Thread: Looking for a decent Rollerball mouse

Xtreme Member

Looking for a decent Rollerball mouse

I've got an odd request, a friend of mine is looking for a higher end Rollerball mouse has anyone got any recommendations?

Also where would be a good place to look for them? Would be willing to pay for shipping although I'm based in the UK.

P.S. I'm not looking for a trackball mouse

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I guess they could still be useful in a clean room with devices that are ultra sensitive to LED light or infrared. Other than that, I get sick of them in a matter of days cleaning the damn rollers all the time. Why would anyone want one and then pay extra for a top dollar one? Grab one off ebay is my advice. Hell, you can probably get an entire old p3 computer with it.
    Aaron___________________________Wife________________________ HTPC
    intel i7 2600k_____________________AMD5000+ BE @ 3ghz___________AMD4850+ BE @ 2.5ghz
    stock cooling______________________CM Vortex P912_______________ Foxconn A7GM-S 780G
    AsRock Extreme 4_________________ GB GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G_______OCZ SLI 2gb PC6400
    4gb 1600 DDR3___________________ OCZ Plat 2GB PC6400___________Avermedia A180 HDTV tuner
    MSI 48901gb 950/999______________Tt Toughpower 600w___________ Saphire 4830
    Corsair HX620____________________ inwin allure case___________ ___ Coolmax 480w
    NZXT 410 Gunmetal________________Acer 23" 1080p________________ LiteOn BD player
    X2gen 22" WS
    ________________ ________________________________ nMediaPC 1000B case

Xtreme Guru
    Tell you friend to evolve...
    Project ZEUS II

Asus Rampage II Extreme
    Intel I7 920 D0 3930A @ 4.50GHz (21 X 214mhz)
    3 x 2GB G.Skill Trident 1600 @ 1716MHz (6-8-6-20-1N)
    2 x Asus HD 6870 CrossFire @ 1000/1100MHz
    OCZ Vertex 2 60GB | Intel X25-M 120GB | WD Velociraptor 150GB | Seagate FreeAgent XTreme 1.5TB esata
    Asus Xonar DX | Logitech Z-5500 | LG W2600HP 26" S-IPS LCD

Watercooling setup:
    1st loop -> Radiator: 2 x ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.25 with Alphacool HF 38 top | CPU: Swiftech Apogee XT | Chipset: Swiftech MCW-NBMAX | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV
    2nd loop -> Radiator: ThermoChill PA120.3 | Pump: Laing DDC-3.2 with Alphacool HF 38 top | GPU: 2 x EK FC-6870 | Tubing: Masterkleer 1/2" UV

Assembled in Mountain Mods Ascension Trinity
    Powered by Corsair Professional Series Gold AX1200

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Power5 View Post
    I guess they could still be useful in a clean room with devices that are ultra sensitive to LED light or infrared. Other than that, I get sick of them in a matter of days cleaning the damn rollers all the time. Why would anyone want one and then pay extra for a top dollar one? Grab one off ebay is my advice. Hell, you can probably get an entire old p3 computer with it.
    He wants a decent roller ball to pay FPS's I personally detest them after having to clean them every so often.

If there's any particularly good mice still out there I'd want to check them out

Xtreme Cruncher
    Ehhh, FPS's play 100 times better with a good optical mouse? Tell hem to have a look at the Razer Deathadder or the Logitech MX518

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Musho View Post
    Ehhh, FPS's play 100 times better with a good optical mouse? Tell hem to have a look at the Razer Deathadder or the Logitech MX518
    It's more his style, he plays at a very low sensitivity and rolls the ball with his wrist to make larger movement. It's bizarre but it really works for him. I thought I'd have a look for a decent one for him.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Razer Boomslang - best mouse I ever owned. You can still get them on eBay sometimes. I had the 2100dpi version made my Terratec, but theres a 1600dpi one and i think a 2000dpi one available too.

Xtreme Member
    I'm guessing he got a lot of time in at the arcade machines....

kensington makes a whole bunch of them, but from what I've read, even their top-tier models break pretty fast under regular usage and I imagine wrist-speed-rolling is gonna kill them pretty fast. I would advise going to a store and testing them out, but most stores don't display them on the floor. Actually.... If your friend is a bit of a DIY'er, I KNOW he can go and buy an arcade roller and a controller board and program it to suit his needs. It won't be cheap, but I imagine the build quality will be leaps better than the cheap plastic crap kensington makes.

http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm go to the "controls" section on the left and go to "trackballs", it may help.

On that page, there are a few ready to go trackballs like this: http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Innovati.../dp/B00004Z6T2 It's sorta ugly as sin, but its the exact same as the "kidsball" and since it is made for infants and the like, you could throw it against a wall and it'll probably come out shiny.

hope that helps a bit
    Last edited by anachlores; 05-27-2010 at 10:01 PM.
    Excessive and overwhelming tactical response