Thread: Need a apps storage solution

Xtreme Enthusiast

Need a apps storage solution

Hello everyone,

I need your help to choose for a app storage solution. I am a cruncher so all my rig are never turned off and are always running at full load so i dont need some fast boot up time. I am mostly looking for a application storage soltuion that is faster than my samsung spinpoint f3 that i currently have in my daily rig. I would need atleast 80gb of space and my budget klimit is 500$. My apps that i mostly use is adobe premiere, some games, word and chrome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DDtung
    We overclock and crunch you to the ground

ocz vertex2?
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

YouTube Addict
    Since the hard drive performance isn't generally the choke point of performance for Adobe Premiere, I'd suggest spending that money on more ram and let the operating system's prefetch automatically improve the performance.
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I already planned to get more memoiry for premiere usage but for games and other apps, should i get a ssd or a velociraptor or a hybrid hdd. A small ssd for os, a velociraptor for premiere and games and a 1tb hdd for data would be the best solution ?

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by snoro View Post
    I already planned to get more memory for premiere usage but for games and other apps, should i get a ssd or a velociraptor or a hybrid hdd. A small ssd for os, a velociraptor for premiere and games and a 1tb hdd for data would be the best solution ?
    The honest truth is in terms of user experience, you are not going to notice the difference. [Since if everything is properly prefetched, then the only thing that could be different is boot time and you already said that isn't a concern]
    So using any drive that is convenient or cheap.
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

i noticed a huge pickup with an agility over 2x501j with having 4GB of ram and since i went to windows7 it hasnt been cashing things and even on vista it only cashed the exe so loading things like adobe stuff should improve with an SSD. there is nothing much over a properly partitioned f3 anyways sure there is the raptor but its still close for loading programs but an ssd is much faster. the only reason for a vr is for IOps on the cheap not a bulk read.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

I am Xtreme
    @ snaro - do you already have an SSD for your OS?
    Seems like most folks here try to put the OS and all aps (or at least all frequently used apps) on SSD.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    nah i only have a samsung spinpoint f3 500gb that i woul like to use only for data and have a seperate and faster storage solution for os and apps. Big matter is mostly apps load time.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm suggesting an SSD, or a couple in RAID for both OS and apps, and then spinners for your data.
    2x x25-M 80GB will fit your budget, and hold your OS + apps, it seems from what you listed.

I am Xtreme
    +1 with GullLars.