Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: KILL your i7 980X AT ONCE (and RMA it)...

Xtreme Cruncher
    well this is getting real scary.now i guess i wont disable HT(EVER)
    or run with less than 6 cores(EVER).
    i think i will be fine with basic OCing(4.5GHz to 4.8GHz) on water
    with voltages in the 1.40v to 1.50v range(I HOPE)

MY HEATWARE 76-0-0

not for 45nm if you done for 45nm cpu you do heavy oc and then start with out under cold chip in not boot and after boot show you only overclocking fail i test on 920 - 3540 - 3570 and same on all

but in 32nm sure its kill. i test on 670 too and its dead and its cool when you where in iran and there is no RMA for chip you can play football with dead chip

you dont need heavy oc for 32nm just 5.5 fine with 1.700 vcore and vtt upper than 1.440 and work 100% and you kill your 32nm chip easy

Xtreme Member
    Running an SR2 with X5650's with HT disabled, all Cores enabled, crunching Rosetta, NO PROBLEM.

Core 2 Duo(Conroe) was based on the Intel Core Duo(Yonah) which was based on the Pentium M(Banias) which was based on the Pentium III(Coppermine).

Core 2 Duo is a Pentium III on meth.

Banned
    this problem is related to disabling cores, not HT ...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OBR View Post
    I realise that, but someone mentioned earlier that he didn't disable any cores, only HT and killed his chips, so I thought I'd throw in my experance with HT off on the Xeons to show that I haven't killed my chips(yet, knock on wood)

Core 2 Duo(Conroe) was based on the Intel Core Duo(Yonah) which was based on the Pentium M(Banias) which was based on the Pentium III(Coppermine).

Core 2 Duo is a Pentium III on meth.

HWGurus
    Quote Originally Posted by OBR View Post
    If you disable cores in windows, will it be the same? Maybe it has something to do with bios related problems while disabling?

Xtreme Member
    Can confirm its happening, I read the thread, and since I had been able to run 2 cores before without killing it I ignored it. But now after 2 weeks of testing on air(where I ran 2 cores) my 6Ghz chip is not able to run on 6 cores even @ 5Ghz. Would try and boot it with 1 core and kill it fast now, :p

Oh!!! and disabling HT doesnt degrade it(atleast not visible in a couple of weeks of testing, maybe it would degrade it after prolonged use)
    Last edited by thebanik; 06-24-2010 at 01:57 AM.
    EVGA Classified (MSI XPower), 980X (i5 661, i5 680, i7 950, E8600, QX9650, E8400), Thermalright Venomous X , Kingston Hyper X 2000Mhz, MSI 480GTX (5870, 4870x2, Visiontek 3870 x2, XFX 8800GT w/HR03GT), DELL E248WFP, CM Silent Power Pro 1000W, Seagate 1TB + 1TB + 500GB+500GB, Auzentech X-Plosion, CM Bench Station, AL 641, MX 518, New G15 Keyboard

Xtreme Addict
    Ok, guys, I asked this before but everyone ignored me...

So I'll ask it again.
    WHY HAS NO ONE BOTHERED TO CONTACT INTEL ABOUT THIS? And if you have, have they taken note of this problem?

Intel actually has links to the enthuiast community now, and some of you DO know people in the right places. If anyone wants this SERIOUS BUG (and this is why I held off on a 980x) fixed in time for the 990X, with a new stepping, then people NEED TO get Intel's attention. This is probably the MOST serious errata I've ever seen in a CPU, even worse than the Pentium 4's SNDS/GNDS problems at 1.65+ voltages...

I want to buy a 990x, but I sure WON'T buy one if you can kill the chip from disabling cores....some games don't even like multiple cores...

Xtreme Member
    I`m also wondering if the problem exists if the cores are disabled from windows, someone to try it ? .
    Also wondering if this problem will still exist in the coming soon i7 970.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've just got a new retail 980X (batch 3013A524) in the UK. Still waiting for my motherboard. I am hesitating whether to test it or not...

Xtreme Cruncher
    has anyone experienced when loading optimized defaults with a 980x
    the vdimm keeps getting set at 1.79v?i noticed when i loaded the Odefault
    it keep setting the vdimm at 1.79v and one other person i talked too had it do it too.
    is this some problem with the microcode of the bios's for the 980x's?any insight into this?

MY HEATWARE 76-0-0

Xtreme Member
    Continuing testing with 1C/1T, current setup under water.

In this test I didn't exceed Intel's specifications safe limits, which means a maximum Vcore of 1.375v.

In that way I wanted to see if there is going to be any sign of degradation or a killing of my cpu with what Intel has issued in its data sheet, here it is an abstract of it:

"Absolute Maximum and Minimum Ratings
    Table 2-6 specifies absolute maximum and minimum ratings, which lie outside the
    functional limits of the processor. Only within specified operation limits can functionality
    and long-term reliability be expected.
    At conditions outside functional operation condition limits, but within absolute
    maximum and minimum ratings, neither functionality nor long-term reliability can be
    expected. If a device is returned to conditions within functional operation limits after
    having been subjected to conditions outside these limits, but within the absolute
    maximum and minimum ratings, the device may be functional, but with its lifetime
    degraded depending on exposure to conditions exceeding the functional operation
    condition limits.
    At conditions exceeding absolute maximum and minimum ratings, neither functionality
    nor l ong-term reliability can be expected. Moreover, if a device is subjected to these
    conditions for any length of time then, when returned to conditions within the
    functional operating condition limits, it will either not function or its reliability will be
    severely degraded.
    Although the processor contains protective circuitry to resist damage from Electro-
    Static Discharge (ESD), precautions should always be taken to avoid high static
    voltages or electric fields."

1C/1T, 1M Super Pi stable @ 4.54 GHz Vcore @ 1.35v

1C/1T, 32M Super Pi stable @ 4.54 GHz, Vcore @ 1.35v

1C/1T Prime95 1 hour stable @ 4.54 GHz, Vcore @ 1.35v

After finishing those tests I restarted, entered into bios, set everything back at default and booted into windows, everything went fine.

Searching a way to test if there was any sign of degradation I used Cinebech.

Everything @ default with 6C/12T :

Not any sign of degradation in the performance of the cpu.

I would understand those killings under extreme overclocking conditions with ln2 and high Vcore but want really happened and George's friend lost his cpu by just enabling 1C/1T?

I don't know if Microcode Update Revision plays a significant role but mine is 5,

check it out with Everest.
    Last edited by xpatar; 06-28-2010 at 12:55 PM.
    Intel Core i7 980X @ 4.53 GHz 6C-12T / Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P / CORSAIR CMG6GX3M3A1866C7 / Ati Radeon Sapphire 5870 1GB DDR5 / CORSAIR CMFSSD-128GBG2D / LG CH08LS10 / Creative X-FI Titanium Fatality /Corsair CMPSU-850HXEU PSU (850W) / Silverstone Temjin SST-TJ07B Case / SAMSUNG SYNCMASTER P2350

Watercool HK CPU LGA1366 Rev. 3.0 LT / DD-CPX-Pro 12V Pump / Swiftech MCR320 360mm / EK-Multioption RES 250 Rev.2 - EK-ANTI-Cyclone / Scythe S-FLEX Fan SFF21G.

ENZOTECH SCW1 vs APOGEE GT

Xtreme Cruncher
    when you load optimized defaults does it set you memory vdimm at 1.79v?
    i dont know if its my memory or my 980x or my MB that is doing this.
    my Microcode Update Revision is 5 also.
    my ET6 will show 1.50v vdimm after loading O-defaults but in everest
    and the bios in the health status page(current temps and voltages)
    it shows 1600MHz 1.79v,but in MIT page it shows auto at 1.50v vdimm and
    memory frequency at 1333MHz?

MY HEATWARE 76-0-0

k|ngp|n/Sham my brothers
    tsan's CPU died a couple of days ago by playing with it with 2 cores as well....It's not getting into windows now with all cores plus HT....
    INTEL PWA FOR EVER

Dr. Who my arss...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    George, as far as I know both you and tsan have a EVGA Classified E760 . Your cpus died on it right ? Maybe is a motherboard's related problem ?

k|ngp|n/Sham my brothers
    No, my good one died by playing with 2 cores on a GIGABYTE X58 UD7 mobo....
    Then my other one died on an 760 mobo.

Yesterday I tested another one (crappy) on the 760 with 1 core and then with 2 cores and then full cores on the 760 and nothing happent.....It works fine......

So I think that it's CPU's related problem....."Something" inside the cpu dies/degrades VERY FAST when palying with 2 or 1 cores without HT and this doesn't happen to all cpu's.....
    My other one is still OK......
    INTEL PWA FOR EVER

Dr. Who my arss...

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by hipro5 View Post
    My other one is still OK......
    The Andre Yang killer CPU ? Good to hear it's still okay
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by radaja View Post
    when you load optimized defaults does it set you memory vdimm at 1.79v?
    i dont know if its my memory or my 980x or my MB that is doing this.
    my Microcode Update Revision is 5 also.
    my ET6 will show 1.50v vdimm after loading O-defaults but in everest
    and the bios in the health status page(current temps and voltages)
    it shows 1600MHz 1.79v,but in MIT page it shows auto at 1.50v vdimm and
    memory frequency at 1333MHz?
    @ default I get a vdimm of 1.6v 1333MHz, with 9-9-9-24-1T, the exact same reading I get with a dmm, at boot time and also within windows.
    @ XPM I get a vdimm of 1.64v 1866MHz with 7-8-7-20-2T, the same reading I get with a dmm again at boot and windows environment.
    Intel Core i7 980X @ 4.53 GHz 6C-12T / Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P / CORSAIR CMG6GX3M3A1866C7 / Ati Radeon Sapphire 5870 1GB DDR5 / CORSAIR CMFSSD-128GBG2D / LG CH08LS10 / Creative X-FI Titanium Fatality /Corsair CMPSU-850HXEU PSU (850W) / Silverstone Temjin SST-TJ07B Case / SAMSUNG SYNCMASTER P2350

Watercool HK CPU LGA1366 Rev. 3.0 LT / DD-CPX-Pro 12V Pump / Swiftech MCR320 360mm / EK-Multioption RES 250 Rev.2 - EK-ANTI-Cyclone / Scythe S-FLEX Fan SFF21G.

ENZOTECH SCW1 vs APOGEE GT

Xtreme Cruncher
    ok thanks.i just cant figure this out
    my ram spd doesnt even have 1600 1.79v
    so i think its my board thats confused

MY HEATWARE 76-0-0

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by hipro5 View Post
    tsan's CPU died a couple of days ago by playing with it with 2 cores as well....It's not getting into windows now with all cores plus HT....
    With all due respect, and mad props to your skillz, this thread is almost as stupid as the SNDS thread from years ago. Correction, his processor didn't die it, just like yours', was KILLED. That pretty much goes for all of the destroyed and or damaged processors.

""In this test I didn't exceeded Intel's specifications safe limits, which means a maximum Vcore of 1.375v.""

Then feeding one core how much voltage and still expecting it to live? I really hope any company, not just Intel, seeing their products abused tell folks killing these processors to piss-off!
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Addict
    Excuse me, but if you can throw your arrogance out the window, SNDS cost me THREE northwood processors. Only one ever saw the "max" vcore of 1.7v. I had one that SLOWLY degraded with just a vcore of 1.625v which was considered safe by everyone. Lost over 50 mhz on the max overclock with just that vcore.

(BTW when I mean "cost", I mean the processors worked, but they were worthless for overclocking)

Correction: you can call it " GNDS" (gradual) instead of sudden, as SNDS is basically complete death. I never had that--just "Gradual" degradation.

I even saw just 1.6v degrade a northwood...My P4 EE has degraded slightly with just 1.60v only...(and that's without any sort of vdroop mod !); it won't even do 3.6 ghz stable now, when it used to do 3.7...
    Last edited by Falkentyne; 06-29-2010 at 06:51 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    I have the ability to get a new 980X at about half price so I am trying to get a clear picture here.

If I leave all cores enabled, and HT enabled I should be pretty safe?
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberration View Post
    I have the ability to get a new 980X at about half price so I am trying to get a clear picture here.

If I leave all cores enabled, and HT enabled I should be pretty safe?
    yes, and ht off with all cores turned on is also very safe (i have done this a lot).

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
    Excuse me, but if you can throw your arrogance out the window, SNDS cost me THREE northwood processors. Only one ever saw the "max" vcore of 1.7v. I had one that SLOWLY degraded with just a vcore of 1.625v which was considered safe by everyone. Lost over 50 mhz on the max overclock with just that vcore.

(BTW when I mean "cost", I mean the processors worked, but they were worthless for overclocking)

Correction: you can call it " GNDS" (gradual) instead of sudden, as SNDS is basically complete death. I never had that--just "Gradual" degradation.

I even saw just 1.6v degrade a northwood...My P4 EE has degraded slightly with just 1.60v only...(and that's without any sort of vdroop mod !); it won't even do 3.6 ghz stable now, when it used to do 3.7...
    I get your point about useless for overclocking but some folks were warned! My own system was a 2.6GHz running at 3.46GHz with 1.575v. 1.65v got me to 3.6GHz so I didn't take the chance for 140MHz LOL! My Computer ran like that for about 1.5 years until it was replaced by an Athlon 3500+. The person I sold it to is still using it.

Why? I was told if the core needed more than 1.6v, it wasn't going to do much more anyway. 1.6+ = diminishing returns on all 5 Northwood I played with.

Yet, most folks here complaining about SNDS were using wayyyyyyyy over 1.7v and the thread is still here showing crazy folks running 1.8, 1.85 and even 1.9v after Volt Mods LOL! Then wondering why their processors died! Yours wasn't indicative of what was going on with the folks here killing processors and saying they died! You have a heart attack and die, you get shot or get hit by a car, you got killed! They were hitting it with a MAC truck.

Both that 2.6GHz Northwood and the Athlon3500+ are still being used by the folks I sold them to. Why would anyone not decrease the voltage before sending full voltage to one of four cores? With or without HT is moot. Killing processors this way has absolutely NO intrinsic value at all. Speaking of useMaybe some useless LN Xtreme overclocking stunt?

The name of the thread got it half way right, it is Kill your i7 980X at once but the RMA it part. I said I hoped someone at Intel was watching not for support but to see this as a form of fraud! This IS NOT a legit reason for an RMA! You may as well do this!

http://dl.maximumpc.com/galleries/co.../spark_415.jpg

Oh wait, never mind, the way I understand it this one still worked afterward-s Calling for a Fix for something that ain't broke is also kind of lame IMHO! Now folks with legit RMA's get lumped in with this lunacy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Read the first two pages of this thread before questioning the whether the RMAs were legit or not.

CPU dying on stock by only shutting a couple of cores off sure as hell sounds as legitimate RMA to me.
    As does to all guys who got the CPUs which suffer from the same phenomenon. Whether they applied excessive voltage
    is irrelevant. They were unable to shut cores off from the beginning, therefore it limited the CPUs functionality, regardless
    of whether disabling any of the cores seems reasonable or not.
    ..:Core i7 870///eVGA P55 Classified///VTX3D Radeon 6970///Asus Xonar D2X///16GB F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL///WD 6400AAKS 640Gb///Samsung F2 EcoGreen 1.5TB///Samsung F4 EcoGreen 2TB///Pioneer DVR 216///Seasonic X-series 850///Corsair Obsidian 800D///Logitech G15 rev.1///Logitech G400@Zowie G-TF Spawn///Philips 240SW:..

..:EK Supreme Acetal///Bitspower Black Freezer EIP55NSC///Magicool Pro III///S-Flex E@7v///Laing DDC-1T w/ EK Plexi top///EK Multioption 150:..

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast