Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dominance RAM Pot & LN2 // Corsair Dominator GTX2 // 13 Hour Cadda 6 Party

uncore challenged...

Thumbs up Dominance RAM Pot & LN2 // Corsair Dominator GTX2 // 13 Hour Cadda 6 Party

Well it is about damn time I posted some results with this little pot after talkin shyt for so long about the insulation. Like the good little reviewer that I am, I completely forgot to take photos of the pot before I started insulating it . Needless to say, it is a block of aluminum and if you really want to see it naked you freak, head over to K|ngp|nCooling.com as Vince has a photo posted there. There should be some internal shots in this thread or my insulation guide thread.

As mentioned, I have already done a detailed insulation thread so I won't go into details here. The Dominance Memory Cooler insulation guide can be found at this thread here. I prepared insulation in hopes of being able to run extended sessions for testing memory...today I went over the top in proving that the insulation can handle extended sessions. Let's just call this post a memory clocking bender. I simply wanted to relax, have some fun, and test sub-zero memory for an exorbitant amount of time...mission accomplished, and got a couple fun results too boot

***\start big caveat to the results/***
    I completely forgot I was using a development BIOS from ASUS for this testing until someone inquired about the version in the screen shots. You will have to call me Pro Jr./Hicookie Jr. here as I am using a BIOS that potentially inflates 32M performance over that of the retail BIOS's. In my quick testing of this BIOS i found it gained about .3 ~.4 over the previous BIOS I was using (0402), but I didn't exhaustively test it. Some are reporting higher performance gains but I think it is user error on their part

Either way, here is a link to the 0046 BIOS. Don't say I never gave you whining brats anything. Use at your own discretion, if you bork a BIOS, you have a second on board...bork two and you don't deserve to have a board and I am in no way responsible for your special olympic qualifying behaviour.

I am not propping up the R3E's 32M performance on ASUS's behalf in this thread, it just happens to be the board i prepped for sub-zero...that is all. I am being paid handsomely by Vince (think in the hundreds of thousands of $$$'s) to promote his $45 RAM cooling pot. Don't read anymore into it you illiterate forum monkey's.
    ***/end big caveat to the results\***

Now enough of the bullshyt, on to some photo's and screen shots.

Click for full size...

From left to right, we found ice forming on the front edge of the board at Vince's during our initial run. I remedied this by extending the eraser right to the edge of the board, and mated it to a couple layers of Armaflex tape. This should seal up this edge nicely.

With the base insulation and evap mounted, all that is left is to put the pot on. It was at this point that I realized just how sexy this insulation setup is. I knew it was going to be a long night as I vowed to bench until the LN2 was gone if the rig wanted to.

The last photo above simply shows me warming the system up before turning on the phase...everything registered correctly (AKA all three slots were up and running Patrick...yes, I checked before putting the insulation on this time ).

Click for full size...

These are just some random photos taken during the 13 hour session. For the first couple hours I kept pot temp at -25C'ish while fighting 7-7-6 clocks. I really didn't get shyt for clocks at CL7...which was also the case at Vince's.

The last photo is how the last 8-9 hours of the session were ran. Usually at 1.85v and pot temp at -50C ~ -60C. This is when I switched to cadda 6 and life was good.

Code:
    Hardware used:
    RAM:         Corsair Dominator GTX2 (reviewed @ Hardware Canucks)     
    MB:          ASUS "R3E 95" (Developmental BIOS 0046)
    CPU:         Intel i7 980x ES (1.425v VTT limit :( ) // Intel i7 975 ES (2:12 ratio is dead :( )
    CPU Cooling: Chilly 1 single stage (tuned by Ruffus)
    GPU:         HD5870 w/ghetto HR05-RevA
    NB Cooling:  Noctua NC-U6
    SB Cooling:  Enzotech SLF-1
    PWM Cooling: Swiftech MC14's
    PSU:         Corsair HX1000W
    HD:          Seagate SATAII 80GB 8MB NCQ

Ambient Temperature: 22-23C
    Click for full size...

I have already had requests...so here is your fog, frost, and outright snow shots

Basically, I am a loser. Addicted to the 32M LCC. It has been too long since I put any effort into anything so this session was dedicated to the sub 7min category. The goal was to max out the memory to get the best frequency I could. After my issues with 7-7-6, it turned into a Cadda 6 party...enjoy

5051MHz // 1010MHz 6-6-5 // 6m 59.516
    Click for full size...

I might as well not piss around and just show the good stuff. This is the best I could pull off. With the CPU multi lowered, and BCLK raised I managed a 7m 00.149 @ 5041MHz...but the memory was tapped at that point and the last .149 was not to be had. The uncore limit of 4.2GHz'ish is the biggest thing holding this setup back. The Gulftown likes the uncore and this chip just can't supply it. Still pretty fun to run uber tight timings with no uncore and compete.

4992MHz // 1040MHz 6-6-5 // 1.85v
    Click for full size...

There was just no way I could get the extra couple BCLK to get sub 7m with this CPU multi. Going higher in voltage didn't help get the extra clocks which leads me to believe either the sticks are just done there, or the IMC can't handle more. So call this the max 6-6-5 clocks...at 'only' 1.85v and -50C pot temp.

3998MHz // 1052MHz 6-6-5 // 1.88v
    Click for full size...

This is a small update on 6-6-5 clocks with a 975 for the CPU. The secondary timings are stupid loose but I did manage to get this to run once. These modules don't like 1.90v+ and 1050MHz wouldn't run with 1.85v so I met them half way and squeezed a run out. Unfortunately this CPU won't run 5040MHz for a sub 7min run

3998MHz // 1052MHz 6-7-6 // 1.81v
    Click for full size...

Again, nothing more would get higher clocks on the memory leading me to believe it is an IMC limit. The 1.425v VTT that this chip is limited to really appears to be hindering the memory overclocks...even at cadda 6. Again max frequency achieved here was 1052MHz 6-7-6 @ 1.81v -50C pot temp.

Overall the 13 hours I benched were quite informative, but unfortunately this IMC ran out of gas at possibly even 6-6-5, certainly at 6-7-6/7-7-6. I have another kit of Dominator GT 2000C7's that I might try with this setup just to confirm my speculations on the IMC.

As for the Dominance memory cooling pot, how can I complain? It is super easy to maintain temps within a tight range, and can easily handle extended bench sessions. Vince has done a bang up job with this pot. And for only $45! It definitely gets my . Here are some photos of tear down.

Click for full size...

As I mentioned, this insulation job is perfect. There is no moisture anywhere, and no vaseline in the slots is required. Even an extremely long 13 hour session with pot temps at -50C for the last 8 hours couldn't penetrate this insulation method which left the DIMM slots bone dry
    Last edited by 3oh6; 05-15-2010 at 10:53 AM.
    i don't quote in my signature, but best WR ever...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jor3lBR View Post
    It holds the current WR for the least vcore required to run 4500Mhz stable (1.32vcore)
    i can't even make that shyt up ^^^

-_-
    Nice job Jody
    Quote Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
    I'll add my name to this elpida graveyard as soon I even think about running 32M. (yes, the thought is enough)

¿
    Beautiful setup, it was only a matter of time till we saw some real 'dominance' out of it

Admin
    Damn, new settings for performance wr.

Memory Addict
    bloody nice 13hr session - dam now that's dedication

surprised the uncore frequency on that 980x is so limited
    ---

Of course Im not biased or anything , but sweet review. I saw him preparing his mem insulation in person. Perfect conainment of the cold zone. If you spend the time, you wont do the time.
    Like someone else said, you could float down the river with that insulation job man

Admin
    Yeah, he's really meticulous.

Xtreme Member
    One word : Perfect ......

Xtreme Legend
    nice work mate
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Assistant Administrator systemviper's Avatar
    great effort, thanks for the post.

I have what might be a bonehead question, can't get Ln2 SO how do you think that mem pot
    would work with dice, to shallow? or something you might point out....
    not looking to bench for long periods of time but for 45.00
    it might be fun to play with.....

thanks in advance...
    HWbot - Team: XtremeSystems
    XS cruncher - Team: XtremeSystems
    OCN Feedback
    HEAT

*** Being kind is sometimes better then being right.

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by systemviper View Post
    great effort, thanks for the post.

I have what might be a bonehead question, can't get Ln2 SO how do you think that mem pot
    would work with dice, to shallow? or something you might point out....
    not looking to bench for long periods of time but for 45.00
    it might be fun to play with.....

thanks in advance...
    mate it would work the same just pack the dice without acetone and watch the temp probe

you honestly won't need more than -30C on the Hyper IC sticks as pro and I have done a lot of RAM subzero benching last year for F1OC
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

uncore challenged...
    thanks guys, i have been waiting to be able to have a memory clocking session like that for far too long

and yeah, Dinos is bang on...temps don't need to be low. dice in rice or pellet form would be ideal as it would prolly keep the pot temp right at -30C~-40C. keep in mind there is absolutely no load swing or anything like that, it is just a matter of keeping pot temp right where you want it.

to be honest, i wanted to do this session with dry ice. i figured it would be easier and less work. pouring LN2 was a PITA because you could only hit the pot with 10-12 drops of LN2 or the temp would swing too much...but you had to hit the pot every 20~30 seconds. made for a very very tiring session.

Quote Originally Posted by eva2000 View Post
    bloody nice 13hr session - dam now that's dedication

surprised the uncore frequency on that 980x is so limited
    dedication or stupidity...the jury is out on that one. and yeah, low VTT limit of 1.425v i am sure is the deciding factor in the low uncore of this chip. but keep in mind, temps are only -30C at coldest at the evap so the uncore isn't "terrible", but still not good by any stretch.
    Last edited by 3oh6; 05-13-2010 at 04:12 PM.
    It holds the current WR for the least vcore required to run 4500Mhz stable (1.32vcore)

Assistant Administrator systemviper's Avatar
    top notch guys ,,,, thanks
    HWbot - Team: XtremeSystems
    XS cruncher - Team: XtremeSystems
    OCN Feedback
    HEAT

*** Being kind is sometimes better then being right.

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post

dedication or stupidity...the jury is out on that one. and yeah, low VTT limit of 1.425v i am sure is the deciding factor in the low uncore of this chip. but keep in mind, temps are only -30C at coldest at the evap so the uncore isn't "terrible", but still not good by any stretch.
    yes it's most likely the VTT volts. The temps you are running should not stop you doing 4.8GHz uncore if the CPU/board/bios/RAM combo is capable of it.

i know others that have chips that absolutely hate VTT so it might be just bad luck with that chip
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Xtreme Mentor
    WOW!!!!

Nice job!!
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme XIP

Thumbs up

As always very informative and rigorous througth review wich excells above all others , loving the Ram Pot . Now Jody go get some well deserved sleep

uncore challenged...
    thanks ladies

Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    yes it's most likely the VTT volts. The temps you are running should not stop you doing 4.8GHz uncore if the CPU/board/bios/RAM combo is capable of it.

i know others that have chips that absolutely hate VTT so it might be just bad luck with that chip
    yeah, there are a lot of chips that are seeing VTT limits on them. but i have also seen a lot of chips that uncore scales with cold...this one in particular. under LN2 i can get uncore up to 4.4GHz range, and many others will attest to this as well.

looks like i need a cascade for memory testing, get a plate made to mount the single stage on the Dominator sticks...and test memory all day without getting up

threw the sticks in today back on ambient to check and see how they were doing...not a single sign of any issues. they maxed out at 1040MHz 7-7-6 @ 1.65v in testing on the day i got them, and i ran this last night at 1.65v on the DMM...

so all is good in the hood

I am Xtreme
    the no swing....is because the sticks themselves are just 1-2w

too bad the imc is holding you back...

still i like the no frost/water around the ram slots good job insulating

Corsair Rep
    Bows to the god of insulation

13 hours and no moisture rocks. That has to be some sort of record in itself.
    Yes, Yellowbeard, a tall rough man with a big yellow beard

Tyler Durden
    Great clocks and timings Jody. That is no joke...6-6-5 @ over 2000MHz is just nuts... You are almost as good a memory tweaker as me now.
    Formerly XIP, now just P.

uncore challenged...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    the no swing....is because the sticks themselves are just 1-2w

too bad the imc is holding you back...

still i like the no frost/water around the ram slots good job insulating
    hard to say if the IMC is holding back, could just be the sticks. i think i am going to test the 2000C7's i have here, just to see if i hit the same limits. with that said, these sticks aren't as good on air so it will be interesting to see how they translate on cold.

but yeah, on moisture after that long is so nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
    Bows to the god of insulation

13 hours and no moisture rocks. That has to be some sort of record in itself.
    haha, there are no bullshyt records in this thread my friend

but thanks, overkill insulation is soooo much better than trying to trouble shoot a funky rig while benching. i'll take the OCD approach to insulation any day

Quote Originally Posted by EnJoY View Post
    Great clocks and timings Jody. That is no joke...6-6-5 @ over 2000MHz is just nuts... You are almost as good a memory tweaker as me now.
    yeah, 1040MHz 6-6-5 was kind of a surprise. still want more knowing it does that at 1.85v. sooo...i reloaded:

full dewar and 20lbs'ish of dry ice for the memory. just have to decide what i want to bench tonight. look for the livestream if you are up for some boring ass endless 32M runs.

streaming the setup right now and will be benching shortly after...

http://www.livestream.com/3oh6
    Last edited by 3oh6; 05-14-2010 at 11:36 AM.

Never go full retard
    Excellent work Jody!

Looking forward to seeing how well your plan works out with dice.

Xtreme Addict
    I already congratulated you like a thousand times, but I feel like it's worth it once more Congratulations

uncore challenged...
    haha, thanks guys. but i haven't done anything special here...just showing off Vince's nice cheap little pot. have i mentioned it is only $45USD!!!

i am streaming right now with dry ice in the pot...without acetone it is holding pot temps steady -35C ~ -40C. i have pebble sized dry ice pelletts but also crushing some into snow and it is just perfect. less work than LN2 by a mile and holds temps right where i want them. now this is what i call easy benching

boring as hell to watch, but i am gonna go grab another web cam so i can at least switch back and forth from the rig to the screen

http://www.livestream.com/3oh6

Wanna look under my kilt?
    Your SPi time at 5.05GHz is just rude

Great work Loving the insulation

Shame we cant pump so much VTT into the 980x... mine feels held-back big-time by the voltage ceiling.... or maybe im just a :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast