Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 245watt tec

245watt tec

can this tec cool my phenom x4 965 for 24/7 use

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/24...tl=g30c105s187

it should be able to depending on your waterblock

waterblock

im buying the neq ek surprme hf plus i have a 3x 120 triple black ice steath rad. with delta fans at 3k rpm

also sould i buy a copper block between or direct die them

yes you need a copper cold plate between the cpu and the TEC, and its better if the cold plate is screwed to the block at quite high pressure.

also im still a noob with teks
    can my 900watt psu with 70amps on the 12v rails work or sould i be buying a meanwell to do this?

depends on how much you already have on the 12v rail

i have just the mobo and the water pump and the ati 4870 and 4 fans also the 2 hdd
    Last edited by Joffen12; 05-26-2010 at 10:50 AM.

Xtreme Member
    That, is actually a 226w Qmax TEC which at 12v is probably closer to 200w, and it would draw about 19A at 12v so no, don't bother trying to use your computer PSU, you'll need a meanwell with some good dedicated wiring 14-16GA stranded copper wire should do the trick. This should really be squished between two copper plates (hot plate and cold plate) with between 150-300 PSI, that is the get the best performance. You'll also need quite a good block and some decent radiators. But to get down to the point since the Phenom x4 965 is a 125w TDP part this won't give you much cooling room, you will quickly run past the limits of the TEC if/when you choose to overclock your system. Remember that Qmax is the highest theoretical amount of heat moved. Therefore depending on the circumstances you should expect probably 10-20w difference based on random variations. So given all those circumstances I wouldn't bother.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The 245w from frozen is quoted at Th - 50ºC it is more usual to use Th -27ºC but of course the TEC's don't look so good from the sellers point of view at Th - 27ºC it comes down to 225w.

The following figures are from the manufacturers spec sheet.
    If you run this at the normally accepted input power of 12v (roughly 75% power.) depending on the Dt you can achieve you might get 150w out of it, but it could be as low as 100w.

This does not mean it wont work...

The TDP of 125w is for all 4 cores, and obviously only applies if you run all four cores at the limit.
    • If you run benching stress tests you may encounter problems.
    • If you overclock excessively you may encounter problems.
    • If you have OC'd and play multithreaded games you may encounter problems.
    • If you use a lot of intensive/multithreaded apps all open at the same time you may encounter problems.

If your just a joe average user with a stock/mild OC machine you might wonder why everyone else is saying it wont work....it most probably will, and admirably so. Don't forget to insulate everything !!

As far as your PSU goes...
    Quote Originally Posted by TRICHEESE View Post
    depends on how much you already have on the 12v rail
    This is BAD advice and I suggest you ignore it...

The problem with using PC PSU's is the wiring as Flakspammer pointed out. PC PSU's are designed to run many small current devices so the wiring is low current generally only 8amp, 7amps for safety. They are not designed to run high current devices such as this TEC with a 24amp max. Don't get me wrong... there are ways of using modded PC PSU's but in the main, most people are better off with the advice that a proper dedicated PSU, not necessarily a meanwell, is the best course of action...it is really.

As regards your blocks...
    You can use them "as is" so long as they can completely cover the TEC with full contact. The problem, and I suspect it will be with your blocks, is that they often have a raised surface and that raised surface is often smaller than the TEC. If it is you will not have full complete contact on the TEC and you will need to use copper plates between the block and the TEC.
    The TEC must be completely in contact with the block with no edges hanging off.
    As usual there are some that say it will work whatever...and YES it may but you will get the best from the TEC if you observe this.
    TEC's generally need to be placed under a pressure of 150-300 p.s.i this is because in normal operation the "couples" inside the TEC vibrate if you don't curb this:-
    • The vibration at high frequency causes a small gap between the TEC and the block. This gap reduces the thermal heat transfer and obviously the TEC wont run so cold.
    • Over a long period of operation the vibration can actually shake the TEC to death by causing the solder joins to break.

Applying this necessary pressure (it is advised by ALL TEC manufacturers.) then causes a small problem because the pressure on the couples increases their resistance slightly. If you have not applied even pressure over the whole TEC surface some of the couples have a differing resistance to others, this difference can shorten the life of some of the couples and obviously also shortens the life of the TEC.

So it is important to use the correct pressure and also just as importantly to ensure it is correctly applied over the entire TEC surface.
    Last edited by zipdogso; 05-26-2010 at 04:42 PM.

ok so im gonna buy HIGHER tec then and get a meanwell where can i buy the tec from since forzencpu no longer showing the 400 one?

zipdogso, why is it bad advice? I have run 2 TEC's pulling ~10A each off one 12v rail before, and the psu is still running fine.
    On a different note i'm pretty sure most people who are often in the TEC forum are really pessamistic and always bashing others who post in the TEC forum.

Xtreme Member
    zipdogso, why is it bad advice? I have run 2 TEC's pulling ~10A each off one 12v rail before, and the psu is still running fine.
    On a different note i'm pretty sure most people who are often in the TEC forum are really pessamistic and always bashing others who post in the TEC forum.
    He's not bashing you lol. You just aren't reading and comprehending everything he has said. It's not the capability of the PSU to hold the amperage draw of the TEC that is in question it is the fact that the wires are of insufficient grade i.e. too small and will burn up IF he uses a TEC as large as he is planning to.
    Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    Nonsense,

There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Elloquin View Post
    the wires are of insufficient grade i.e. too small and will burn up IF he uses a TEC as large as he is planning to.

that is what i meant, 2 10A tecs in parallel on a normal 12v psu rail, the wires got a little warm but not anywhere near hot enough to burn up

do you know where i could buy the Peltiers from other then ebay?

Xtreme Member
    If you live in the United States (don't know if they ship internationally) you can look here:http://www.customthermoelectric.com/index.htm In comparison to other vendors they are expensive.
    Nonsense,

There is no spoon.

yeAH i live in the usa and thats the site im at right now so looking at the 400watt qmax one

Xtreme Enthusiast
    that is what i meant, 2 10A tecs in parallel on a normal 12v psu rail, the wires got a little warm but not anywhere near hot enough to burn up
    Well you are obviously not running 10A through them most people have the insulation melt over 8 amps.

Just recently someone posted a pic of just that, but I cant find it.

Unless of course your using the PCI-E wires and plugs which can take a bit more but most people want those for the GPU and dont have them available for TECs.

Tell me exactly what TECs you use and we will see if your really using 10amps...

Xtreme Member
    Here ya go Zip...this is the thread with the melted insulation http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...5&postcount=15
    Nonsense,

There is no spoon.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Joffen12 View Post
    yeAH i live in the usa and thats the site im at right now so looking at the 400watt qmax one
    That is the biggest TEC easily available at the mo'....

Quote Originally Posted by zipdogso View Post
    Well you are obviously not running 10A through them most people have the insulation melt over 8 amps.

Just recently someone posted a pic of just that, but I cant find it.

Unless of course your using the PCI-E wires and plugs which can take a bit more but most people want those for the GPU and dont have them available for TECs.

Tell me exactly what TECs you use and we will see if your really using 10amps...
    well if i said i was running 10A through them as that is what the ammeter read then i was probably running 10A through them, and i was using molex.

Xtreme Member
    well if i said i was running 10A through them as that is what the ammeter read then i was probably running 10A through them, and i was using molex.

LOL. and yet again you didn't answer his question. What were the specs of the TEC's you used for this maybe a link?
    Nonsense,

There is no spoon.

Xtreme Member
    It's not impossible to run 10A through the connector, but it would be a stupid idea to suggest for 24/7 operations. I had my 12709 connected to the 12v rail and the wires were hot, hot enough that I'd be worried to leave it going for a while.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by flak-spammer View Post
    It's not impossible to run 10A through the connector, but it would be a stupid idea to suggest for 24/7 operations. I had my 12709 connected to the 12v rail and the wires were hot, hot enough that I'd be worried to leave it going for a while.
    I think 10amps would start to make a standard 4 pin molex go slightly gummy but the wire insulation would go first.
    Your example is a good one 12709 at 12v is 7-7.25amps and I am not surprised your wires were on the rather hot side....

Xtreme Member
    It's better to use multiple 12V and GND wires and just cut of the molex connector and solder the TEC directly to the psu wires. For me this works fine with a swiftech 24A TEC using an old 2nd hand 30 euro enermax psu with 33A on the 12V. (Which I modified to supply 14V)

Just make sure that you use an A brand psu with enough Amps on the 12V. Its a lot cheaper than buying a meanwell psu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast