Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Killer NIC Gaming Network card

Xtreme Supporter
    This for your clients: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833106011
    This for your servers: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833106014

I use the dual port for my file server.

Quote Originally Posted by Hell Hound View Post
    30% min fps gain is like a gpu upgrade
    a 30% boost in minum fps on a game that has no bench mark, is completely dynaic with spawns, and has an FPS dependent on a server is meaning less, the only way to bench l4d is to make a demo then have different hardware render it there is no way to bench the game while testing a nic, same for UT3. go an hook it up to an iscsi san and do some benching other than that there is little to no way to bench this kind of thing. in the past the killer parts used the same networking parts that u can get from any low end networking hardware that would be in workstation or low load servers. the only good thing that they had was the low latency usb port with its own IO buss but now thats gone i dont see a reason to even look at this. there is a reason why they have a cover on the card they dont want u to see that they used a marvel or intel chip with what i would guess would have a 512KB cashe. if they made a good part then u would see it used in servers and workstations connected to sans as their time per unit is worth more than enough to justify a $200-300 nic.

i dont know about other people in this thread but i went to school to build and deploy servers/SANs for exchange and other high load enterprise email systems, if there was a reason to use more than a cheap NIC there would be myself and many others who would have them and would go for more than the $30 intel nic for network load or the $70-80 if u have heavy san load for a single port nic.

im sure that the QOS software would make a difference if u maxed out your connection but if u u need to run QOS to limit and even out your upload to not go over your service limit you have a much larger problem on the ISP side and a nic wont fix that.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Member
    they use a broadcom chip

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by xsbb View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PluiscLBN40

SKIP TO 2:54.

INTEL NIC > BIGFOOTNETWORKS

@xsbb Empty servers lol try a full server and actually playing the game.

i'd be even worse huh lol

Anyways, I'm trying to look for that link where a $40 Intel NIC was just as good as a $300 KillerNIC.

This company reminds me of Monster Cables.

Xtreme Addict

Killer 2100 Unboxing with Rod Trotter

Xtreme Enthusiast
    http://www.legitreviews.com/article/478/7/

After spending an evening of gaming with and without the Killer NIC and Killer K1 on both our Windows XP Pro and Windows Vista Ultimate test systems it was the unanimously agreed by all that the Killer NIC and Killer K1 is not worth the added $180-$250 cost. The Killer NIC and Killer K1 did reduce our pings and improved frame rates, but by less than 5%.

The difference was so small that no one could correctly tell when the Killer NIC was or wasn't installed in our 'blind' taste test, which was rather alarming. If someone is going to spend $180-$250 on something they better be able to see and notice the difference when they game.

If you really want to improve you ping time take the price of the $250 Killer NIC and upgrade your DSL or cable line to the next level up! The $250 Killer NIC will free up $20.83 a month for a year, which might just be enough to get a faster internet package!

Xtreme Addict
    Those are the first ones,not even the xeno's lol.

Xtreme Addict
    That was the best unboxing I have ever seen.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_Data View Post
    Anyone with a tiny background in networking will know this product fails.

You showed ping graph times, (LFD and UT), the only real ping test you could do, to eliminate any other variables, is to be next to the server in the datacenter. Now you are dealing with all the internet latency and everything else, which makes this test bogus...

For any home user, any on-board NIC will do just fine. Furthermore, on-board nic now supports jumbo frames and will speed up file transfers in your LAN if configured correctly, KILLER doesnt even support that.

For internet gameplay, you need a good isp with low latency. Thats it. Your NIC will not change internet latency, ever.

It is a product marketed towards gullible rich kids that needs to have everything, period.

Well said. Could not agree more!

they use a broadcom chip
    thats even worse than intel or marvel to get worse u have to go for a casheless part
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    He said this new 2100 is the
    Fastest Network accelerator on the planet
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26R_W...eature=related
    Last edited by Hell Hound; 05-11-2010 at 02:48 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Gimmick,

Again, the "network accelerator" will only "accelerate" what it touches, not your modem, the ISP switches, the internet backbone, then the gaming server.

Why are you so defensive about this (crap) product? Why wouldnt you at least give in a bit and talk intelligently about this?

Xtreme Member
    Gimmick,

Again, the "network accelerator" will only "accelerate" what it touches, not your modem, the ISP switches, the internet backbone, then the gaming server.

Why are you so defensive about this (crap) product? Why wouldnt you at least give in a bit and talk intelligently about this?
    He is likely a paid representative of the company, or works for it.

That being said, while his pitch will not hold water here on XS (As we go by objective data and don't take kindly to marketing posturing), the product is not "crap". It is merely a high end product that is priced disproportionately higher than its actual utility.

It is just like a rolex watch. People who know nothing else about watches will want to purchase one just because it performs well and costs more than something of comparable function. That being said, a rolex is likely a damn good watch, and the killer NIC is a good NIC.

All being said, if it was 40 dollars it would have a decent argument on XS. At its current cost, its nothing but a ludicrous increase in cost for a flashy package.

Banned
    Gimmick,

I think it's because he's from Shillinois...

YouTube Addict
    oh look they took our suggestion.
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Addict
    I don't work for them and is just saying wait for benches.I went from 1.5mb to 16mb and that didn't help with my ping in css.

What does that mean Katy. I will not benefit from making a post about this product.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step View Post
    oh look they took our suggestion.
    ???????
    fermiNow Dave will see FERMI where ever I go
    Quote Originally Posted by jbartlett323 View Post
    So please return to the "Darkside of the Moon" and check your "Pulse" while you wait for the "Animals" that will be "Obscured By Clouds". And watch me wave as I say "Wish You Were Here" in "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    If I am going to buy a workstation NIC for over $200 it better be 10gbit.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGore View Post
    If I am going to buy a workstation NIC for over $200 it better be 10gbit.
    It will be $129 usd.

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Pretty sure these cards are magic just like magnets... and well worth 300$+

they agree with me

Xtreme Addict
    Fail,xenos is $99 usd this one will be $129 usd.

Xtreme Mentor
    Fail,xenos is $99 usd this one will be $129 usd.
    You fail.
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Xtreme Addict
    Make another garbage post like that and this will escalate.

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
    you fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by hell hound View Post
    make another garbage post like that and this will escalate.
    you fail
    Last edited by NKrader; 05-11-2010 at 05:17 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Any type of physical contact on your mind pm me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast