800D, PSU: Corsair AX1200,

Water Cooling
    Main Loop
    EK Supreme HF
    EK GTX480 blocks on EVGA 580s
    MCP355 and MCP35X in serial
    Dual BlackIce GTX480 Rads

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookiesowns View Post
    So, if I do happen to recieve a F batch, should I just run with single core, and RMA it?
    ROFL.
    Short answer is no.
    If you're not an extreme overclocker ( overclocking with dry ice, cascade, LN2 ) it's not going to bug you unless you push the CPU too far on air/water for a relatively long period.

Running it on air at 4GHz @ 1.2V to 1.28V will more than likely do no harm to the CPU and it will live long enough for you to upgrade to a new CPU/platform.

There's always a chance of it degrading or dying but you shouldn't take that as granted.

I am Xtreme
    ROFL.
    Short answer is no.
    If you're not an extreme overclocker ( overclocking with dry ice, cascade, LN2 ) it's not going to bug you unless you push the CPU too far on air/water for a relatively long period.

Running it on air at 4GHz @ 1.2V to 1.28V will more than likely do no harm to the CPU and it will live long enough for you to upgrade to a new CPU/platform.

There's always a chance of it degrading or dying but you shouldn't take that as granted.
    OK, QFT on both 201 and 208! My bad! I should have said extreme overclocking, not exceeding the Max voltage limits Intel (or anyone else for that matter) set for it.

Thanks penguins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Addict
    rofl i borrowed an 980X ES from a reviewer around two months back, he was begging me not to degrade/kill it as he needed it for a review... I pushed it on straight water pretty hard over 4.5Ghz and 1.52V for torture/stabilty and 3D beching, but when i tried benching with only one or two cores enabled, my P6T DLX V1 wouldn't boot for requiring a CMOS clear everytime and keep in mind it was the first time i was forced to manually clear the CMOS ever, i even thought i killed the mobo and/or the CPU. hehe.
    2600k @ 5.0Ghz 1.54V, Giga Z68, Zotac GTX680 AMP!, Patriot 1066Mhz 8GB RAM, Custom water, Silverstone 1000W, HAF932

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ROFL.
    Short answer is no.

What overclocks have you seen around 1.4v under water? On F-Batches or 980x batches in general? No I won't use LN2, though there is a chance I might.
    Project Elegant Dreams
    CPU: Intel 980x (3005F803T) @ Stock , Mobo: Rampage III Extreme, Ram: 24GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 C9 1T 1.51v GPU: SLI EK'd Vanilla GTX580, 0.875v @ idle.
    Sound:Asus Xonar Xense w/Sennheiser PC350
    SSD: 2x OCZ Agility 3 120GB RAID-0 on ICH10 Storage: 2x1.5TB Hitachi 5K3000, 1.5TB WD Black, 1TB F3, various other HDD's Case: Obsidian 800D, PSU: Corsair AX1200,

Water Cooling
    Main Loop
    EK Supreme HF
    EK GTX480 blocks on EVGA 580s
    MCP355 and MCP35X in serial
    Dual BlackIce GTX480 Rads

Xtreme Member
    my 980X degrade, just after 1 month, I run linx again no longer stable at 4.16 Vcore 1.31
    so frustrated.
    2x Asus P8Z68-V PRO Bios 0501
    i7 2600K @ 4.6GHz 1.325v / i5 2500K @ 4.4GHz 1.300v
    2x G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 1600
    Plextor M5P 256GB SSD / Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD
    Seasonic X-1050 PSU / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold PSU
    EVGA GTX 690 (+135%/+100MHz/+200MHz/75%) / EVGA GTX 680 SC Signature+ (+130%/+80MHz/+200MHz/70%)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    OK, QFT on both 201 and 208! My bad! I should have said extreme overclocking, not exceeding the Max voltage limits Intel (or anyone else for that matter) set for it.

Thanks penguins.
    cheers mate, i totally agree with 'extreme overclocking' deeeeefinatly not being in the warranty ln2 :\ i am so not that xtreme.
    If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig
    you know you're addicted to watercooling when:
    Quote Originally Posted by Onoff312 View Post
    You started with a $200-400 budget and have ended up spending over $1000-2000

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookiesowns View Post
    What overclocks have you seen around 1.4v under water? On F-Batches or 980x batches in general? No I won't use LN2, though there is a chance I might.
    My chips were pretty damn good for water cooling.
    I don't use water cooling, and no longer have any water cooling parts, but I did some water cooling simulation with the help of my F1EE pot and LN2 controlled... positive temps, and at a full load temp around 75C, and 40C idle, the average 24/7 stable overclock ( 20 loops of LinX x64 ) was around 4.5GHz +/-50MHz

Quote Originally Posted by QuadDamage View Post
    rofl i borrowed an 980X ES from a reviewer around two months back, he was begging me not to degrade/kill it as he needed it for a review... I pushed it on straight water pretty hard over 4.5Ghz and 1.52V for torture/stabilty and 3D beching, but when i tried benching with only one or two cores enabled, my P6T DLX V1 wouldn't boot for requiring a CMOS clear everytime and keep in mind it was the first time i was forced to manually clear the CMOS ever, i even thought i killed the mobo and/or the CPU. hehe.
    I guess you confirmed your nick at 100%
    PROUD|REX|E8600|2*1GB HYPER|9800GTX+ DK|on AIR
    XOCT |RIIIBE|i7 920|3*2GB HYPER|4890 MATRIX|460W Enermax 3in1 24p|SyncMaster 940BF|on AIR
    MEMBER|RIVBE|i7 4960X|4*2GB HYPER|GTX 470 SOC|1KW SilentPro|TV|Seidon 240|

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789