Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Killer 2100 adds FPS?

Xtreme Addict

Killer 2100 adds FPS?

http://www.bootdaily.com/index.php?o...1491&Itemid=51

I'm not sure how this works. Assuming they followed standard benchmarking practice by running the same time demo, etc, etc, same conditions, is a 5-10 FPS boost really possible?

Since it's online, there's no way they can guarantee the same experience, but still, huge gains either mean:

a) bad practice

b) faking

c) something really is up,

Whereas statistically insignificant gains can be chalked up to error.
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Xtreme Addict
    are you honestly that surprised?
    the whole point of the card is to add FPS by not having the CPU handle networking.
    is 10FPS is possible, undoubtedly, but 5FPS i would not be surprised.
    Last edited by ripken204; 05-18-2010 at 07:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

Xtreme Addict
    Flying through Space, with armoire, Armoire of INVINCIBILATAAAAY!
    Depends on how pointlessly overpowered your CPU is. It could potentially give you better performance, since it takes some load off the CPU. Then again, so would any other discrete NIC.
    Sigs are obnoxious.

I am Xtreme
    10KB/sec going through the network card (LOTRO) can't tax the CPU enough to reduce the FPS by 5-10.
    This 'review' is a waste of time.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Addict
    Probably not noticeable on overclocked pimprigs
    >i5-3570K
    >Asrock Z77E-ITX Wifi
    >Asus GTX 670 Mini
    >Cooltek Coolcube Black
    >CM Silent Pro M700
    >Crucial M4 128Gb Msata
    >Cooler Master Seidon 120M
    Hell yes its a mini-ITX gaming rig!

Devil kept pokin'
    Audio processing on the cpu takes up on a quad what maybe 5% of resources and gains from removing it are what 5fps on a good day.
    The network activity ~1%?

Im speculating here fill me in

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by slaveondope View Post
    Audio processing on the cpu takes up on a quad what maybe 5% of resources and gains from removing it are what 5fps on a good day.
    The network activity ~1%?

Im speculating here fill me in
    Depends on the network activity.
    Downloading @ 100Mbit speed for me is around 0-2% of CPU used. And most of it is coming from the disk activity.
    So for 1Mbit or less you will not be able to notice it at all.
    In fact, most integrated NICs do most (if not all, depends on the way you setup them) of network processing on their own.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

SLC
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    10KB/sec going through the network card (LOTRO) can't tax the CPU enough to reduce the FPS by 5-10.
    This 'review' is a waste of time.
    QFT. There is no way in the world this 'review' is valid.

Xtreme Addict
    If they put the knife heatsink back on I'm in.

just kidding!
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Xtreme Cruncher
    I wonder if Bigfoot Networks is paying the reviewer? Sounds like bull to me...

I am Xtreme
    lol 8fps avarage for lotr... in his dreams.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Maybe with a singlecore rig but with quads becoming mainstream this is unnecessary

Xtreme Member
    So hes trying to prove CPU network overhead in a game using a single GTS 250 at 1920x1200? What a douche bag. A 30 fps difference in max frames in L4D2. lawl

Intel Core i7 3770K | Asus Maximus V Gene | 16GB DDR3-1600 | Asus GTX 670 directCU TOP | Intel 320 120GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Enermax Revolution 1050W | Silverstone TJ08-E | Dell UltraSharp U2711

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    Sounds more like the difference of running Disributed Computing while gaming versus having it snoozed/off entirely while gaming; if you run both at the same time you'll be losing performance, but the difference is typically a joke (except in a few games; GTA IV can't run smoothly at the same time as BOINC/WCG can). Then there's also the question of whether an Intel NIC can give the same "boost" as that Bigfoot thing... if a $30 Intel card can, then they'll lose sales if the performance gains actually exist. And how many times did this moron run the test? If you're testing for one difference, common practice is to benchmark it 3-5 times, preferably off of a clean install.
    Last edited by Bobsama; 05-18-2010 at 09:01 AM.

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ownage View Post
    Probably not noticeable on overclocked pimprigs
    this

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsama View Post
    Sounds more like the difference of running Disributed Computing while gaming versus having it snoozed/off entirely while gaming; if you run both at the same time you'll be losing performance, but the difference is typically a joke (except in a few games; GTA IV can't run smoothly at the same time as BOINC/WCG can). Then there's also the question of whether an Intel NIC can give the same "boost" as that Bigfoot thing... if a $30 Intel card can, then they'll lose sales if the performance gains actually exist. And how many times did this moron run the test? If you're testing for one difference, common practice is to benchmark it 3-5 times, preferably off of a clean install.
    from what i hear (though don't have evidence to support) is that the intel nic actually adds more fps and has better latency than the bigfoot solution. this is probably because the intel card isn't trying to "fake out" other gamers online by sending false latency info. the reason bigfoot is still in business is because the market their product to gamers, and gamers believe the high price means it has extra special spooky-voodoo. just like asus' "republic of gamers" mobo line...
    Last edited by 570091D; 05-18-2010 at 09:11 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am an artist (EDM producer/DJ), pls check out mah stuff.

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 570091D View Post
    gamers believe the high price means it has extra special spooky-voodoo. just like asus' "republic of gamers" mobo line...
    ?? it doesnt?? and i was buying mac products all this time thinkings that they were magic becuase all the money spent on it.. (steve jobs says his products are magical

FuxinMagic!! like magnets.
    Last edited by NKrader; 05-18-2010 at 09:31 AM.

Xtreme Member
    LOL @Killer2100

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jam2k View Post
    LOL @Killer2100
    Dude it's not 4chan here, you're on xtremesystems.

Forum etiquette says you have to say something RELEVANT or at least FUNNY when you post.

sorry for the

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by metalop1g View Post

Forum etiquette says you have to say something RELEVANT or at least FUNNY when you post.

sorry for the
    and it was kinda relivant, as he was talking about mystical voodoo magic stuff.

haha i will link my responce on the last 3 of these threads..

i have said i would buy these just becuase its nifty. i love snake oil and all of its greatness!!

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by metalop1g View Post

sorry for the
    Apparently you have missed the hundreds if not thousands of posts less when a full sentence, if not less then a few words.
    fermiNow Dave will see FERMI where ever I go
    Quote Originally Posted by jbartlett323 View Post
    So please return to the "Darkside of the Moon" and check your "Pulse" while you wait for the "Animals" that will be "Obscured By Clouds". And watch me wave as I say "Wish You Were Here" in "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"

Xtreme Addict
    The performance gains shown in that review are simply too good to be true. What I don't understand is why the killer NIC marketing team keep emphasizing FPS gain instead of smoother network traffic, lower ping etc.?

Xtreme Member
    Alright then maybe it's me that's being an ass here, and it's really not what I want to be. I let this one go folks

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SamHughe View Post
    The performance gains shown in that review are simply too good to be true. What I don't understand is why the killer NIC marketing team keep emphasizing FPS gain instead of smoother network traffic, lower ping etc.?
    Because this card is simply a jack of all trades, it even makes your rig boot faster. Also, grills steaks very well.
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ripken204 View Post
    are you honestly that surprised?
    the whole point of the card is to add FPS by not having the CPU handle networking.
    is 10FPS is possible, undoubtedly, but 5FPS i would not be surprised.
    Yes, considering the resolution is GPU-limited. If switching different CPU models yields less differences (% difference in CPU power is large), how can swapping in a NIC help more?
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    How many MP games are multithreaded? Very few. The point is you have a game which is maxxing out your CPU, to take anything from the CPU usage is to reduce FPS. 5-10FPS is more than possible but not at crysis max 1900 res+.

Where the marketing fails is if you have a $200 NIC, why not spend that $200 on a better video card which will get you more than 10FPS.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast