Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hackintosh

Xtreme Member
    I think they included support for 5870 and gf 400 series in 10.6.4. But you will need to look around to find working string.
    Best way is to go to insanelymac and look there or google it.

Thanks I'll have a google tonight. What exactly is a string that I'm looking for?
    Thanks.

Xtreme Member
    Guide should explain how to edit apple.Boot.list so your card can work.

Ok thanks. Will let anyone know if I find something.

Well seems the newest version supports 5870s. Can anyone give me a quick step by step instructions to doing it. Also can I use the disk that came with a macbook pro to install? Thanks.

Xtreme CCIE
    Not sure on the legal status of this thread. Can anyone provide some insight on this?
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    the requirement is u buy the OS and have an apple branded computer, apple dosnt have to make it to have it apple branded put a sticker on it and u have an apple branded.

do you realise you just told OP to do something ilegal .... LOLL fail ....

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/macosx106.pdf the full max os x snow leopard license ....

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
    A. Single Use License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, unless you have purchased a Family Pack or Upgrade license for the Apple Software,
    you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-branded computer at a time. You
    agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-branded computer, or to enable others to do so.
    This License does not allow the Apple
    Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple
    computers at the same time.
    Last edited by Sn0wm@n; 07-16-2010 at 06:03 PM.
    WILL CUDDLE FOR FOOD

Quote Originally Posted by JF-AMD View Post
    Dual proc client systems are like sex in high school. Everyone talks about it but nobody is really doing it.

There is a big debate on wether this is legal or not. Some people say that it is illegal. Some say it is just against apples rules which can't do anything legally. Others say that you just need an apple sticker on it for it to be entirely legal and not breaking any of the rules. Obviously pirating this is illegal but I'm happy to buy it if it works. I tried iBoot but I just got stuck at a blank screen with fans really fast then tried in safe mode and got the little apple logo with blank screen and fans at full speed. This was using a temporary apple os which came with my sisters MacBook so that might be the problem. I might just buy the retail and see if that will work.

Xtreme CCIE
    I think this thread is going to be allowed to stay, well, with a bit of a twist. One big reason that STevil pointed out is that Apples EULA is not available at a point of sale until AFTER you purchase the software, and thus must be invalid. I think a Hackintosh is really the XS way to do Macs myself, so I'm hoping we can see some real technical dig on this.

Of course, we can only allow it provided the software is purchased, not borrowed from another Mac under that logic. More debate could probably be had about using borrowed software, but let's keep in mind that we don't want to be the trial case that decides the issue in Fugger's jurisdiction, OK? Theoretical debate is only fun until someone is slapped with a lawsuit.

So with that in mind, motas - you stopped breaking the EULA and bought the software so we can continue to discuss this, right?
    Last edited by Serra; 07-17-2010 at 08:45 AM.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:

I haven't been to the shopping centre yet and they don't sell it where I live. I would like to get it working and then buy it so I don't waste money but I think that pirating is unfair to companies and just means that development is way slower because they're not making enough money for r&d. It looks like I need a retail copy to install it anyway so I don't think I can pirate or use the oem copy. Has anyone got it to work on a i7 with a 5870?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sn0wm@n View Post
    do you realise you just told OP to do something ilegal .... LOLL fail ....

http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/macosx106.pdf the full max os x snow leopard license ....
    there ar 2 things wrong, it says "apple branded", it dose not say an "apple computer" or give a list of products that its allowed for. then in 80's IBM lost a case about ibm stopping non ibm computers from using their software, but apple just won a case about people reselling apples software and moding apples code. so if u buy OSX and do not resell it or distribute their code there is nothing that they can do about it and it would destroy their rep to target an individual for using their product, especially in a spot that they dont have a product for.

the EULA is also not legally binding if it goes against the laws of the region that u are in, so in the US and the EU its meaningless.

on topic, dose the software way work now, i had used a usb efi emulator previously and that worked nicely and did not require a boot loader or anything else u just selected its boot rom in the bios when u wanted to use OSX and that was it and there was nothing funny about the OS it just worked and needed no moding and it updated.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Nope. I haven't tried it again because nothings changed and I don't have a retail copy yet. Is it illegal to use a oem copy? Btw i'm in Australia so laws might be different here.
    Thanks.

Xtreme PITA to MM
    shoot me a pm... i'll get you setup.

i work with chameleon guys.

osx running on my sr2 NICELY

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitseries3 View Post
    shoot me a pm... i'll get you setup.

i work with chameleon guys.

osx running on my sr2 NICELY
    Quick question, did you find dualbooting osx and ____ (I guess you're doing win 7) difficult ? I've had issues with that in the past...
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme PITA to MM
    super simple.

I'll take you up on that. Thanks for everyones help so far.

I am Xtreme
    http://www.macintouch.com/reviews/efix/#legal

I've been jumped in the past by folks who love to steal $hit and lie to make themselves feel good or to say it is OK. This time though, I'm not all that happy to see Jobs and the gang doing this to keep prices artificially high. The last thing mister Jobs want is folks like Psystar undercutting them. Yes you should make a profit but there's something out of whack about your perceived Liberalness while acting worse than JP Morgan and or some Robber Barron LOL!

He should be whole heartily backing geeks building them (Hackintosh) for personal use. Psystar should do their own version of Linux LOL! Yet, some Geek buying a legal a Copy and installing it on their personal machine should be embraced, not looked at as doing something wrong! Increased sales, Free marketing and goodwill can only help them. It even "ups" the MAC coolness factor. My Avatar tells you what I think of this. Honestly though, I wish it was Open and jobs and the gang weren't so greedy.
    Last edited by Donnie27; 07-21-2010 at 06:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    there ar 2 things wrong, it says "apple branded", it dose not say an "apple computer" or give a list of products that its allowed for. then in 80's IBM lost a case about ibm stopping non ibm computers from using their software, but apple just won a case about people reselling apples software and moding apples code. so if u buy OSX and do not resell it or distribute their code there is nothing that they can do about it and it would destroy their rep to target an individual for using their product, especially in a spot that they dont have a product for.

the EULA is also not legally binding if it goes against the laws of the region that u are in, so in the US and the EU its meaningless.

on topic, dose the software way work now, i had used a usb efi emulator previously and that worked nicely and did not require a boot loader or anything else u just selected its boot rom in the bios when u wanted to use OSX and that was it and there was nothing funny about the OS it just worked and needed no moding and it updated.

so you are a lawyer i presume ????

because messing with the bios in order to run os-x is hacking in order to get the software to work wich is against the eula .... and i think there are even laws against that ....

Quote Originally Posted by motas View Post
    Nope. I haven't tried it again because nothings changed and I don't have a retail copy yet. Is it illegal to use a oem copy? Btw i'm in Australia so laws might be different here.
    Thanks.
    bingo ... check up on local software regulation laws and then base your judgement based on that and the apple eula
    Last edited by Sn0wm@n; 07-21-2010 at 06:26 AM.
    WILL CUDDLE FOR FOOD

Quote Originally Posted by JF-AMD View Post
    Dual proc client systems are like sex in high school. Everyone talks about it but nobody is really doing it.

Where would I check laws on software for australia? Its probably illegal since everythings illegal here.

Xtreme CCIE
    I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that if you went to a brick-and-mortar store, checked the outside of the box for an EULA, opened it up, and tried - but failed - to return it you have a stone-cold case that would hold up in any court system. At that point it would be fraud to insist you can't use it on your computer.

Xtreme Network:

Whenever the word hackintosh comes up some wanna-be lawyers chime in how the hackintosh community is breaking the law and how horribly Apple and Steve Jobs suffers from that.
    Give me a f**king break.
    Steve can send his iGoons with their iSticks to take away my store-bought copy of SnowLeopard.
    But, as I live in Texas, I have the right to shoot anyone who trespasses on my property and ask questions later.

Don't mess with Texas

I have SnowLeopard running as a VM in Virtualbox.
    My geekbench score is just below those of Fitseries3 as his final CPU speeds are higher than mine.
    I was able to update 10.6.0 to 10.6.4 using the ComboUpdate without any problems.
    I will work tonight on natively installing it on my SR-2.

I am working with Hackintosh give approximately one year. .the better motherboard is Gigabyte UD7A X58
    Asrock Z87 OC Formula 1,90 Bios | I 7 4770k @ 4700 | 2x Samsung 840 pro 128 Raid 0 | Nvidia Gtx 660 |
    Hackintosh

Quote Originally Posted by magnifico View Post

I am working with Hackintosh give approximately one year. .the better motherboard is Gigabyte UD7A X58
    You mean "the easier to hackintosh" not the better.
    You are right that it would have been much easier to get the UD7A (I was looking at overclocked watercooled models from Cyberpowerpc) but in the end I did not want to settle for "good" but aimed for "best".
    It will take me much more time and effort (versus the Kalkwalk on my GA45 UDP3/Lifehacker that I also have) with the SR-2 versus the UD7A.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast