Thread: Would you buy this router?

Question Would you buy this router?

Summary:

I am trying to make a product recommendation for someone on a budget. I made the point that we'd be expecting something in the $50-100 range. Client gives me the feeling that they would like something that is near the bottom of that range. A cheap, wireless G router from ASUS running open source firmware may be the ticket, but I need some input as to its signal strength and overall performance.

1. It has to be wireless
    2. It has to be cheap ($50-70)
    3. It has to give a quality connection throughout the house

I know this can be a tall order to fill, but I have to try. It is not a large house. It is old, built around 100 years ago.

I'd prefer they just get something with multiple antennas and 802.11n however reliable routers with those features are going to be too expensive.

You could save money by going with 802.11g. They will have a 7Mbit internet connection. They will not be moving large files through the house, at least at this time. 99% of traffic will come from the internet.

I have my doubts about super cheap routers, but there may be a diamond in the rough. Will the ASUS WL-520gU fit the bill? Currently $32.00 after $10.00 Mail-In Rebate. How is the signal quality? A lot of people say it has to be running DD-WRT or Tomato firmware to be stable. That's not a problem as long as this can be a set it and forget it piece of hardware - this is being installed at a client's house and it absolutely has to be invisible to them. There is very little tech knowledge in the house.

What kind of throughput can g routers produce with WPA2/AES security enabled? If it's better than 7Mbit and signal quality is good then we're golden.

Can an inexpensive 802.11g router running open-source firmware be "set it and forget it" when set up for someone else? If it has to be tended to in any way, forget it.

Thanks guys
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

I just had a look at Newegg and was surprised to find quite a few "802.11n" routers under $50. My intuition tells me to be suspicious of heavy cost-cutting (and corner-cutting). Is that justified?
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Member
    The last time I played with N was a few years ago. The first question I'd have about it is whether or not N is official yet or not. And then I'd be concerned over it being N or a draft N. To note, a Wireless N Linksys(cisco) Router was running $140. Unless N has finally been drafted, I'd be very concerned about a $50 dollar N being of shoddy make and possibly having more downtime than up.
    ==========================================
    XClio 1000, Gigabye GA-MA790XT-UD4P
    AMD Phenom II 955BE @3.2 GHz, Noctua NH-D14
    CORSAIR 950TX 950W, 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600
    Sapphire 4850x2 CFX
    Win7 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by stangracin3 View Post
    and the more i type the more BS comes out of my keyboard. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by aythrea View Post
    The last time I played with N was a few years ago. The first question I'd have about it is whether or not N is official yet or not. And then I'd be concerned over it being N or a draft N. To note, a Wireless N Linksys(cisco) Router was running $140. Unless N has finally been drafted, I'd be very concerned about a $50 dollar N being of shoddy make and possibly having more downtime than up.
    N is finalized. And as far as I know it hasn't changed in the 2-3 years we have had draft devices. All draft devices were grandfathered in to be certified now.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Anyone know anything about this little guy?
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

I am Xtreme
    it might be ratified but most things still say 802.11n Draft 2.0 which is the old stuff, the final N has changed a bit but is backwards compatable with draft devices.

first thing to remember is the Asus is a single antenna unit and as such is not MIMO nor 802.11n, it is just regular and only capable of some extremely yucky speeds and very very poor performance with regards to penetration, and speed. and will not handle reflection/refraction very well at all.

i would go to the DD-WRT website and find the list of compatable devices and find a dual antenna MIMO radio that can use the DD-WRT and load it up and have a nice router.
    there are tons out there for under $50, Buffalo and Asus make several along with linksys.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Alright, is MIMO something that is highly recommended?

Again, I read on Smallnetbuilder than Draft 802.11n devices are grandfathered in and are certified as normal N devices as nothing in the specs changed in regards to the hardware.

I will have a look there, thanks.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340