Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hidden arts inside micro chips

Xtreme Addict

Hidden arts inside micro chips

Developers of integrated circuits have fun... Amazing things have been discovered by National High Magnetic Field Laboratory.

Runaway Train (LeCroy MVV 200 chip)

The Shepherd (Intel 8207, a dual-port RAM controller chip )

The Slide Trombone (AMD 7990 Ethernet controller integrated circuit)

Big Mac Attack (Excalibur) (Motorola/IBM PowerPC 750 microprocessor)

This Bird's For You (Hewlett-Packard PA-RISC 7000-series microprocessor wafer)

R12000 California License Plate ( MIPS R12000 )

Cyrix 5x86 Chili Pepper (Cyrix 5x86 microprocessor)

Milhouse Van Houten (Silicon Image Sil154CT64 digital transmitter integrated circuit)

More of this is here:
    http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/creatures/index.html

Enjoy!
    Last edited by kl0012; 05-24-2010 at 05:43 AM.

I am Xtreme
    That is neat, their "signature" of sorts?
    fermiNow Dave will see FERMI where ever I go
    Quote Originally Posted by jbartlett323 View Post
    So please return to the "Darkside of the Moon" and check your "Pulse" while you wait for the "Animals" that will be "Obscured By Clouds". And watch me wave as I say "Wish You Were Here" in "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"

Nerdy Powerlifter
    Xtreme art? I think so!

Simply cool stuff. If anyone has more of this, post it!
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Addict
    so thats millhouse who stole my transistor ....

What I'd like is to see new art on new chips. That doesn't appear to happen much these days.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

NooB MOD
    This is awesome, yet somehow not surprising. It's like an invisible trademark
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Xtreme Mentor
    Nice ! Funny link, thanks

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Synthetickiller View Post
    Xtreme art? I think so!

Simply cool stuff. If anyone has more of this, post it!
    http://smithsonianchips.si.edu/chipfun/graff.htm

http://www.chipworks.com/gallery1.aspx

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Wow, talk about a stroll down the memory lane!

I remember a thread in a brazilian forum about this with these very same pics about 10 years ago. Xtremesystems never fails to remember how old you are.

Thanks for posting, kl0012.
    Murray Walker: "And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's McLaren as he enters the Swimming Pool."

James Hunt: "Well, that should put them out then."

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Back in the 80's/90's at CPQ all of the PCB layouts included an image of the code name silkscreened on the board (it was part of the layout design).

You could always tell the best designs because the images were always pulled from the final board spin. If you had a good design you went to market with a beta level board because it was so stable and the icon remained. Pretty sure the original prosignia was code named "grand slam" and there was a tennis racket on the board.
    While I work for AMD, my posts are my own opinions.

http://blogs.amd.com/work/author/jfruehe/

thats so bad ass

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the links!

Xtreme Member
    Wait, this is real? A lot of those seem very unbelievable. Cool if true.
    i7 920 D0 / Asus Rampage II Gene / PNY GTX480 / 3x 2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3 1600 / WD RE3 1TB / Corsair HX650 / Windows 7 64-bit

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Awesome stuff! Thank you for posting this thread, kl0012!
    Main Rig: Phenom II X6 1055T 95W @3562 (285x12.5) MHz, Corsair XMS2 DDR2 (2x2GB), Gigabyte HD7970 OC (1000 MHz) 3GB, ASUS M3A78-EM,
    Corsair F60 60 GB SSD + various HDDs, Corsair HX650 (3.3V/20A, 5V/20A, 12V/54A), Antec P180 Mini

Notebook: HP ProBook 6465b w/ A6-3410MX and 8GB DDR3 1600

Xtreme Member
    I go to that school and pass that building every day Neat stuff! Where did you find these? Or how is a better question!

[Project] Lateralus
    ------------------
    Intel i7 920 DO @4.2gz /H20
    EVGA Classified 760 /H20
    EVGA GTX275 715/1600 /H20
    6gb Corsair Dominator CL7
    Auzentech X-fi Forte
    Intel X25-M G2 80gb
    WD Black 1TB
    Corsair 1000HX
    Custom Silverstone TJ07

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Armitage View Post
    I go to that school and pass that building every day Neat stuff! Where did you find these? Or how is a better question!
    It is not that hard when you know what to look for ... One guy told me that he wrote his name in the chip developed by his firm, using metallic layers (not sure if that true). Then I decided to do a little research in Google ... as it turned out the stuff is pretty old.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    "fightoffyourdemons"

Xtreme Member
    Heatware

Steve Jobs: "We're better then you are.... we have better stuff."
    Bill Gates: "You don't get it Steve, that doesn't matter."
    -Pirates of Silicon Valley

Xtreme Member
    Haha very cool!

Xtreme Member
    Cool i wonder if the newer processors have this.
    System:

Core i5 750
    HD5850
    2x2GB DDR3 G.Skill (forget exact name )

"I would get down on my knees... grit my teeth... swallow my pride.... open wide... wet my lips... crack my knuckles.... and tie your shoe if you tell me!!!"

Quote form Top Gears host J. Clarksons DVD: America Vs Europe

While driving the Corvette ZO6.

"Its like having herpies great fun getting it, not too much fun to live with"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme X.I.P.
    awesome! thanks

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.FuzzyBallz View Post
    Cool i wonder if the newer processors have this.
    Thats what I was thinking...

Also, the Ascari A10 is a work of art itself.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    so how about mainstream chips? is there nothing on our intel amd ati and nvidia chips like this? if no, then why not?
    would be cool!

actually i think its a shame that chips from these 4 major companies dont have images edged onto the lid or packaging... just numbers and letters...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ElSel10 View Post
    Wait, this is real? A lot of those seem very unbelievable. Cool if true.
    Yeah, in some cases people have actually been fired because of it.
    Core i7 920, Gigabyte x58-USB3, Radeon 5850 [CF coming soon], 6GB OCZ Platinum, Corsair 40GB Force, 3x 2TB Spinpoint F4, Silverstone OP1000, Dell XPS Studio Case.

Alienware M11x.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    so how about mainstream chips? is there nothing on our intel amd ati and nvidia chips like this? if no, then why not?
    would be cool!

actually i think its a shame that chips from these 4 major companies dont have images edged onto the lid or packaging... just numbers and letters...
    they dont do it anymore for the most part because automatic wafer inspection tools think that the art is a dust particle and and mark every die as defective. you can go through some steps to get past it but its a waste of time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast