Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nfs shift uses hardware acceleration !!!

Xtreme Addict

Nfs shift uses hardware acceleration !!!

I did some testing with the PhysX performance monitor http://developer.nvidia.com/object/agperfmon_home.html

I'm using PhysX driver 9.09.0814

http://downloads.guru3d.com/nVIDIA-P...load-2354.html

NOTE: NFS SHIFT INSTALLS 9.09.072 driver that doesn't work w/ AGEIA CARDS PERIOD.

AGEIA PPU is only in use when @ the TRACK

Blue light indicate cards is in use

This pic shows HARDWARE DIRECT MEMORY ACCESS

This pic shows HARDWARE ULTILIZATION

This pic shows EVENT COUNT(Calls to ppu)

FPS didn't change but the driving is totally different.Tire's and damage are accelerated w/ the AGEIA ppu.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Can you define "driving is totally different"? Like the driving physics is different or just when you crash, it's different?
    A wiseman once said, "If Bible proves the existence of God, then comic books prove the existence of Superheros."

Xtreme Addict
    I feel the tire grip as if they were connected to me,when cornering this is crucial.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Hell Hound View Post
    I feel the tire grip as if they were connected to me,when cornering this is crucial.
    whoa, that is awesome! i don't usually like driving games on the pc, but i might have to give this one a try now...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Xtreme Member
    So, they cant do this on multicore CPUs?
    System: Core I7 920 @ 4200MHz 1.45vCORE 1.35VTT 1.2vIOH // EVGA x58 Classified E760 // 6GB Dominator GT 1866 @ 1688 6-7-6-18 1T 1.65V // Intel X25 80GB // PCP&C 750W Silencer
    Cooling: Heatkiller 3.0 LT CPU block // 655 Pump // GTX360 Radiator
    Sound: X-FI Titanium HD --> Marantz 2265 --> JBL 4311WXA's
    Display: GTX480 // Sony GDM-FW900

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock&Roll View Post
    So, they cant do this on multicore CPUs?
    I don't think that this has to do with the cores but rather the calculations needed for this effect to occur.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Xtreme Addict
    I believe Cpu is not fast enough for dynamic physx,static yes but predetermined effects are not realistic.Medal of honor airborne shows this to be true,look @ how the rigid body effects look horrible in software mode.Bodies flying 30ft in the air and such.With hardware you can see the character arm and weapon bob in a more realistic manner and the bodies fall more naturally.
    Last edited by Hell Hound; 05-19-2010 at 04:44 PM.

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    Hmm. Might just need to steal back that 8800GT-256 from my sister, to use as a PPU when I upgrade my graphics setup. That sounds really cool to have non-eye-candy physics.

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

Xtreme Enthusiast
    How does that actually work though? Physics, whether it's GPU or AGEIA, I thought they focus on effect physics. How would it actually affect the driving physics? I've played that game for about 20 hours with a G25, it felt pretty good. And if this was true, wouldn't having a PPU give you a big advantage racing online?
    A wiseman once said, "If Bible proves the existence of God, then comic books prove the existence of Superheros."

Xtreme Member
    I don't understand.

Xtreme Addict
    Software only for multiplayer is your answer.If you can try it out and tell me what do you feel,that would be nice.One run w/ dedicated ppu,one run w/out it shouldn't take long.

@munim I can tell how much pressure is needed for GAS/BRAKES much better.
    Last edited by Hell Hound; 05-19-2010 at 05:29 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    My friend, I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but no PhysX gimmicks will transform the game physics (I mean how the car handles, to put it shortly) into something more "realistic" or something. It all boils down to engine coding, tyre behaviour moddeling, etc.

If you want acceptable, fun physics in Shift all you'll have to do is go to www.nogripracing.com and download a simple mod since this game is heavely based on ISI's gMotor2 engine (rFactor, GTR2, Race, GTL) and made by the guys who left SimBin.
    Last edited by Caparroz; 05-19-2010 at 05:31 PM.
    Murray Walker: "And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's McLaren as he enters the Swimming Pool."

James Hunt: "Well, that should put them out then."

Xtreme Addict
    The PhysX api has Soft Bodies, Self-collision and damping support

Last edited by Hell Hound; 05-19-2010 at 05:36 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The PhysX api has Soft Bodies, Self-collision and damping support

It may have all that but it doesn't work like this.

An engine may be very powerful and allow a lot of things but you have to input a lot of data to it for the cars and tracks to behave accordingly. Depending on the data you feed it the game or mod can be very accurate or very arcadey.

Take gMotor2 for example. It's a very powerful, flexible and moddable engine despite it's age. There are, literally, hundreds if not thousands of mods for all the games based on it. Some are astounding, very accurate and better than the game itself. A lot are just good and even more are just plainly bad. There are even a few mods that aim deliberately for an arcade feel like the one that transforms rFactor in Looney Toons Racing! Again, it all depends on the data you feed the engine.

Try the Sharp Mod made for Shift available on nogripracing and you'll see what I mean.
    Murray Walker: "And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's McLaren as he enters the Swimming Pool."

James Hunt: "Well, that should put them out then."

Xtreme Addict
    Those are still static software accelerated vs dynamic hardware accelerated = in software every possible situation is not calculated,only predetermined.

Xtreme Addict
    Video of soft body effects @ 0:20 sec is what were talking about here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMQDP...ext=1&index=19

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Video of soft body effects @ 0:20 sec is what were talking about here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMQDP...ext=1&index=19
    Carparroz is saying, PhysX is more for eye candies (ie dust, more movement on the trees, etc), and not for actual driving physics.

And from your replies, it's very vague to really conclude that PhysX modifies the driving physics (ie the game engine itself), sounds more like a placebo effect more than anything. I just don't see how PhysX can modify game engine itself, all the demos I see with PhysX or even the ATI physics demo, they are mainly collision detection, fluid, soft body effects, etc. From my understanding of it, this will change how things LOOK rather than how they actually behave to put in simplified terms.

Xtreme Addict
    The calculations of tire wear or suspension damage and engine damage are not seen but felt.

This is Damping

Last edited by Hell Hound; 05-19-2010 at 08:41 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote from ShadowMyth on Guru3D.com nfs shift thread

Maybe I'm wrong, the increase in fps could be from Hybrid SLI. My second gpu that's dedicated to Physx is defenitly being used. When playing the game its temperature goes up 12c & cools off once the game has been closed.

Xtreme Member
    if the game engine features a modular design then it is possible that the physics library gets swapped out depending on whether there is any hardware support available. Just because physx has mainly been used for effects so far doesnt mean it cant be used for more, its a full physics API with all the tools necessary to do what the OP claims, whether it does so is another question.

Having played the game, i'm actually wondering what effects physx is being used for, there arent any real destructibles, explosions, cloth effects, etc... Maybe physx really kicks in once you have dedicated hardware for it? Its all conjecture on my part.

c[_]
    Soft bodies in racing/driving sims is nothing new, CPU's have been doing it since the guys who made 1nsane made their first game, which I forget the name of, at least that long anyways.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    Only objects around the track are handled by PhysX. Under all the sugar coating and modifications the game it's still gMotor based, so driving physics are computed on your CPU.

If any one wants more sim like handling get this - NFS: Shift - Sharp Tires Mod 5.0

"We are going to hell, so bring your sunblock..."

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    Soft bodies in racing/driving sims is nothing new, CPU's have been doing it since the guys who made 1nsane made their first game, which I forget the name of, at least that long anyways.
    Hungarian developers, Invictus.

"We are going to hell, so bring your sunblock..."

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldon View Post
    Just because physx has mainly been used for effects so far doesnt mean it cant be used for more, its a full physics API with all the tools necessary to do what the OP claims,
    Scalable terrain fedelity
    Delivers physical landscape accuracy and genuine surface reaction for true environmental experiences
    http://www.bfgtech.com/physx/bfgphysx.html (under features & benefits tab)

If your tires are not warmed up you may loose a second or two or If a piece of rubber is on the track and you drive over it you will feel it in your tire's.PhysX has potential.
    Last edited by Hell Hound; 05-20-2010 at 02:13 AM.

I am Xtreme
    If your tires are not warmed up you may loose a second or two or If a piece of rubber is on the track and you drive over it you will feel it in your tire's.PhysX has potential.
    I don't understand how you can feel things like these with your eyes through a PhysX enabled graphics card.

If you want to feel the tires you need to be in a car or on a seat with steering wheel with force feedback vibration system and you need of course the game to have support for all these things in the game engine.
    Intel Core i7 930 @ 4.1 GHz (196x21 - 1.28v)
    Corsair H50 (2x Noctua NF-P12 in Push/Pull)
    Asus P6T Deluxe/OC Palm Edition
    Asus 4870x2 (Stock)
    3GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800
    3x Seagate Savvio 15K 36GB in Raid 0 on Perc 5/i
    2x Samsung Spinpoint HD501LJ in Raid 0
    2x Western Digital WD6400AAKS
    Creative SB X-Fi Elite Pro series / Logitech Z-5500 THX
    Razer Lycosa Mirror Edition / Razer Lachesis
    Coolermaster HAF 932
    Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W PSU
    HP LP2475w

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast