Thread: Cursor bug and UAC prompt flicker?

Cursor bug and UAC prompt flicker?

So, i know ATI have had some problems with their new cards and big cursors, it's not exactly my problem, but lately i've noticed that my cursor suddenly turns into a small thin line, it looks like 5 very small cursors put beneath each other, forming a vertical line running about 2cm. Haven't happened to often, only seen it 2 times so far, and it seems to go back to normal after a few minutes. Anyone experienced something like this? Or similar?

The other problem i've had is with the UAC prompt. Sometimes when the UAC prompt pops up, my screen goes totally black for 1-2seconds, it's like the screen goes to "sleep" mode, and after that i returns to normal with the dimmed screen and UAC pop up. But other times it's normal, the screen gets dimmed right away and the UAC prompt pops up.

My guess is that both are minor driver problems, but if anyone have had similar issue, please tell, also if you know how to fix one or both of these issue let me know.

Am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit with Asus 5870 and Catalyst 10.4 WHQL.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    No UAC problems (it's disabled ha ha).
    Saw the 2cm line cursor bug a couple of times though really rare considering how much I use this rig. On a multi-monitor setup I just move the cursor quickly back and forth between the 2 monitors (only get the bug when moving from middle monitor to left monitor and never when gaming).

Xtreme Member
    I have the UAC thing but my screen only goes blank for half a second and then back.
    Antec 900
    Corsair TX750
    Gigabyte EP45 UD3P
    Q9550 E0 500x8 4.0 GHZ 1.360v
    ECO A.L.C Cooler with Gentle Typhoon PushPull
    Kingston HyperX T1 5-5-5-18 1:1
    XFX Radeon 6950 @ 880/1300 (Shader unlocked)
    WD Caviar Black 2 x 640GB - Short Stroked 120GB RAID0 128KB Stripe - 540GB RAID1

Yea, both are pretty minor issues, but if anyone should know a clever solution i would really like to hear it, because if it's possible to fix yourself, that would be nice.

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrius View Post
    So, i know ATI have had some problems with their new cards and big cursors, it's not exactly my problem, but lately i've noticed that my cursor suddenly turns into a small thin line, it looks like 5 very small cursors put beneath each other, forming a vertical line running about 2cm. Haven't happened to often, only seen it 2 times so far, and it seems to go back to normal after a few minutes. Anyone experienced something like this? Or similar?

My guess is that both are minor driver problems, but if anyone have had similar issue, please tell, also if you know how to fix one or both of these issue let me know.
    Haven't run into the UAC bug, but the cursor issue is a well-known problem that ATi still have yet to fix and I encounter at least twice a day. Problem is restricted to Win7, does not appear on Vista, and usually only afflicts those with multiple monitors - are you using more than one screen?

As mentioned above, one fix that works for some is to rapidly wiggle the cursor between the two screens, which can sometimes "shake" the corrupted cursor back to normal, or otherwise you can turn on pointer trails, which solves the cursor corruption but unfortunately borks performance in 3D games. Rebooting is the only guaranteed fix I've come across, unfortunately.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Got a TV connected to the HDMI port on the 5870 yes, though, am not using it too much, so i've just decided to unplug it, and just plug it in when am using it, maybe that will help on the cursor glitch, even though it haven't happened all that often.

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    To the best of my knowledge the "stacked cursor" glitch primarily occurs with multiple monitors, so removing the TV should alleviate the symptoms, yes.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

I get the cursor bug as well. Eyefinity setup, and it only ever appears on a DVI connected monitor.
    Asus Z170 A
    Intel i7 6700K@4700MHz
    MSi GTX 1080 Gaming X
    16GB Kingston 2400 DDR4
    3 Samsung U28E 590D's
    Corsair AX 860i PSU
    Samsung 950 Pro NVMe, 2 Samsung 850 Pro SSD's
    Corsair Air 540 case

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ditto: only DVI monitor. When moving from HDMI monitor to DVI monitor. Rare problem. Wouldn't care if it was still there if I could get 5x1P capable driver.

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    It's not restricted to DVI - I get the stacked cursor glitch only on the one monitor connected by DisplayPort
    Rig specs