Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: I need a good Anti Mac Argument?

  1. #1
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Virginia, US
    Posts
    1,902

    Question I need a good Anti Mac Argument?

    Every once in a while I run into a snobby mac user who tries to argue with me why I should use a mac instead of a PC, and won't drop it. I'm lazy about the subject and don't really care to do a lot of research on the subject. All I know is I have a HUGE pile of PC games and every time I touch a mac, it spits out an error message and the interface feels incredibly alienating and uncomfortable.

    This isn't a mac hating thread!!! So please don't go off on mac hating rants. I just personally don't like using them and feel that they're over priced... but that's never a good enough answer for a mac user. They always think they know better than me and I should shut up and listen to them. So I just want a point I can make that will shut them up and stop bugging me. That's it. Again, please!! no mac hating replies! That's not what this thread is for, and I'm not interested in telling mac users to use PC's. I just want a good point to make that will get them to bugger off.
    This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace.

  2. #2
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    401
    Just carry around a copy of this picture:

    Gaming Box

    Ryzen R7 1700X * ASUS PRIME X370-Pro * 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 * XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB * Corsair HX620 * 250GB Crucial BX100 * 1TB Seagate 7200.11

    EK Supremacy MX * Swiftech MCR320 * 3x Fractal Venture HP-12 * EK D5 PWM

  3. #3
    Devil kept pokin'
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    South Kakalaky
    Posts
    1,294
    We have guns
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #4
    Xtreme Mentor
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,773
    Just say that u dont want a Mac because u enjoy gaming and enjoy playin around with PC hardware
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
    Groucho Marx



    i know my grammar sux so stop hitting me

  5. #5
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    425
    those 2 pics are hilarious

  6. #6
    So you use a PC and don't why it's better than a Mac? Here's an idea: Put your PC against their Macs. Let them choose whichever app they want, and then own them.

  7. #7
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    USA mn
    Posts
    324
    i'll just leave these right here..




  8. #8
    Xtreme Mentor
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,838
    That Portal sequence is f'n perfect.

    Quote Originally Posted by Judaeus Apella View Post
    This isn't a mac hating thread!!! So please don't go off on mac hating rants.
    You reap what you sow, my friend.

    For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

    ..

  9. #9
    Xtreme Cruncher
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Posts
    491
    Say something about how your computer is more powerful and costs less

    My friends mac pro desktop is nice, but it doesnt have the ability to upgrade the GPU, and of the options he does have, they are like double the cost of PC GPU's.

    I think his M.Pro desktop cost him like $4000+, and my $1500 PC is faster in 3DMark by a large margin.

    Q9300 [Crunch] / XFX GTX285 [Fold] / EVGA 750i
    Two 250GB 7200 / 4GB XMS2 800 / 1Kw XPS PSU / Freezer Pro 7
    10,797 3DMark Vantage / Scythe 120mm Case fans / Vista U. 64
    PS3 - 700 Work Units and going strong!, XPS 720 H2C Case
    Crunching 24/7 on Q9300....might upgrade to an i7

  10. #10
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    319


    sorry I just had to...

  11. #11
    YouTube Addict
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Klaatu barada nikto
    Posts
    18,441
    1. Apple software licenses. [aka everything you create on your Apple products belongs to Apple]
    2. Every bit of software you buy for it, will not work on any Apple product in 2-3 years.
    3. Every website you access and login into; is logged and sent back to Apple in batches [every 12-14 days] {set up a hub and a PC or Linux box with wire shark and you'll see that is true}
    4. Why spend 3 times more for the same hardware?
    5. Do you need a reason 5?
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

  12. #12
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,147
    There is always this video:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks-N4rI_1RU
    |-------Conner-------|



    RIP JimmyMoonDog

    2,147,222 F@H Points - My F@H Statistics:
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...e=Conman%5F530

  13. #13
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,772
    Rather than trying to argue why Mac's are inferior, it is easier to explain why they don't meet your specific needs.

    For me, the main things I do with my computer are:
    1. Watch HD movies
    2. Use my computer with Windows 7 Media Center as a TV/DVR
    3. Overclock
    4. Play games
    5. Upgrade hardware and cooling

    1. Video decoding software is far more advanced for PC's, Mac users are mostly left using VLC and I haven't even seen anyone who has GPU decoding working.
    2. Between SageTV, MythTV, Windows 7 Media Center, etc. Mac's simply can't compete in this category
    3. Mac's are obviously not the right choice for overclockers
    4. The majority of PC games aren't available for Mac, Mac's just aren't a viable option for serious gamers.
    5. Also not an option on Mac's

    It just so happens that for my usage patterns Mac's aren't even a consideration.

    File Server:
    Super Micro X8DTi
    2x E5620 2.4Ghz Westmere
    12GB DDR3 ECC Registered
    50GB OCZ Vertex 2
    RocketRaid 3520
    6x 1.5TB RAID5
    Zotac GT 220
    Zippy 600W

    3DMark05: 12308
    3DMark03: 25820

  14. #14
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Heart of Europe
    Posts
    1,992
    1) Overpriced
    2) Bugged, but you dont see that (cause its hidden, but yes, bugs are still there)
    3) Compatibility not exactly best..
    4) Games?
    5) No OC? No tuning?
    i7 930 D0 - 4,2 GHz + Megashadow
    3x4GB Crucial 1600MHz CL8
    Foxconn Bloodrage rev. 1.1 - P09
    MSI HAWK N760
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    SeaGate ES.2 1TB + 1TB External SeaGate
    Corsair HX 850W (its GOLD man!)
    ASUS STX + Sennheiser HD 555 (tape mod)

    Old-new camera so some new pics will be there.. My Flickr My 500px.com My Tumblr

  15. #15
    Xtreme Cruncher
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bloomfield
    Posts
    1,968
    http://collegetimes.us/top-10-reasons-why-mac-sucks/
    i think the biggest reason not to buy a mac is the fact that it is essentially linux gone proprietary.

  16. #16

  17. #17
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumbucket843 View Post
    http://collegetimes.us/top-10-reasons-why-mac-sucks/
    i think the biggest reason not to buy a mac is the fact that it is essentially linux gone proprietary.
    I agree completely. If you really want a Mac that doesnt suck, build a Hackintosh. It will save you around $1000 at least. Or build a Linux system, and give it an OSX theme. Then it will actually be compatible with something

    Corsair HX620 ::: i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz ::: Asus P8Z68-V ::: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
    16gb G.Skill Ripjaws ::: eVGA GTX 460
    Crucial M4 64gb ::: 5tb HDDs

  18. #18
    YouTube Addict
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Klaatu barada nikto
    Posts
    18,441
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

  19. #19
    Xtreme Cruncher
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    840
    The simple answer to almost any arguement? Nvidia versus ATI, Mac versus PC, Intel versus AMD.. I always answer the same

    I believe that a ____ is better for ME. Emphasis the me. Then they can't argue that you are wrong. It's your opinion .

    If they argue that you are wrong because AMD is better than Intel or whatever, then I always respond with "if the product you are talking about is so much better than the competition, why does the company still have competition? . Any extremely successful product will ruin it's competition if it really is that great of a product. Since it's extremely rare for someone to really have that "one product to rule them all", it's safe to bet against them.

    Just like most things in the world, there is a better and best product for a given job. Intel may be best at world community grid, but that doesn't make it the best product period.

  20. #20
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,065
    people still using IMac nowadays? it's already 10 years past millennium ...

  21. #21
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurika, Inc.
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step View Post
    3. Every website you access and login into; is logged and sent back to Apple
    Nothing that other companies aren't also doing in cooperation with the US gov't - like Google and other search engines. Doesn't matter PC or Mac, they're equal opportunity eavesdroppers. Check the Military Commissions Act, Homeland Security, and Patriot Acts, etc. There isn't a damned thing you do on the 'net or phone now that isn't tracked and recorded by corps & gov't agencies, unbeknownst to most people.

    @ OP - why do you need to give these people any answer beyond what you've already said? If you don't want a Mac and you've said so, then that's that.

    AUDIO-ASUS Xonar DX SPKR-audioengine 5 CASE-Cooler Master Stacker RC-810-SSN1 CPU-E8400 - Q815 @ 4 GHz @ 1.23V FANS-Noctua GPU-EVGA GTX 660/2GB HDD-Raptor 150 ADFD + WD1600YS HSF-Noctua NH-U12 LCD-NEC 20WMGX² @ 1680x1050 MOBO-abit IP35 Pro - BIOS 16 + bolt mod OS-XP Pro x64 PSU-XFX 750W Black Edition RAM-G.Skill PC2-8800 Pi 2x2GB @ 1,128 @ 1.92v TIM-Arctic Cooling MX-2 UPS-TRIPPLITE SU1000XLa + Noctua fan mod

  22. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dover,De.
    Posts
    97
    this would be a good one for sure !!!

    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=252533

  23. #23
    Xtreme Cruncher
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bloomfield
    Posts
    1,968
    Quote Originally Posted by aztec View Post
    Nothing that other companies aren't also doing in cooperation with the US gov't - like Google and other search engines. Doesn't matter PC or Mac, they're equal opportunity eavesdroppers. Check the Military Commissions Act, Homeland Security, and Patriot Acts, etc. There isn't a damned thing you do on the 'net or phone now that isn't tracked and recorded by corps & gov't agencies, unbeknownst to most people.
    yes, but the difference is that apple sells your private data and it ends up in the hands of companies that potentially could employ you. therefore a mac could potentially lose you a good job.

    AFAIK the gov is not tracking you unless they feel the need to. they can, but the biggest offenders are private companies.
    @ OP - why do you need to give these people any answer beyond what you've already said? If you don't want a Mac and you've said so, then that's that.
    i know this wasnt directed at me but i have ran into a lot of people and i have friends who think mac's are better and the only thing they have to back it up is the fact that they are made by apple or some argument that makes no sense. these people need to be informed and only their tech competent friends can help.

  24. #24
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurika, Inc.
    Posts
    466
    If you think the gov't and corps are not tracking us whenever they want and for no legit reason, just check out those laws. They don't even get FISA approval anymore thanks to the bogus "War on Terra!" excuse. BTW, those laws are unconstitutional (violation of free speech, privacy, search & seizure, etc.)

    If you're online today, anything you've ever done on the 'net is obtainable by companies or anyone who really wants to get it. Apple is not the only one doing it.

    Just saying that's not a good argument not to buy a Mac.

    AUDIO-ASUS Xonar DX SPKR-audioengine 5 CASE-Cooler Master Stacker RC-810-SSN1 CPU-E8400 - Q815 @ 4 GHz @ 1.23V FANS-Noctua GPU-EVGA GTX 660/2GB HDD-Raptor 150 ADFD + WD1600YS HSF-Noctua NH-U12 LCD-NEC 20WMGX² @ 1680x1050 MOBO-abit IP35 Pro - BIOS 16 + bolt mod OS-XP Pro x64 PSU-XFX 750W Black Edition RAM-G.Skill PC2-8800 Pi 2x2GB @ 1,128 @ 1.92v TIM-Arctic Cooling MX-2 UPS-TRIPPLITE SU1000XLa + Noctua fan mod

  25. #25
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,938
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJon89 View Post
    Rather than trying to argue why Mac's are inferior, it is easier to explain why they don't meet your specific needs.

    For me, the main things I do with my computer are:
    1. Watch HD movies
    2. Use my computer with Windows 7 Media Center as a TV/DVR
    3. Overclock
    4. Play games
    5. Upgrade hardware and cooling

    1. Video decoding software is far more advanced for PC's, Mac users are mostly left using VLC and I haven't even seen anyone who has GPU decoding working.
    2. Between SageTV, MythTV, Windows 7 Media Center, etc. Mac's simply can't compete in this category
    3. Mac's are obviously not the right choice for overclockers
    4. The majority of PC games aren't available for Mac, Mac's just aren't a viable option for serious gamers.
    5. Also not an option on Mac's

    It just so happens that for my usage patterns Mac's aren't even a consideration.
    I like your approach. No hate there, just facts.
    GB 790XTA UD4
    GSkill Pi Black 2000 Cas9
    ASUS 4870
    Enermax Revolution 1050+





    http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=67661

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •