Thread: Why does technology fail so hard?

Life's Replay

Why does technology fail so hard?

I'm having a terrible week and I keep finding things that piss me off.

- Why, in the year 2010, am I still having trouble deleting files off my computer? I have a bunch of files that are apparently being "used by another program" and can therefore not be moved or deleted. I do not wish to boot into safe mode and then use the command prompt FOR DELETING A DAMN FILE THAT IS CLEARLY NOT BEING USED BY ANYTHING ELSE. Why do I constantly feel like I'm not in control of my computer? Why do I have to resort to third-party software, that doesn't work anyways, to 'unlock' files on my own computer? Why do these programs not support 64-Bit operating systems?

- Have the dear people on YouTube gone completely mad? There used to be a time when I could select the quality that I wanted by videos to be played at by default. Not so anymore. Back when YouTube wasn't managed by a team of IQ-relieved monkeys, it was possible to choose between three settings in your account's control panel: Always play low quality, choose depending on connection speed, always play high quality. Now, I, as a privileged member of the international web community, am grateful for the internet that I have, a 20mb connection that pales in comparison to Sweden's over-the-top instant fiberglass optical nuclear powered mega death internet, BUT IS SURE AS HELL ENOUGH TO PLAY A YOUTUBE VIDEO. There are now two settings: "always play low quality" and "always choose the best option for me based on my player size" which basically means that I no longer have any control over the videos that I watch. I have a few playlists lined up that are great for playing in the background, minimized, on my already struggling computer. Sadly, thanks to YouTube's vast arsenal of bad ideas, I suffer from ear cancer on a daily basis.

Thanks, s.
    Self-proclaimed and convincing.

Intel i5 760 | Prolimatech Genesis CPU Cooler | EVGA GTX 480 | Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme Plus II GPU Cooler | Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 | Crucial C300 64GB SSD | 5 TB+ of storage | Corsair Obsidian 550d | Corsair HX850

13" Macbook Pro

Nikon D90 | Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 Macro HSM | Nikon SB-900 | Braun 5000

Twitter | Life's Replay

you could use the KillBox to delete files you have problems with. it deletes everything you type in its box. everything. accidently deleted my desktop one time and sat back and watched windows reinstall it then killbox delete it again then windows reinstall it and so on for 7 minutes til killbox gave up. was so funny and scary at the same time.
    Intel C2Q Q9550 2.83ghz :: Intel DQ45CB :: 4 x 2gb OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC :: ASUS EAH5850 :: Thermaltake TR2 RX 750w :: Western Digital Caviar Black 4 x 750gb in RAID 10
    Intel e3-1235 3.3ghz :: Intel s1200kp :: 4gb kingston hyperX 1600mhz :: WD 500gb Cavier Green
    Intel i7-3770k 4.4ghz :: msi z77ma-g45 :: 8 gb patriot Signature 1600mhz :: 160gb WD Cavier :: 5830 + 5870 CF :: Antec Earthwatts 650w

"...all men die, and no brave man lets death frighten him from his desire..."

Life's Replay
    Thanks for the tip, but it doesn't work. It turns out Killbox managed to delete your desktop for seven minutes but my one .rar file? HA!

Intel i5 760 | Prolimatech Genesis CPU Cooler | EVGA GTX 480 | Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme Plus II GPU Cooler | Corsair Vengeance 4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 | Crucial C300 64GB SSD | 5 TB+ of storage | Corsair Obsidian 550d | Corsair HX850

13" Macbook Pro

Nikon D90 | Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 Macro HSM | Nikon SB-900 | Braun 5000

Twitter | Life's Replay

Wanna Pull My Finger?
    if your having to go into safe mode to delete a file it either is a service or it has a virus in it. Best just to go in to safe mode and delete it.
    Donate to Xtreme Systems!

Now Showing:
    Gigabyte x48-DQ6, Q6600,OCZ 1066 Reapers,2 750gb seagate 7200.11 hd, BFG 8800GTS 512,PC P&C 750 Quad psu, 24" Sceptre lcd, Antec 900

my wife's system now!
    Intel C2D 6400, Zotac Matx mobo, 1gb kingston mem, Nvidia 7050, I Feel really Good now!
    Jon C2D 6600 Zotac mobo 1gb mem............................................... ................. HTPC qx6700@3.0ghz
    Annabelle Amd 3800+@2.4ghz, Biostar mobo, 1gb ocz pc4500 beta's................. Optyx2 opty165@ 2.1 ghz

'Want a real high?
    Come crunch WCG and you'll feel like your on QuadCaine"

First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Even safe mode might not work. If you have CCleaner or Spywareterminator, they have tools inside that can facilitate the removal of nasty files.

There is a manual way without doing that. Download Process Explorer, then click Find > Handle or DLL... do a search for your file. Click View > Show Lower Pane (dont disable it if it is enabled), navigate to the process, look for that file, right click on the file and click Close Handle.

Life's Replay
    Quote Originally Posted by damha View Post
    Even safe mode might not work. If you have CCleaner or Spywareterminator, they have tools inside that can facilitate the removal of nasty files.

There is a manual way without doing that. Download Process Explorer, then click Find > Handle or DLL... do a search for your file. Click View > Show Lower Pane (dont disable it if it is enabled), navigate to the process, look for that file, right click on the file and click Close Handle.

I found and closed four handles, explorer.exe was hogging my .rar file. Still didn't help though, no more handles can be found and I still can't delete them.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeRadical View Post
    Already tried, didn't work. Grr.
    Last edited by inCore; 05-21-2010 at 04:10 AM.

13" Macbook Pro

Twitter | Life's Replay

Wanna Pull My Finger?
    if you have another machine available to you put the drive in it and access the file from the second pc's os and delete it.
    Donate to Xtreme Systems!

Now Showing:
    Gigabyte x48-DQ6, Q6600,OCZ 1066 Reapers,2 750gb seagate 7200.11 hd, BFG 8800GTS 512,PC P&C 750 Quad psu, 24" Sceptre lcd, Antec 900

my wife's system now!
    Intel C2D 6400, Zotac Matx mobo, 1gb kingston mem, Nvidia 7050, I Feel really Good now!
    Jon C2D 6600 Zotac mobo 1gb mem............................................... ................. HTPC qx6700@3.0ghz
    Annabelle Amd 3800+@2.4ghz, Biostar mobo, 1gb ocz pc4500 beta's................. Optyx2 opty165@ 2.1 ghz

'Want a real high?
    Come crunch WCG and you'll feel like your on QuadCaine"

First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

Xtreme Addict
    This is my guessing, maybe is due to the security permissions.

Right-click folder > Properties > Security > Advance > Owner

Select Administrators
    Tick Replace owner on subcontainers and objects
    Click OK

if Killbox cant delete it something is seriously wrong
    Intel C2Q Q9550 2.83ghz :: Intel DQ45CB :: 4 x 2gb OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC :: ASUS EAH5850 :: Thermaltake TR2 RX 750w :: Western Digital Caviar Black 4 x 750gb in RAID 10
    Intel e3-1235 3.3ghz :: Intel s1200kp :: 4gb kingston hyperX 1600mhz :: WD 500gb Cavier Green
    Intel i7-3770k 4.4ghz :: msi z77ma-g45 :: 8 gb patriot Signature 1600mhz :: 160gb WD Cavier :: 5830 + 5870 CF :: Antec Earthwatts 650w

"...all men die, and no brave man lets death frighten him from his desire..."

Xtremeish
    I have felt this before. We all have probably and it's just as annoying every time.
    Aber ja, naturlich Hans nass ist, er steht unter einem Wasserfall - James May
    Hardware: Gigabyte GA-Z87M-D3H, Intel i5 4670k @ 4GHz, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX, Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II, Corsair HX 650W, Samsung 830 256GB, Silverstone Precision -|- Cooling: Noctua NH-C12P SE14

Sometimes a file will remain marked as open without anything even using it. In such cases, it is sometimes possible to resolve the problem by deleting the file in another machine or OS install. Some times you must format the disk. I had that happen on my laptop once with a 600-some megabyte data file. That was back when that mattered--it had a 20GB disk.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Oh! Thats a different problem. You (might!) have invalid characters in your filename and windows won't even recognize it as a file because it has an invalid name :/

http://www.purgeie.com/delinv/dldelinv.htm

I think there was a free version but I have no idea what it was called.

Life's Replay
    After a random amount of restarts and half a million futile attempts to delete the file, Windows graciously decided to grant me permission to delete the file. I think we can add this to the list of secrets that Bill Gates is taking to the grave. Thanks to all of you for the suggestions though, I'll keep them all somewhere for when this happens next time, which is of course very soon.

13" Macbook Pro

Twitter | Life's Replay

of the Strawhat crew.
    I've always heard that it's usually the user.. not the tech.

But seriously, I haven't had this issue since WinXP... odd that it's still around.

XtremeSystems BF3 Platoon - Any XS member is welcome.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by inCore View Post
    I'm having a terrible week and I keep finding things that piss me off.

- Why, in the year 2010, am I still having trouble deleting files off my computer? I have a bunch of files that are apparently being "used by another program" and can therefore not be moved or deleted.
    Switch to linux

Quote Originally Posted by inCore View Post
    Why does technology fail so hard?
    technology doesnt fail, people always thinking their idea of making something better do

3DMARK01 - 8,317 New score not yet published
    3DMARK03 - 8,474