Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: nVIDIA reference GeForce GTX 480 Mods

Xtreme Member
    Very weird issues going on... I was going to bench the MSI Xpower for Lords... But i got another crap board... Died before I could test the cards on LN2.

I flashed the controller on all cards.. prepped the cards for LN2.. 2 of the cards are prepped for LN2, the third I kept on air... The only thing I can narrow it down is the flash.

I tried it in Win XP and Win 7, Everytime I bring up GPUz or try to set voltage(Tried Precision, AB, SmartDoctor), tried a couple bios's also. No matter what I can't set the clocks on these cards.... Can set voltage.. But no clocks.. as soon as I click set.. Windows locks up. I tried multiple drivers, ones for the Lords contest and several newer ones.

I decided to leave it alone and hook up the fatboy for a Lightning I have been holding on to for a couple months waiting for a cpu, last time I tested 1400 3dmark06, so with 5.8ghz gulf it should be good.. Gives me less of a headache going back to ATI anyway.. If you can send me a backup file that would be great... I knew I should have backed it up.. as a software engineer... I should know better... oh well... lol

Xtreme Member
    I just went over the card on air.. and now its working fine... I just must be delirious... haven't slept in 2 days... damn.. MSI board... lol....

Looks good.. Need more LN2.. then I can test it fully...

-_-
    Quote Originally Posted by steponz View Post
    I did this on my 3 cards.. and now I can't set the clocks with any program... Need a backup.. this is the only thing i did to them and lost the ability to set the gpu core.
    i had the same issue as you. what i found was that it severly limited core clocks. flashed it back and everything is good again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
    I'll add my name to this elpida graveyard as soon I even think about running 32M. (yes, the thought is enough)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    im benching my card right now, flashed the ocp / ovp firmware, but i dont think it worked? :S , with lower voltage, i get a bit higher. ( 1.25 or 1.30V ) to 1.2 / 1.225 , hardly believe the scaling stopped there.

i used command:

chlflash -t chl8266 chilocp.txt

That should do the update right?

with 1.275V / 1.3V with GT1 @ vantage, when the girl jumps in the water to her boat thingy, there i get a black screen.
    Last edited by thijs; 07-28-2010 at 06:26 AM.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Did you check for OCP or just guessing it's OCP ?
    The command is right.
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Enthusiast
    im benching at 1.23V , anything higher then that results in a black screen, usually at the same 2 / 3 places in GT1, with no artifacts or anything prior to blackscreening indicating the voltage or whatever is to low. 1.25 or 1.275V loweres my maximum core overclock by quite a bit. that's why i concluded it must be OCP related. but if the firmware is correctly flashed, i guess there is not much i can do.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Try lower clocks but higher voltage for starters.
    1.3V @ 1000MHz GPU 2000MHz MEM and see if it gets the job done.
    If yes, the it might be OCP ( maybe MEM ocp ? )

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Enthusiast
    had the issue with low mem aswell btw, stock speed. if that's what you mean.
    Will try that next time.

I tried the OCP/OVP software mod tonight with my two EVGA GeForce GTX 480 Hydro Copper FTW 's.

After firing up afterburner my max voltage is still the same.... 1138. Couldn't go above that before that mod as well.

Shouldn't the mod allow me to go higher on the voltage?

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by eridath View Post
    I tried the OCP/OVP software mod tonight with my two EVGA GeForce GTX 480 Hydro Copper FTW 's.

After firing up afterburner my max voltage is still the same.... 1138. Couldn't go above that before that mod as well.

Nope.
    It doesn't affect the maximum voltage a program allows you to apply.
    To apply more voltage use the Afterburner Extreme 1.60x version found on my site's downloads section

Ah, okay found the site and the download. So that's all I should need or should I still try a mod/modded BIOS along with that program?

Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    Nope.
    It doesn't affect the maximum voltage a program allows you to apply.
    To apply more voltage use the Afterburner Extreme 1.60x version found on my site's downloads section
    Quote Originally Posted by eridath View Post

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    To overclock the card on air/water cooling ? Only the program for higher voltages

Yeah I'm on water. Two separate loops with triple rads.

I'll flash the BIOS back to the default tonight and try that program.

Thanks for the help man.

Xtreme Member
    So I'm guessing that there is ocp still? I have all kinds of problems.. Does'nt matter what temps.. Mostly messes up above 1.25v or so.. Then I get a restart/black screen and I have to turn off the computer to make it work again..

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    I can't tell for sure before I test them out properly ( on LN2 ), I might've missed something ( don't think so, however )
    It might take a while, I'm still waiting for more VGAs and someone to come back from his vacations.

Xtreme Member
    i flashed the ocp / ovp firmware but still have something of ocp +- 1.21v Gray screen
    also if i give 1.145v afterburner it jumps to 1.21v ?

OVERCLOCK TEAM HOLLAND

http://www.overclocking-holland.nl/

Xtreme Member
    Any updates Without the ovp / ocp mod, one gpu ran at 1150 / 1200
    at up to 1.29v / -100c with no problems.. All my other gpu's black screen and freeze above -70c at 1.25v I hav'nt tried the ovp / ocp mod here but I really want to if it works.. Thanks!!

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Sorry guys, I had a LN2 session today but Sophocles wanted to just pin down some numbers asap, so I did hardmod the 2 GTX480s we had here.
    I'll do some proper tests and see if there's something wrong with the modified CHL8266 firmware in the next session, I shall have another GTX480 here next week or so.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    just to let you know benchzowner, i did a ocp hardmod ( the kinc one , removing 3 resistors ) and it helped me, can bench at 1.3V now if i please.
    Not to take you down, but the issue i had was ocp related hope you can sort it out though!

Xtremely Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodar View Post
    Any updates Without the ovp / ocp mod, one gpu ran at 1150 / 1200
    at up to 1.29v / -100c with no problems.. All my other gpu's black screen and freeze above -70c at 1.25v I hav'nt tried the ovp / ocp mod here but I really want to if it works.. Thanks!!
    You should try the hardmod(s), the ocp/ovp firmware for chill IC doesnt help at all.

Xtreme Member
    Yo guys, Where does kinc show you his mods... Thanks!!

Xtremely Addicted

Xtreme Member
    i have now done the hardmod(s), for the ocp/ovp removing 3 resistors

OVERCLOCK TEAM HOLLAND

http://www.overclocking-holland.nl/

Xtreme Member
    I did the gpu hard mods and the Benchzowner chilflash too. I can put 1.45 vgpu no problem. My only problem is i still have the CBB issue. I did that hard mod too but I have to warm up my card to around -10c to get it to bot. Kind of sucks if i have a crash. Thank god for shop towels. lol Any idea on that Benchzowner?
    Last edited by GFDuke; 08-06-2010 at 01:37 AM.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Try this alternative mod for the CBB issue guys: [ obviously, you have to undo the original CBB mod shown by Kinc ]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast