Thread: SuperFetch: How it Works & Myths

Post SuperFetch: How it Works & Myths

In the interest of the topic recently, I came across this article. It's a good read.

http://www.osnews.com/story/21471/Su...it_Works_Myths
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Addict
    I read the article, all I have to say is that WoW still runs much better with it off than on. Specifically the random slowdowns are very infrequent to just about gone. I expect other games would show similar behavior if they used similar amounts of RAM (WoW uses roughly 600MB-16000MB in my situation).

Quote Originally Posted by Levish View Post
    I read the article, all I have to say is that WoW still runs much better with it off than on. Specifically the random slowdowns are very infrequent to just about gone. I expect other games would show similar behavior if they used similar amounts of RAM (WoW uses roughly 600MB-16000MB in my situation).
    But are you using Vista or Win 7? Superfetch was changed and given much lower priority in Win 7. It should not run unless your system is idle or near idle, which means not while gaming.

If you are in Win 7 and can prove that Superfetch is causing slowdowns in games then Microsoft has a very serious problem.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

c[_]
    Every system that has "slow down problems" that i've been fixing for a while has been win7... disable superfetch and away it goes good as new.

The "new" XP search program is STILL broken too.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    Every system that has "slow down problems" that i've been fixing for a while has been win7... disable superfetch and away it goes good as new.

The "new" XP search program is STILL broken too.
    First time I heard about this problem. Is this affecting all Windows 7 installs using superfetch, or just a select few with a specific hardware/software combination? I currently have superfetch disabled, but I was debating on starting using it again. This make me think twice.

c[_]
    still a mix of parts/software as best I can tell.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Guru
    I have had nothing but positive experiences with superfetch. you have to use it for a period of time before it learns your habits. the advantages are much more pronounced on platter drives than ssd, of course. but i still recommend that people use it with ssd. it is basically an intelligent ram drive, with a algorithm that is pretty smart. nothing is faster than ram (i know i know there is something faster, but not in yer box right now)
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Sorry to say, but Intel does not recommend using superfetch on Intel SSD`s

read about it here
    http://download.intel.com/support/ss...usersguide.pdf
    Superfetch is designed to open your frequently used programs more quickly. However, this technique doesn’t speed up an Intel SSD’s performance significantly and can ultimately have a negative effect on the performance of the drive. Superfetch is not a feature on Microsoft Windows XP.
    Last edited by dctokyo; 06-15-2010 at 06:52 PM. Reason: added the word Intel SSD`s

Xtreme Addict
    If you disable superfetch you cannot use ready boost
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by little_scrapper View Post
    If you disable superfetch you cannot use ready boost
    For memory configurations 1GB or higher, ReadyBoost does not improve system performance, at least not enough for you to notice it. ReadyBoost stores snippets of data that are repeatedly requested from the hard drives on the premise that the media used for the ReadyBoost storage can respond much more quickly than the slower, mechanical hard drive. This is very different from the purpose of the page file (although both are aimed at increasing the overall efficiency of the whole system). ReadyBoost is most effective in system with minimal system memory and/or in situations where a finite number of file segments are needed repeatedly by the operating system and/or applications.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by dctokyo View Post
    For memory configurations 1GB or higher, ReadyBoost does not improve system performance, at least not enough for you to notice it. ReadyBoost stores snippets of data that are repeatedly requested from the hard drives on the premise that the media used for the ReadyBoost storage can respond much more quickly than the slower, mechanical hard drive. This is very different from the purpose of the page file (although both are aimed at increasing the overall efficiency of the whole system). ReadyBoost is most effective in system with minimal system memory and/or in situations where a finite number of file segments are needed repeatedly by the operating system and/or applications.
    I agree. Hehe. Readyboost does absolutely nothing for modern hardware with lots of ram.
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.